alive-still-need2live

I am a bit afraid of the time of recovery when all the weight starts to come. I mean it's healthy weight and she is too thin but no matter how much you weigh the weight that comes is demotivating. I hope that won't stop her!

Can totally agree on that, but from what I read on her blog I don't think it will stop her. She always posts when she has gained weight, and she seems genuinely excited about it. Time will tell. I love her though, her attitude is so full of life and her food pictures make me drool :drool:

She is so adorable and seems really sweet.

The scary thing is, the further you scroll down the page of photo's the thinner she gets.

Well that makes sense! She's recovering and trying to gain weight so if in each progressive picture she looks a bit fuller, then that's a good thing. :)

Can totally agree on that, but from what I read on her blog I don't think it will stop her. She always posts when she has gained weight, and she seems genuinely excited about it. Time will tell. I love her though, her attitude is so full of life and her food pictures make me drool :drool:

Yeah, but it's still an unhealthy weight and "only" a few kilograms. But I hope she stays strong! She totally deserves recovery, everyone deserves recovery. I hope one day she won't struggle with any disorders!

What makes me wonder - why does she gain so little although she eats a bigger amount of food? Is it because of all the previous starving?

What makes me wonder - why does she gain so little although she eats a bigger amount of food? Is it because of all the previous starving?

Okay I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this. If I ate what she eats in a day on a regular basis I would definitely be gaining weight :confused:

Yeah, but it's still an unhealthy weight and "only" a few kilograms. But I hope she stays strong! She totally deserves recovery, everyone deserves recovery. I hope one day she won't struggle with any disorders!

@Mary

Well only recently has she really started actually gaining weight. A few months ago she would only upload food photos every few days because she was only eating every few days, and the other days she would restrict, over-exercise, or binge and purge. :eek: Plus she would also have small relapses every now and then and end up losing weight again.

But now her blog is so much different. And you can tell she's making real progress this time. I think she eats between 2,000 and 3,000 calories each day and has been doing this for a bit over three weeks. She takes the 'slow-and-steady' approach and has been gaining about 1 kg each week. I really believe her though because she looks healthier and has food photos pretty much every day.

I like her approach to recovery though. She chooses to take a steady and nutritional approach as opposed to gorging herself with everything and anything, and I do have hope that it is finally her time to beat her disorder. :) Her mentality these days is completely different (and better) as well.

And yes I do stalk Nancy on a daily basis, if you couldn't tell... :whistling:

Last edited by a moderator:
@Mary

Well only recently has she really started actually gaining weight. A few months ago she would only upload food photos every few days because she was only eating every few days, and the other days she would restrict, over-exercise, or binge and purge. :eek: Plus she would also have small relapses every now and then and end up losing weight again.

But now her blog is so much different. And you can tell she's making real progress this time. I think she eats between 2,000 and 3,000 calories each day and has been doing this for a bit over three weeks. She takes the 'slow-and-steady' approach and has been gaining about 1 kg each week. I really believe her though because she looks healthier and has food photos pretty much every day.

I like her approach to recovery though. She chooses to take a steady and nutritional approach as opposed to gorging herself with everything and anything, and I do have hope that it is finally her time to beat her disorder. :) Her mentality these days is completely different (and better) as well.

And yes I do stalk Nancy on a daily basis, if you couldn't tell... :whistling:

Oh, so now she REALLY does eat? I mean everyday and enough without exercising/purging/etc.
I hope so :(

She posted once that she has a very fast metabolism, and that she didn't become anorexic because she was ever fat/chubby but for other reasons. Which I can imagine makes it easier to come to terms with weight gain during recovery. For many anorexics that means getting fat again, but in her case I think she will look great.

@Lee
Thanks for clearing this up, I was under the impression she's been eating 2-3k cal/day for a while.. makes sense though now.
I wish her all the best :luv:

:)

She posted once that she has a very fast metabolism, and that she didn't become anorexic because she was ever fat/chubby but for other reasons. Which I can imagine makes it easier to come to terms with weight gain during recovery. For many anorexics that means getting fat again, but in her case I think she will look great.

True, and correct me if I'm wrong but I remember reading she had a hard childhood growing up, and the relationship with her dad wasn't ideal either.

