MFP forums

Nothing like getting a bunch of MFPers started on "Starvation Mode"... :rolleyes:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1316307-starvation-mode

A voice of reason!

MFP User said:
Here's the thing about starvation mode- It doesn't exist, at least as long as you have any body fat to speak of. Starvation mode is what happens when your body has nothing, not even fat to run off of, not just when you're not feeding it.

With your goal weight, you will not EVER have to worry about starvation mode. You could eat 2 calories a day and still be just fine until you got severely underweight.

1,000 is more than reasonable AS LONG AS you're getting enough nutrients, you're only warned against eating under 1200 because it's difficult to get adequate nutrition at that level.

Also, if your goal is 1,000 or fewer (or anywhere below maintenance, really) calories it'd be in bad judgement not to eat back your exercised calories.

A voice of reason!

I was SHOCKED when I read that - someone's making sense!! And then everyone else piled on with their pseudoscience and 1000kcal a day is NEVER OK!!! and I got exhausted. Perhaps I should make my MFP diary public then leave her a message of support - show them that yes, shockingly, you can eat <700kcal every day and lose weight.

Starvation mode is such bull. And 1200 kcal minimum a day is a totally arbitrary number that someone somewhere pulled out of their ass.

I was SHOCKED when I read that - someone's making sense!! And then everyone else piled on with their pseudoscience and 1000kcal a day is NEVER OK!!! and I got exhausted. Perhaps I should make my MFP diary public then leave her a message of support - show them that yes, shockingly, you can eat <700kcal every day and lose weight.

Starvation mode is such bull. And 1200 kcal minimum a day is a totally arbitrary number that someone somewhere pulled out of their ass.

Yes, thank you. It's such utter bullshit what these people believe.

ahh! i remmeber when i used to believe the '1200cal' a day thing. don't kill me...i was young and naive. :oops:
luckily, i found these forums, and learnt to actually think for myself ;)