Taylor Swift

This video is from Feb 2017 -- she actually looks fairly decent/skinny in it, but I think that's because she's covered up and it only shows her upper half... I do agree with @helenav that she's probably going through something right now if she's laying so low the most we've seen of her in 6 months is random short clips like this.

I hate that I love her cover of this as much as I do.

I really want to dislike everything about her but goddamn is some of her music catchy.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
always disliked her sooooo much. i hope most people realize the majority of her 'relationships' are basically pr stunts. i thought people knew this generally but i guess not (it's not a coincidence that headlines about her new boyfriends always seem to come around the same time her albums are due out)..or all those headlines "omg harry styles new song is about taylor swift!!" like do these people realize that "artists" like harry or taylor aren't even the ones writing their own music?? lmao is it bad that it makes me happy she's looking so awful lately...:supershame:

the fact she's won grammys kind of makes me nauseous. she's got a lovely voice but her actual music is so generic in my opinion, not to mention she barely even writes any of it (still searching to fine one song written solely by her, she always seems to have some 'help' aka another writer(s) who most likely create the actual song and have her tweak it). ok, rant over, just upsets me because she is everything that's wrong with the music industry today: instead of being about the actual music/talent it's about branding a person like a commodity $$.

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users
always disliked her sooooo much. i hope most people realize the majority of her 'relationships' are basically pr stunts. i thought people knew this generally but i guess not (it's not a coincidence that headlines about her new boyfriends always seem to come around the same time her albums are due out)..or all those headlines "omg harry styles new song is about taylor swift!!" like do these people realize that "artists" like harry or taylor aren't even the ones writing their own music?? lmao is it bad that it makes me happy she's looking so awful lately...:supershame:

the fact she's won grammys kind of makes me nauseous. she's got a lovely voice but her actual music is so generic in my opinion, not to mention she barely even writes any of it (still searching to fine one song written solely by her, she always seems to have some 'help' aka another writer(s) who most likely create the actual song and have her tweak it). ok, rant over, just upsets me because she is everything that's wrong with the music industry today: instead of being about the actual music/talent it's about branding a person like a commodity $$.

Hm, I'd have to disagree with the idea that she is "everything wrong with the music industry." Everyone knows she (or any other pop star on the Billboard Top 40) doesn't write her own music. Everyone knows her voice is nothing special.

Taylor's whole personality is a PR stunt, it's true, but I think most people recognize that -- even the most oblivious fans had to see it when the Kanye-Kim drama revealed her manipulation. Her true star power comes from the fact that she's successfully built a narrative of vulnerable girl-next-door-turned-vindictive-sex-idol throughout her music and persona, and it intrigues people. Everyone knows it's an act; they follow along anyway because there's some part of them that identifies and secretly loves it. We give Taylor attention for the same reasons we give gossipy teen tv dramas attention -- escapism and enjoyment of the spectacle. Her value to the world isn't as a musician. It's as a performer.

These are two great pieces that look at exactly that:
https://www.theparisreview.org/blog/2015/06/22/revenge-of-the-nerds/
https://www.buzzfeed.com/elliewoodward/how-taylor-swift-played-the-victim-and-made-her-entire-caree

Last edited:
I actually love the Paris Review piece so much:

"That’s how Taylor Swift became the hero to of all of us losers, of anyone humiliated in middle school, the publicly dumped in high school, or anyone who ever realized during the car ride home the perfect comeback that would now go unsaid. We don’t all have the wherewithal to process what has happened to us and synthesize it into a pop song that will be broadcast to a bajillion fans. And we certainly, for the most part, lack the platform.

Taylor exists as our id. She alone posses the chutzpah to play innocent as she boldly winks at what she’s done in a forum more public than even the most viral article. But it’s also through her that we can continue to fantasize about a revenge most perfect, an aggression so passive that no one sees it coming, that no one can confirm it once they’ve been hit. That day might be around the corner, and it’s Taylor who allows us to dream of it."

Reactions: 2 users
I actually love the Paris Review piece so much:

"That’s how Taylor Swift became the hero to of all of us losers, of anyone humiliated in middle school, the publicly dumped in high school, or anyone who ever realized during the car ride home the perfect comeback that would now go unsaid. We don’t all have the wherewithal to process what has happened to us and synthesize it into a pop song that will be broadcast to a bajillion fans. And we certainly, for the most part, lack the platform.