True, and correct me if I'm wrong but I remember reading she had a hard childhood growing up, and the relationship with her dad wasn't ideal either.

Yes, I think it's in her 'story' page. And that her stepmom had an eating disorder, which got me thinking, when I have kids, they should never ever be aware of my ed/ I should try to get rid of it by then, it's so damaging to them :(.

Yes, if you're very long starved the initial energy might be used up repairing the body and its restoring its functions, not necessarily storing fat. Plus, to gail 1lb you need 3500 excess calories, so if a starved person eats, first the body will take what it needs for the day, then if there's any left it will start the repair work, and only if there's still excess after that would it contribute to weight gain - it could take several weeks to accumulate 3500.

She might also have some damage to her digestion (no idea if that's the case for Nancy but it was for some other people I've met), which could reduce the absorbtion of nutrition.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, I think it's in her 'story' page. And that her stepmom had an eating disorder, which got me thinking, when I have kids, they should never ever be aware of my ed/ I should try to get rid of it by then, it's so damaging to them :(.

Yes, parents do play a large role on their children’s development regarding food. I know my mom has always struggled to have a good/balanced relationship with food. She never had an ED but was always talking about her weight since I was young. And it has definitely shaped me from a very young age on how I view food as well. And even the constant thought of weight and what I put in my mouth started when I was very young. I’m actually surprised I didn’t develop an ED.

Yes, if you're very long starved the initial energy might be used up repairing the body and its restoring its functions, not necessarily storing fat. Plus, to gail 1lb you need 3500 excess calories, so if a starved person eats, first the body will take what it needs for the day, then if there's any left it will start the repair work, and only if there's still excess after that would it contribute to weight gain - it could take several weeks to accumulate 3500.

She might also have some damage to her digestion (no idea if that's the case for Nancy but it was for some other people I've met), which could reduce the absorbtion of nutrition.

Thanks for the helpful information!

Does anyone know her HW? I only know that she never was chubby/pudgy/thick/fat/whatever.

she didn't become anorexic because she was ever fat/chubby but for other reasons. Which I can imagine makes it easier to come to terms with weight gain during recovery. For many anorexics that means getting fat again, but in her case I think she will look great.

Unfortunately I think it might be more complicated than this. I can never speak for others of course - maybe that idea would help some people, but still I believe that many strong and deep beliefs and interpersonal factors contribute to anorexics staying anorexic, including the fact that weight becomes analogous with parts of their experience or personality that they wish to suppress; that's what makes it so important, rather than simple appearance, and these factors are often invisible even to the sufferer. I hope to be wrong in Nancy's case, but even if not, I wish her the strength to overcome them.

Unfortunately I think it might be more complicated than this. I can never speak for others of course - maybe that idea would help some people, but still I believe that many strong and deep beliefs and interpersonal factors contribute to anorexics staying anorexic, and that these are often invisible even to the sufferer. I hope to be wrong in Nancy's case, but even if not, I wish her the strength to overcome hers.

Of course because it's a mental illness it's more complicated, I just meant that while she may feel fat when she has gained weight (I think her gw is 45 kg?), other recovered anorexics actually are fat. Here I was thinking of a former classmate who was anorexic, I saw her lately after 2 years, and she's very chubby and doesn't look as good as she did when she was anorexic, but she was sick and she needed to recover. I'm happy that she's healthy again, but I know her and I know that it's hard for her to be so chubby.

Yes, parents do play a large role on their children’s development regarding food. I know my mom has always struggled to have a good/balanced relationship with food. She never had an ED but was always talking about her weight since I was young. And it has definitely shaped me from a very young age on how I view food as well. And even the constant thought of weight and what I put in my mouth started when I was very young. I’m actually surprised I didn’t develop an ED.

We're so alike. :wtf: My mom was horribly bulimic during high school, and although she is very healthy and happy and recovered now, I can still tell that weight will always be something that tortures her. And she definitely had her influences on me. I remember being 9 years old and not wanting to wear shorts because I thought my thighs were fat. And I didn't learn how to swim until I was about 12 because at 7 years old I thought I was so fat that I would sink in the water. I can't remember when or how I got over those negative thoughts, but I definitely did because by 15 I was starting to look like a chubby little hamster for real.
:nopity: