MFP forums

I love all the posts on MFP about how as soon as you enter "starvation mode" you'll start gaining fat that you CAN NEVER LOSE! Ugh. These people..

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

I love all the posts on MFP about how as soon as you enter "starvation mode" you'll start gaining fat that you CAN NEVER LOSE! Ugh. These people..

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

I find the culture of straight dieting terribly sinister. By encouraging people's terror of hunger and perpetuating this set of standard myths, the magazines, diet and snack industry - and sites like MFP - thrive amid the misery of millions. I suppose I shouldn't feel any pity, really, as the useful information is all out there too.

The person who wrote the message that @Phoenix screen-captured... How can one be so utterly clueless about food and eating habits?

Expecting to lose weight on a diet of cheese and grits, Doritos and coke, bologna cheese sandwiches with mayo... And believing that could be around 1200? Just the food listed as "lunch" sounds like could be reaching a thousand already.

Also, I feel appalled at most people's approach of dieting as some sort of military punishment and deprivation, instead of seeing it as an opportunity to make a beneficial change of habits and feel happier and satisfied knowing that you are improving both your looks and your well-being with every healthy choice you make.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't even know how they came up with 1200 figure--like are they just making stuff up? It's just not grounded in reality at all.

I like to browse the MFP forums every once in a while for a laugh. Found this gem. Pretty interesting compared with the goals you see on SG.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/397706-goal-weight-for-5-10-female

If I ever think that 168lbs is "that low" someone please just kill me. Seriously. If I think I look emancipated at 134 slap me. H o w is 100lbs at 5 foot then 5 for every inch thereafter ideal weight? 125 for my height looks so basic and only puts me in like a size 4.

If I ever think that 168lbs is "that low" someone please just kill me. Seriously. If I think I look emancipated at 134 slap me. H o w is 100lbs at 5 foot then 5 for every inch thereafter ideal weight? 125 for my height looks so basic and only puts me in like a size 4.

ahahha I agree! I'm supposedly "ideal" at 130 pounds when that would put me at a much higher bmi (over 1.5 points) where I have maintained a terrible diet/no exercise. I don't get the logic of these people--how can you be 'healthy' at a weight where you can eat like 3500 kcal?

ahahha I agree! I'm supposedly "ideal" at 130 pounds when that would put me at a much higher bmi (over 1.5 points) where I have maintained a terrible diet/no exercise. I don't get the logic of these people--how can you be 'healthy' at a weight where you can eat like 3500 kcal?

How is eating 3500 calories in general healthy? and where does the 1200 number come from I never understood. Even my doctor, upon realising my peckish appetite confirmed that 800 average a day would be healthy for me and I could easily live on that.

If I ever need a self esteem boost, or to feel better about my body, I can count on MFP forums to do that for me.

All I need to do is read the "goal weight" type of threads that run rampant there. Seeing 5"9" women with a goal weight of 180 lbs is very common place.

Disgusting yes, but still common place.

Mind you, these types are not always those with 100 lbs to lose - many times, they're only 20 lbs away. Anything less, and OMG they think they will look emaciated.

Ugh, absolutely. For a person of my body type, being in the "normal" BMI range is as unhealthy as being in the overweight category for a mesomorph or endomorph. I truly wish the stupid BMI had never been invented! It is just no end of trouble.

Quasi-on-topic: my roommate, who is a bit overweight, recently joined MFP and has been bugging me to join too. She bitchfaced at me when I told her she should log the olive oil that she cooks with/drizzles over things. She literally cooks EVERYTHING in at least 4 tablespoons of the stuff and then drizzles more ontop afterwards. I know it's healthy/not all of it is "absorbed" but it's still 120 cal a tablespoon. It's like, what's the point of logging if you're doing it selectively? Anyway, I'm sure she's right at home at the forums, wondering why she's not losing any weight.

Quasi-on-topic: my roommate, who is a bit overweight, recently joined MFP and has been bugging me to join too. She bitchfaced at me when I told her she should log the olive oil that she cooks with/drizzles over things. She literally cooks EVERYTHING in at least 4 tablespoons of the stuff and then drizzles more ontop afterwards. I know it's healthy/not all of it is "absorbed" but it's still 120 cal a tablespoon. It's like, what's the point of logging if you're doing it selectively? Anyway, I'm sure she's right at home at the forums, wondering why she's not losing any weight.

Haha isn't her food swimming in olive oil then? A 1/4 cup is uh... significant and noticeable. Gross! :p

Side note: I got my bf to join recently and he's probably more dedicated than me. Oh men... tbh I'm jealous of his self control. He calls me his "little nutritionist" though so that's kinda cute.

I know I'm spoiled by you ladies on this forum, but seeing all these people that are shorter than me, or my height, saying that their goal weight is something like 140, 150, it's frankly horrifying. If I ever got up to that weight, I'd look like a blimp, even if it were mostly muscle mass. I don't look 'emaciated,' even though I'm sure they'd say that I'm dying at my weight, and tell me to eat an entire jar of peanut butter a day.
A person with a small frame weighing 150 would have a BMI of 24. Their goals are to go from being a planet to being a moon.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/836273-is-a-thigh-gap-possible

I didn't think the thigh gap was judged off of your feet being together... I always thought it was judged on standing up straight normally with your feet shoulder width apart?
:headbang:

I know I'm spoiled by you ladies on this forum, but seeing all these people that are shorter than me, or my height, saying that their goal weight is something like 140, 150, it's frankly horrifying. If I ever got up to that weight, I'd look like a blimp, even if it were mostly muscle mass. I don't look 'emaciated,' even though I'm sure they'd say that I'm dying at my weight, and tell me to eat an entire jar of peanut butter a day.
A person with a small frame weighing 150 would have a BMI of 24. Their goals are to go from being a planet to being a moon.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/836273-is-a-thigh-gap-possible

I didn't think the thigh gap was judged off of your feet being together... I always thought it was judged on standing up straight normally with your feet shoulder width apart?
:headbang:

The blind....leading the blind...

Haha isn't her food swimming in olive oil then? A 1/4 cup is uh... significant and noticeable. Gross! :p

Side note: I got my bf to join recently and he's probably more dedicated than me. Oh men... tbh I'm jealous of his self control. He calls me his "little nutritionist" though so that's kinda cute.

I wish I was exaggerating, but everything she eats is swimming in the stuff. It's crazy how dedicated men can be. One of my guy friends is on MFP and meticulously logs everything--but it's all junk :p Does your BF eat healthy or just have great portion control skills?

I wish I was exaggerating, but everything she eats is swimming in the stuff. It's crazy how dedicated men can be. One of my guy friends is on MFP and meticulously logs everything--but it's all junk :p Does your BF eat healthy or just have great portion control skills?

He's in his "cutting" phase now, so he's eating to hit his macros. Otherwise he has excellent self control, whereas I eat a bite of ice cream and go batshit crazy. :run:

I use MFP for easy calorie tracking on my phone, but MFP Forums are only good as a sick joke. A bunch of 5'4 women with GWs of 140 who think if they go any lower, they'll look "anorexic" or "their significant others will beg them to eat" :rolleyes:

Oh, and all the 200 pound girls who don't understand why they're not losing weight after only eating 600 calories a day for months? Or even better, their """bodies enter starvation mode and they begin gaining weight"""? OMG :supermad: