Snejana Onopka

Am I the only one who thinks this is complete bullshit?

First, she reportedly shot for covers of both Ukrainian and Russian Harper’s Bazzar September issue.

Second, she gave an interview to a Ukrainian publication and apparently, she’s planning on getting married. She gave an interview to Jetsetter.ua.

About Dreams
I dreamed to be a model since I was a child and participated in [beauty] competitions. However, at 15, after having returned from an unseccessful modeling trip from Japan, despite an invitation from the Elite modeling agency, whose booker came specifically to Kyiv, I decided to put an end to this career. And only a couple years later, when I was invited to work with a New York agency DNA, whose models included Linda Evangelista and Natalia Vodianova, I changed my mind, and decided that even if my modeling career doesn’t work out, at least I’ll get to see New York.

About Passports and Steven Meisel
At 18, I came to New York with a visa for 3 months. First two months I spent running around doing test shoots and wanted to give up and return home, but realized that I had lost my passport. While I was getting my passport papers in order, I was invited to a casting by the Steven Meisel assistant who took a liking to me. After I got a stamp of approval from Meisel, I did campaigns for Dolce & Gabbana and Prada. Without a doubt Steven played the biggest role in my career, I owe my success to him.

About Relationship with Oleksander Onishchenko
In my life I had a five and a half year relationship which I hadn’t been able to get over for a really long time – everything ended so suddenly. Then I dated O. Onishchenko for a year. It wasn’t a PR, we really were dating and he helped me a lot. There was I period when I had depression and Oleksander tried to lift me up, entertained me. We remain good friends.

About Favorite Dishes
I don’t diet, eat whenever I want and whatever I want. If time allows, I go to gym where I work with a personal trainer. My favorite dishes are Risotto at Parisian L’Avenue and our waffle cake with condensed milk.

About Clothing Style
I like jackets, jeans, t-shirts - that’s my style and I think it will remain my style for many years to come. I also really like dresses from Emilio Pucci and Balmain, clothes from Isabel Marant and Gucci. But I feel most comfortable in jeans and a t-shirt.

People say I go clubbing a lot, but that’s not true. In seven years of modeling I’ve been to clubs abroad only a handful of times.

About Beauty Secrets
I have allergies from makeup. Therefore, my main rule – take with me to shoots and runway shows, my allergy medicine. And in order to always look good, gotta have plenty of sleep.

About Meeting [current boyfriend] and Wedding
Nikolai and I hung out in same circles but never actually met each other. One time I was sitting with my girlfriends at a restaurant Ikra and Nikolai set at the next table. He was starring at me that I got uncomfortable and left. While I was driving, my phone rang – it was he. Nikolai asked me out on a date. I said yes. The funniest part, I was about 40 minutes late to the date, I was sitting in my car and I couldn’t decide whether to go in or not. In the end, we had a good time but there was no spark. We went our separate ways. We met again some time later and realized that we didn’t want to live without each other. We’ve been together 10 months now and are thinking about getting married. However, I don’t want any celebrations, I don’t like big weddings. I just want to get a marriage license.

About Favorite Dishes
I don’t diet, eat whenever I want and whatever I want. If time allows, I go to gym where I work with a personal trainer. My favorite dishes are Risotto at Parisian L’Avenue and our waffle cake with condensed milk.
Yeah right! I wish models were more honest about their eating habits because we all need the reminder that perfect bodies require hard work

Yeah right! I wish models were more honest about their eating habits because we all need the reminder that perfect bodies require hard work

I don't understand it. In a video she was asked what models eat and she said "You know, actually nothing, stomach's working for the time being." and in this interview she is talking complete bullshit.

I don't understand it. In a video she was asked what models eat and she said "You know, actually nothing, stomach's working for the time being." and in this interview she is talking complete bullshit.

I think I know what interview you're talking about.. she's kinda contradicting herself.

tumblr_mcharxCR2L1qaojoro1_500.jpg

^^Why does this picture come up again and again? Let's keep the Snejana we all like in our minds :)

Cold, icy, and fabulous.

tumblr_lvyk4fmZOZ1qm86p7o1_250.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
I love how models and celebs say they are naturally thin. I can understand if one is a teenager but an adult! Highly unlikely! We aren't fools, ya know.

