Eugenia Cooney

..she is topic on Daily Mail frontpage

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...s-accuse-promoting-anorexia-teenage-fans.html

She is delusional imho. And personally I find her ridiculous to look at. But I better shut up and don't mention the stupid hair, annoying voice and fashion even 4yo would deny to put on and lack of delicate features. All this and her flaunting her limbs still doesn't deserve the internet drama people have created.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Basically I have very mixed feelings about this. Firstly, yes she is worryingly thin, but since when was it ok to accuse someone of PROMOTING an eating disorder when she in fact never even talks about it? I think the whole article is a load of crap because they talk about how the fact that she shows her body encorouges people to get anorexia. What do you expect her to do, wear a potato sack or something? Also, I see no overweight youtubers - despite there being many- being called out for promoting obesity or binge eating when they openly stuff their faces with junk food.

On the other hand, if anything, I hope that she thinks about the issue herself and pulls off YouTube because the attention is not helpful in any way. Poor girl.

• Agree
  • Funny
Reactions: 8 users
1581ni9.jpg

15vi4m.png

I'm no expert on Youtube, but I don't think this is the best thing to post if she's trying to convince everyone she doesn't have an eating disorder.

The nervous laughing throughout the other video was a bit weird too.... my nephew does that when he's trying to bullshit his way through something.

• Agree
I'm no expert on Youtube, but I don't think this is the best thing to post if she's trying to convince everyone she doesn't have an eating disorder.

Shock factor is literally the only reason anyone pays attention to her.

She is obviously not smart or calculating enough to be doing it "on purpose" for $$ or views or whatever. But even dogs quickly figure out which tricks get them the most attention.

• Agree
Reactions: 10 users
Part of the impulse behind anorexia is to demonstrate through your body a need for love and attention that you can't articulate in words, so it's not strange that she's seeking as much publicity as possible for her emaciated condition and at the same time denying that the problem exists.

As long as she keeps posting on YouTube she will persist in the belief that starvation is an effective strategy to attract an emotional response, but because it is a completely superficial and anonymous form of attention it will never properly satisfy her, meaning she will keep on attention-seeking and stay trapped in the cycle.

She needs to stop perpetuating her craving for notoriety online and rely on the sincere love and understanding of the real people in her life, and they should be helping her to do that. Then she needs medical advice on how to recover from her potentially fatal psychological disease.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 6 users
Shock factor is literally the only reason anyone pays attention to her.

She is obviously not smart or calculating enough to be doing it "on purpose" for $$ or views or whatever. But even dogs quickly figure out which tricks get them the most attention.
I agree with you completely.

Not to be morbid but how long can someone live at this weight?
Well, there's that girl Ashley Isaacs who is severely anorexic and has been so for several years, but she can hardly walk and has to sleep sitting up so her blood pressure doesn't drop and kill her in her sleep.

So, she can live for a while, but she won't be really "living."

• Useful
  • Sad

years. The human body can take a lot of damage, adjust and forgive.

But what kind of quality do you think these women really have ?
And this is what irks me, her pointless videos could make youngster believe that this emaciated body is such a bless to have. Take away the 10 minutes youtube illusion and her day must be a pain in the ass.

Isabel Caro had to face a lot of backlash for her 'promotion' but at least she was real, honest and tried to warn.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

I was just thinking the same thing. Like at some point she has to either die, recover, or disappear Felice-style.

I'm just surprised she can keep from confessing for this long. I mean, at this point we all know it's not some mysterious wasting condition. I'm embarrassed I was holding out hope that it wasn't an ED a few pages ago.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Well, there's that girl Ashley Isaacs who is severely anorexic and has been so for several years, but she can hardly walk and has to sleep sitting up so her blood pressure doesn't drop and kill her in her sleep.

So, she can live for a while, but she won't be really "living."

that's super terrifying.

• Agree

You can live an entire lifetime with severe anorexia. I know several women like that in their 60s who've had the disease for 40+ years. Say bmi around 11-12. I've also known several people who died in their 20s of cardiac failure because their heart was so atrophied and they starved themselves of electrolytes, or due to massive organ failure. Some people have normal longevity despite living well within the danger zone (but as @oferta pointed out, it's a solitary, painful and meaningless existence); others are vulnerable and quickly lose their life. You don't know who will be in which category, so it's impossible to say how long a particular person will survive. However you can guarantee that Eugenia has severe health complications right now, especially bone depletion, possibly kidney and liver damage too, not to mention the risk of sudden death.

