Ask a model anything

Were you originally very thin before you were signed/met with an agency, or did they tell you to lose weight?

Something that has been bugging me lately: on Tumblr fashion blogs there are people claiming that most models, especially the tall ones, have waists that are 27" (has been said about Frida and Karlie). I always thought that was pretty big... Is that true or are their waists smaller and those people are guessing wrong? :confused:

27" waist??

tumblr_md181mERww1rhfow7o1_250.gif

I've measured more waists than I could even count. Waist measurement is really important. Lowest I've seen (for a fashion agency signed model) is 19". Average is maybe like 23.5"... 24 is fine, anything under that is golden, once you go above 24 then it's trouble for sample sizes. For haute couture they always want the smaller girls (22-23). Commercial fashion, up to 25 isn't much of a problem, but much over that, it's just not happening. Yes, I've seen girls with 26 or 27 but they're definitely getting "the talk" every time they come in and they are not being sent out. It just looks bad for the agency. I hear lots of people say how agencies lie on stats but you really can't get away with much. If you send a well-paying client a girl with a waist 2" bigger than the card says, they won't be a client for long. It's much smarter to just send a girl who's kept her paws out of the Haagen-Dazs. Let's face it, that girl will probably work harder, too.

Do you get along with them all? Or are there some you don't like and just ignore these problems on here?
The ones I know - they're all lovely.

If you had the option to go back and decide whether or not you wanted to start doing it, would you still chose yes knowing all you know about the industry?
People can stop anytime they want if they don't like the industry. I would still choose yes.

27" waist??

I've measured more waists than I could even count. Waist measurement is really important. Lowest I've seen (for a fashion agency signed model) is 19". Average is maybe like 23.5"... 24 is fine, anything under that is golden, once you go above 24 then it's trouble for sample sizes. For haute couture they always want the smaller girls (22-23). Commercial fashion, up to 25 isn't much of a problem, but much over that, it's just not happening. Yes, I've seen girls with 26 or 27 but they're definitely getting "the talk" every time they come in and they are not being sent out. It just looks bad for the agency. I hear lots of people say how agencies lie on stats but you really can't get away with much. If you send a well-paying client a girl with a waist 2" bigger than the card says, they won't be a client for long. It's much smarter to just send a girl who's kept her paws out of the Haagen-Dazs. Let's face it, that girl will probably work harder, too.

Thank you so much for giving a really detailed answer...I've been "lurking" on this thread, hoping to get the real scoop.

27" waist??

Great reply! :bow: Thank you.
So I guess it is not true that models aim for a 20'' waist for Haute Couture... 't was already hard imagining that.

Are there many models who are naturally skinny, or does the majority restrict?

I'd say there is a mix. One thing I've noticed after months of hanging out with models is that, even though they might say they're naturally skinny and they can eat so much of whatever they want without getting bigger.. they never do eat. I'm guessing that they don't realize it and just eat whenever they're feeling hungry. Majority have to be reminded to even eat!I'd say alot of the girls only eat around 700 calories max a day - but they seem fine - not deprived one bit.

Then there are the girls who try to maintain a skinny frame.

Dumb question: even if the tiniest part of your waist is around 20", if you are 5'9" wouldn't your ribs stick out more and still make it hard to fit into such small clothing?

I'd say there is a mix. One thing I've noticed after months of hanging out with models is that, even though they might say they're naturally skinny and they can eat so much of whatever they want without getting bigger.. they never do eat. I'm guessing that they don't realize it and just eat whenever they're feeling hungry. Majority have to be reminded to even eat!I'd say alot of the girls only eat around 700 calories max a day - but they seem fine - not deprived one bit.

I've always wondered this, thank you for your reply!

27" waist??

Thank you so much for your answer! :kiss::bow:
That goes to all the Tumblr blogs claiming models are fatter than they are :rolleyes:

That makes perfect sense, thank you for that interesting insight :)

If I could ask a model anything...

How do you feel if you get rejected after a casting? Or if you go to a casting with a fellow model/good friend and she gets booked and you don't?

Thank you so much for your answer! :kiss::bow:
That goes to all the Tumblr blogs claiming models are fatter than they are :rolleyes:

Hahah whatever helps them sleep at night, right :rolleyes:

Also: This is the lamest question ever but I'm a damn wreck when it comes to walking in heels higher than around 3-4 inches. Any quick tips from the girls who know best?

I hope someone will answer this, I know it's a old thread though :)

1. You say that you starve, or eat very little to maintain your weight, how do you make sure to get your vitamins if you're fasting/restricting so much? Because I assume you need your vitamins to feel like you got your head in the game at such a low weight, and still look breathtaking.

2. Someone said that they're trying to stay away from sugar to keep the skin looking flawless, this means cookis and stuff ofc, but does it include fruit too?

3. After reading this thread, I've come to undersatnd that you eat next to nothing or stay under 1000 calories a day. And some of you're doing cardio, how many calories do you aim to burn during the day? How does the + vs - of calories normaly look like?