Everytime I see this photograph I go like "HOLY HIP BONES!"

:drool:
Never gets old

tumblr_lvlt4r6nhe1qb06pho1_500.jpg

Recent interview

Celebrating her birthday today is Snejana Onopka. When we hear the phrase “the most successful Ukrainian model” we immediately see Snejana in the works of M&M, Meisel, Roversi, Lagerfeld or another genius of modern fashion. Very recently came out a campaign for Tom Ford Beauty, the face of which is Snejana Onopka.

In December, Snejana covered L’Officiel Ukraine, shot by a young Ukrainian designer, Sonia Plakidyuk. A few days before her birthday, which she plans to spend on a photoshoot with M&M, Snejana told FashionWeek why one shouldn’t start a modeling career before 20, her relationships with Meisel and Emmanuel Alt, why she is not on facebook or instagram, and also, whether she’s ready to help new designers.

Last summer, everyone saw the amazing campaign Tom Ford Beauty. You hadn’t done many shoots prior to it. Excellent come back.

I never went anywhere. Models who have been in the business for so long and still do respectable work can be counted on the fingers of one hand. I do respectable work and maintain a level. To stay in the industry for so long – that’s a victory for me. True, I work less now than I did in the beginning of my career.

How was working with Tom Ford? You said before that he was an idol for you. What did you feel when you ended up near him?

I wouldn’t call him an idol. People like Karl Lagerfeld and Tom Ford I consider legends. And of course I wanted to meet him. Therefore, when I was booked for this job, I was very happy. Tom Ford is a very friendly person, and thus, the job went pleasantly.

Tom Ford personally picked you for the Tom Ford Beauty campaign?

There was a team that worked on the campaign. M&M, perhaps the most famous photographers today, and of course Tom Ford. I think the three of them talked and picked me (laughs).

Did you know Tom Ford prior to shooting the campaign?

No, we met on the shoot.

Which have more drive? Photoshoots or the podium?

I prefer the photoshoots. Runway shows are always accompanied with lots of stress. When you’re no longer 15, all these people who constantly pull at you – it’s tiring. I think I’m pass that age when runways are a drive.

Which models from a previous wave do you respect the most?

I really like Natalia Vodianova, Daria Werbowy, Kate Moss. I like girls who are individuals and not just models. You know as they say, “beauty will save the world.” I respect those models who use their fame to help people. For example, Natalia Vodianova is actively doing charity work, building children’s playgrounds, helps kids. For me, Natalia is first of all an individual and then a model.

What do you plan on doing after your modeling career is over? I know many wish to remain in the fashion industry. For example Alla Kostromichova has already opened a modeling agency. Anja Rubik is publishing a fashion magazine.

I have many plans. But I think life will put everything in its place and I will do what I’m supposed to.

In one of the interviews, you said you wanted to become a psychologist. This profession is still in your plans?

It was in my plans. I even entered a university, but it didn’t happen because of the constant trips for work. But I read a lot of literature, and psychology is more of a hobby for me. I’m not planning to make it my profession. I don’t think I’m ready yet for other people’s problems.

You’ve worked with I&V, Meisel, Lagerfeld, Testino and Tom Ford. What unites all these people in their jobs?

It’s their commitment and ability to work. The drive to be the first and the best. People put a goal before them and they go for it.

And with whom do you have the closest professional relationship?

Emmanuel Alt. For me, she’s a true style icon. Insanely beautiful woman, who’s able to make an extravaganze from any photo. For me, she’s number one.

Your personal style is similar to Emmanuel Alt too.

It’s a pleasure working with her. Everything she does is quality work.

There were models in the 90s whom people knew by name: Linda, Christy, Naomi, Kate. In those days, all models had big personalities. You belong to a group that a subsequent group of models who’re also known by all by their first name: Snejana, Agyness, Sasha, Raquel, Natalia. How is it? Do you value that fame and success that you have?

Of course I value it and it’s a great pleasure that I still caught a period where models were known by their names.

I feel like you’re one of the ones who made up this group, not just caught a time of it.

Of course. I mean that these days, they want to see celebrities in the fashion industry and not models. The golden-days of models were in the 90s along with Naomi and Claudia. But I’m happy with the result that I’ve accomplished, I consider it a real success.

What’s the difference between a model and a supermodel?

