Thinspiration Movies & Shows

Discussion in 'Movies' started by biancarachelle, Feb 16, 2012.

1. FrançoiseEllyn

FrançoiseEllyn Grand Dame

• Love Love x 3
  2. Seared Siren

Seared Siren Rookie

Not a bad compliment ;)

3. nicole120

nicole120 Worker Bee

These posts got me thinking about the TV shows and movies that I used as thinspiration growing up, before I really understood what thinspiration was. My ideal body type differs a bit since middle school, but I still like reminiscing on the shows and movies that once inspired me. Gossip Girl is definitely one of those shows, same with Ferris Bueller's Day Off.

Friends was one of those original thinspo shows for me. It was really popular when I was growing up, my sister was always watching it. I aspired to have Monica's body with Rachel's job (my tastes have changed a bit now). Courtney Cox at her thinnest was my ultimate girl crush growing up.

IMG_0985.JPG

Same with The OC. Micha Barton in her prime was completely unreal to me back in middle school. I've just started rewatching it recently for fun. Although it is quite depressing watching it now knowing the downward spiral Micha goes down after she gets killed off.

IMG_0989.JPG

An honorable mention goes to Rose Byrne in Damages. I started watching early in college and though she might not be super thin, her graceful screen presence makes up for it. I didn't find the show very interesting after the first episode but I kept watching because I liked Rose.

IMG_0984.JPG

The last, more obvious, early thinspiration came from Breakfast at Tiffany's (and anything Audrey has ever been in) :luvluv:

IMG_0988.JPG

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  4. thethinwristed

thethinwristed Worker Bee

@Ethereal
    I agree about the 'grace' thing, and the way someone carries themselves.

I loved Baby and the dancer in Dirty Dancing. Also weirdly Reese Witherspoon in Wild. She just looked really fragile at times.

@nicole120 I adored Mischa in the OC, she was my inspiration, and loved Rose in Damages too!

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. nicole120

nicole120 Worker Bee

I agree with Reece in Wild, too. Marissa in The OC was portrayed as fragile, so maybe the inspiration comes from the fragility of the character. Thin characters seem more fragile than the heavier characters.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. SecretMelody17

SecretMelody17 SuperStar

Yes! I know just what you mean with Gossip Girl being "thinspiring" even tho the characters aren't that skinny. I've never watched that show, but I had a similar feeling last night when I re-visited the 90s classic Clueless. Cher (played by Alicia Silverstone) is so poised and elegant all the time, with her smooth, silky hair and neatly put-together outfits. It's elegant, and anything that inspired you to be elegant inadvertently also inspired you to be a little bit more skinny, because, as Coco Chanel apparently used to say, "elegance is refusal". You just can't be elegant while stuffing your face!

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. SecretMelody17

SecretMelody17 SuperStar

I recently saw an 80s film called Variety, which was amazing thinspo, and not a bad film either.
    It's directed by Bette Gordon and written by Kathy Acker (badass punk feminist writer/icon of the era).
    The lead actress is skinny by my standards, though some of you on here might describe her more as thin.
    She's got a super sexy high cheekbones and thick hair thing going on and looks amazing in everything she wears in the film.
    Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find any decent pictures from the film online. I guess it's too obscure...

[​IMG]

8. gracilis

gracilis Rising Star

I am not sure if it counts as thinspiration to most, but I've been watching old seasons of the reality TV show "Survivor" to de-stress from grad school. It's not motivating in that the girls look fantastic from being so thin as the season progresses, as they often look...like you'd expect from someone who is stressed, exposed to the elements, and has no way of bathing, grooming etc. Haggard.

But the fact they are all living off maybe 150 to 300 cals most days of just rice and like 0.1 oz of fish while competing intensely for 39 days puts my dietary restrictions into perspective (although the availability of food to forage varies by season, and earlier seasons were more survivor driven with less food generally).

I might be a little thinspired by Courtney Yates, as she came into the game skinny and had this perfect deadpan sarcasm and cute bitchiness in S15.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Jizztastic Jizztastic x 1
  9. Plume

Plume Rising Star

Faye Wong's arms in the movie Chungking Express :luvluv:

[​IMG] [​IMG]