Taylor exists as our id. She alone posses the chutzpah to play innocent as she boldly winks at what she’s done in a forum more public than even the most viral article. But it’s also through her that we can continue to fantasize about a revenge most perfect, an aggression so passive that no one sees it coming, that no one can confirm it once they’ve been hit. That day might be around the corner, and it’s Taylor who allows us to dream of it."

Eh Idk I think that's giving her way too much credit. She wants to act like this new empowered woman but whenever anyone calls her out she immediately falls back on playing the wide eyed victim. I was never a huge fan but for some reason was under the belief that she wrote all of her songs so I had the tiniest bit of respect for her in that regard.

• Dislike
Eh Idk I think that's giving her way too much credit. She wants to act like this new empowered woman but whenever anyone calls her out she immediately falls back on playing the wide eyed victim. I was never a huge fan but for some reason was under the belief that she wrote all of her songs so I had the tiniest bit of respect for her in that regard.

It's actually not giving her credit! That's the point the piece makes. We, the audience, are the ones who "make" Taylor's image and stunning success because we shape her into what we ourselves secretly want to be. All that is both due to, and in spite of, her very obvious see-through victim persona. It's PR mastery, really.

Oh my god. Now we know why she's been hiding all of 2017. That moppy hair and thick sweater aren't hiding the bloat like she hoped.
IMG_2220.JPG

• Gross
  • Sad
Reactions: 3 users
Oh my god. Now we know why she's been hiding all of 2017. That moppy hair and thick sweater aren't hiding the bloat like she hoped.
View attachment 16734
Her eyes look so vacant. Her face is so different with the weight; the fullness looks unnatural on her. I'm certain she's going through something (and she has a similar flat affect as seen in depression).

Her eyes look so vacant. Her face is so different with the weight; the fullness looks unnatural on her. I'm certain she's going through something (and she has a similar flat affect as seen in depression).
Not sure how you can diagnose via a pic but anyway....

Why even post the horrible selfie. TS has shown she can be invisible to the paps when she wants to be, so no sympathy for this one (aka the only other thing she ever wants aside from $$ :rolleyes:). If she's going through something then disappear, or face public scrunity.

• Agree

Why even post the horrible selfie. TS has shown she can be invisible to the paps when she wants to be, so no sympathy for this one (aka the only other thing she ever wants aside from $$ :rolleyes:). If she's going through something then disappear, or face public scrunity.
I meant she looks a lot like how individuals with depression appeared at the clinic during my university fieldwork weeks in a psychiatric setting. That vacancy is very off, it's like she's trying to emote but not really able. It's a single photo, of course I have no idea what is going on for real but this thread is full of loose speculation. Maybe she's just tired, maybe it's a shit photo, maybe a million things.

I know nothing of Taylor Swift's personal life. I would never dx via internet, nor do I have the authority to diagnose anyone currently. Just was a casual comment. I'll be clearer next time. Apologies.

I think the only thing she's going through is too many packets of Karlie's Kookies. She's been at this weight for a little while so is probably used to it and figured she could get away with a head and shoulders shot if she styled her hair very carefully. Otherwise, I think she's probably 'in hiding' because she gained weight.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users
It was actually a video (which doesn't make it better, but at least explains the awkwardness of this single screenshot) -- http://www.tmz.com/2017/06/27/taylor-swift-russell-westbrook-nba-mvp/

RIP her cheekbones. And her fame, really.

Thank you for posting the video! Upon watching it I wish I could redact everything on her *going through things* . :supershame:I thought she has posted that really unattractive, uncurated image to social media herself, which would be odd in itself for a celebrity to do.:oops:

The video is just her being stiff and, well, porky. Nothing really hinting at a breakdown.

• Agree
  • Agree
Gosh I've been waiting for her to come out of hiding for months, having cocooned and blossomed into her old marketably thin self...yikes. That is not the case.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Wow I don't remember her being this big, like ever. She's always been considered skinny even when she was on the average side of skinny, now she's seriously looking chubby. She used to work out quite a lot, did she give up completely?

Holy crap!!! I didn't even recognize her!! Makes me feel better about my recent weight gain haha because it's nothing compared to that.....