As for Ashley Isaacs, I'd say she is a far, far outlier. It's unusual for someone in that state still to be mobile or even fully conscious. In this country she would be legally detained and force-fed.

• Sad
  • Agree
  • Useful
Reactions: 7 users

She's about the same size as a girl who I see on my running route some mornings - she's been roughly that weight for two years that I know of.

When I lived back in the UK and would go running on Sundays I would see a severely anorexic woman (not an assumption, my neighbour knew her) who was around Eugenia's size, judging from her legs, and she lasted for at least five years that I know of without gaining weight. She lived alone and seemed to have no life outside work and walking in endless circles around the village. It seemed to be a fairly sad and lonely existence; most early morning runners and walkers in that area were very cheerful and friendly, but she never looked up or returned a smile. She had such a strange way of walking as well and had to completely cover herself in a padded jacket and hat as soon as it was even slightly cold, so the kids in the village took the piss a lot which was unfortunate.

• Useful
In this country she would be legally detained and force-fed.

Does anyone know the laws around this in the US? I know kids can be hospitalized if someone deemsm them a legitimate threat to self or others, and I could call 911 on an adult who had a plan and means. But someone who's dying a slow, self-induced death?

Last edited:
Wow. . . how horrible.

I have no idea how to even estimate her weight/bmi because I don't know of anyone in which her weight could be compared.

I feel like the change.org petition went in the wrong direction; no, she's not responsible for influnencing others. Her channel is mostly a macabre freak show, everyone is just watching her die (myself included). I think youtube users are well-within their rights to ask Youtube to ban the channel--as channels of a parallel nature, like someone using meth or cutting and vlogging it, could be banned. Youtube is private company and can set their own terms but I'd personally prefer a less censored service. If the petition was to persuade her and her family to help her, that'd be very kind. But, of course, as always, it's blaming generalizing thing. How tf is she responsible for every little girl on youtube? And why is it always "young girls" who we, as a society, feel we need to shield from reality?

Hey, little girls!
People have anorexia. People have AIDS. Santa is not real.

• Agree
Reactions: 10 users
Correct me if I'm wrong, but in the US don't you have to pay out-of-pocket for medical treatment if you don't have insurance? Maybe her parents simply can't afford any treatment?

• Agree
Wow. . . how horrible.

I have no idea how to even estimate her weight/bmi because I don't know of anyone in which her weight could be compared.

I feel like the change.org petition went in the wrong direction; no, she's not responsible for influnencing others. Her channel is mostly a macabre freak show, everyone is just watching her die (myself included). I think youtube users are well-within their rights to ask Youtube to ban the channel--as channels of a parallel nature, like someone using meth or cutting and vlogging it, could be banned. Youtube is private company and can set their own terms but I'd personally prefer a less censored service. If the petition was to persuade her and her family to help her, that'd be very kind. But, of course, as always, it's blaming generalizing thing. How tf is she responsible for every little girl on youtube? And why is it always "young girls" who we, as a society, feel we need to shield from reality?

Hey, little girls!
People have anorexia. People have AIDS. Santa is not real.

It does seem strange to me that most people would say that she clearly doesn't look all that good being that skinny, but that 'young girls' are somehow exempt from making a rational judgement about this.

They seem to forget that just like any other sector of society, young girls are a balanced mixture of different types of people, and that anorexia doesn't have a Pied Piper level of control over all young women, but is instead a complex disorder with a whole range of causes, most of which are nothing like as simple as seeing an anorexic and trying to copy them.

I often think media generalisations about young people are very negative; most of the younger people I know are polite, interesting people with great ambitions and a decent set of morals. There's a few assholes, but not more than in any cross section of adults I can think of. It's almost as though kids grow up to be older versions of themselves or something.

• Agree
  • Funny
Reactions: 6 users
Correct me if I'm wrong, but in the US don't you have to pay out-of-pocket for medical treatment if you don't have insurance? Maybe her parents simply can't afford any treatment?
There's always Medicaid (govt insurance for low-income populations). And I don't know how many ED clinics are taking Obamacare yet, but that's going to be more of an option in the future.
Also, I get the sense her family's fairly middle-class. She films videos in a nice yard, she's got her own bedroom in her house, I've seen videos filmed in spacious rooms...plus, she's from Greenwich, CT, which tends to be a pretty high-income area. So on one hand, that might mean she might not qualify for Medicaid, but I suspect her family can afford insurance.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users