I'll be thankful for answers! :grin:

Theres no way that's true. Barbara Palvin probably has a 27-28" waist but there is no way a normal sized model is that big.

27" is just so....large. :nervous:

Absolutely. I'm 5'9.5 (so close to 5'10"!!) and my waist is 26.5 as of this week, and it is definitely not model material. I would look like a whale next to most models.

I have a question for the industry girls. Do the agencies tend to push you away from too much cardio at the gym? I love working out, and I do 2-3 days of interval training with my own body weight and 2-3 days of yoga. My body is definitely toned, and although I have more weight to lose I wonder if it's holding me back from being thinner and keeping me from achieving my GW and GM. Appreciate the input!!

I was doing my answers under anon but idk it doesn't really matter. I know my answers aren't exciting as it would be from @Zerocal , @StarvingSlut , @RedAir or @Runweigh :p

Dumb question: even if the tiniest part of your waist is around 20", if you are 5'9" wouldn't your ribs stick out more and still make it hard to fit into such small clothing?
nope!!
If I could ask a model anything...
How do you feel if you get rejected after a casting? Or if you go to a casting with a fellow model/good friend and she gets booked and you don't?
Of course it sucks, but everything is meant to happen for a reason imo. If I went to a casting with a friend and she booked the job, I would first look at if she has the same 'look' as me. If not, there is nothing I could of done. If she does have a similar look as I do, then I would try to figure out what I could do to improve. You will be perfect to one person, and to the next, horrible. You can't please everyone, and that is something I have come to terms with a very long time ago, before I started modeling :angel::flower:
This is the lamest question ever but I'm a damn wreck when it comes to walking in heels higher than around 3-4 inches. Any quick tips from the girls who know best?
Practice makes perfect. I literally practiced for hours in my hallway, with the highest heels I could get my hands on and a book ontop of my head for balance. I'd say, don't wear heels outside if you don't feel comfortable yet, because you don't want to make a fool of yourself.. not even by falling, but looking like a gimp walking around haha. Stand up straight, have 200% confidence, relax your fingers (when you walk, I like to have my fingers slightly curled like the girls in my signature), dont sway your arms too much (just from the elbows down) and go!
1. You say that you starve, or eat very little to maintain your weight, how do you make sure to get your vitamins if you're fasting/restricting so much? Because I assume you need your vitamins to feel like you got your head in the game at such a low weight, and still look breathtaking.
Juices (organic; fresh; green or fruity) are a great way to get fast nutrition. Your body absorbs the nutrients within 20minutes. I also like to take vitamins - and everything I eat, I like to make sure its nutrient dense and not empty calories. Fats and protein is really important. Salmon is great for that as well as avocado. Keeps your skin looking flawless and keeps you full too :)
2. Someone said that they're trying to stay away from sugar to keep the skin looking flawless, this means cookis and stuff ofc, but does it include fruit too?
I think you are referring to @ExtraShot ? I would assume fruit is ok because it is loaded with antioxidants that are amazing for your skin!!
I am not in the same league as the other models in the VIPs, but makeup artists always compliment me on my skin- and i do very little with it! i moisturise using body shops vitamin e cream, and ill occasionally put vitamin e oil on under my eyes too. i rarely put makeup on my skin- perhaps if im going out for a meal and even then ill only put a really light foundation around my eyes. i always have wipes with me to get the makeup off after shooting cos they put SO MUCH on. other than that- drink lots of water and dont eat any sugar. simples :kiss:

After reading this thread, I've come to undersatnd that you eat next to nothing or stay under 1000 calories a day. And some of you're doing cardio, how many calories do you aim to burn during the day? How does the + vs - of calories normaly look like?
I like to stay well under 1000calories a day, especially now because I try to eat only 1 meal a day (dinner). Because I do alot of fitness classes and the cardio machines (especially ellipticals) are not accurate, I have no idea how many calories I burn! I'd like to think I burn atleast 500calories at the gym.
I have a question for the industry girls. Do the agencies tend to push you away from too much cardio at the gym? I love working out, and I do 2-3 days of interval training with my own body weight and 2-3 days of yoga. My body is definitely toned, and although I have more weight to lose I wonder if it's holding me back from being thinner and keeping me from achieving my GW and GM. Appreciate the input!!
I think that you are asking if that if you do too much cardio, then you will gain weight? My bookers love their girls doing tons of cardio because there is no chance in bulking up and you will just tone down. It's a great way to up your metabolism and shred calories.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
It seems like models would need to learn how their body looks from the outside. Does someone teach you this? Do you just practice in front of the mirror? Is that a talent most models start out with or just something you have to acquire?

It seems like models would need to learn how their body looks from the outside. Does someone teach you this? Do you just practice in front of the mirror? Is that a talent most models start out with or just something you have to acquire?

Do you mean by posing at photoshoots?