Everything with a “super” in front of it is foreign for me, so I can’t answer your question.

Remember that Linda Evangelista phrase that she won’t get out of bed for less than 10000 dollars? Do you have a number like that?

It depends not on the sum of money, but the team of people who will work on the job. There are jobs that I would happily do even for free. There are people with whom I will work always and with whatever demands and I would be very happy. Of course there are jobs that pay good money, but it’s not very interesting for me.

How should a model prepare for a photoshoot?

Get a good night sleep and be in a good mood.

I know that a lot of models say they “become” the role during a shoot – they think of a story in their head, playing a certain character. Do you also do that?

No. I don’t do any of that. I don’t consider any of us actresses, no reason to become a role. There’s a team that will help and it’s not as difficult as for actresses.

Do you do those kind of jobs?

It all depends on my mood and my plans.

Do you like working with new talents? For example, for the December issue of L’Officiel Ukraine, you were shot by a young photographer Sonia Plakidyuk. Sonia is very proud of having worked with you. How do you like the result of the shoot? Happy with the young team?

Young talent is always good. And if there’s an opportunity to help them, I’m always ready. Nevertheless, I can’t lie, working with Meisel or M&M is better and more comfortable.

And what about the result of the photoshoot for L’Officiel?

I like the cover and the editorial. I think Sonia has a bright future. She’s young and talented.

You probably know about the upcoming Vogue Ukraine. The first issue is coming out in March. Was it an honor for you to work with Vogue Ukraine?

I’ve already worked with Vogue Ukraine. I had a shoot. I can’t say that it was an honor for me. In my 8 years in the fashion industry, I’ve earned a certain status and level. I shot a few photographs for Vogue Ukraine – we’ll see what comes of it. But I can’t say that it was my dream or that I’m incredibly happy to be on the pages of this magazine.

You know as soon as they announced Vogue Ukraine, we surveyed fashion insiders about whom they saw on the cover of the first issue and practically all said it was you. Turns out, it won't be you.

When they asked me for this shoot I said no for a long time because I think I do actually deserve to be on the cover of the first issue of Vogue Ukraine. I think I’m a woman who deserves respect and who’s achieved certain heights in the fashion industry.

Do you count how many covers you did in your life?

No, I don’t count. I think there are still heights that I haven’t conquered and that I can still conquer.

Do you collect materials on yourself?

My mom does.

Do you look through them?

When I’m in the mood I might pick up a magazine and flip through it.

Steven Meisel once said “I now go to work and it’s a totally different world. I became a different person and models changed. What can I say to a 16-year old who doesn’t even speak my language?” What changes occurred in the fashion industry between when you started modeling and now?

There are a lot of 15 year old in modeling now. I don’t think it’s right. I wouldn’t send my child into modeling at that age. They’re all such young children and for whom rejection will be very painful. I think models shouldn’t start before 20.

But you also started quite young?

So I can say from my own experience how many unnecessary heartaches it is. Everything comes with time to those who wait. I started working professionally at 18. I think had I started earlier, nothing would’ve worked out. A model is not just a pretty picture, it’s a person first of all. And people like Emmanuel Alt or Steven Meisel value just that. For me, the true models are Natalia Vodianova, Natasha Poly, Anja Rubik – models who have a status and professionalism. People who love what they do.

I recently saw a film “Face of a Supermodel” about cult supermodels about models like Jerry Hall and Isabella Rosselini. They all talk about how difficult it is to portray sex and passion at 14 and 15.

That’s what I’m talking about. How can a girl portray passion or sex when she’s never had a boyfriend. There are unique cases of course, but they’re few.

And how did you get through this?

Steven Meisel is a great creator and a genius. I had my first photoshoot with him. Therefore, my first experience was less painful. He showed me and told me everything.

Do you maintain a relationship with him?

I work with him periodically. This is a man who gives a break through for new faces, gives them a chance. He gave me a start. I will always remember him with aw and gratefulness.

fashionweek.kiev.ua

cont.

How is it working with Meisel? I’ve heard stories about models who had to hold a pose for two hours until Meisel comes in and press a button.

I too have heard a million stories about him. It wasn’t like that with me. I never held a pose for two hours. All the shoots were easy and fun. Steven shows in which pose he wants to see you and at the same gives you freedom to move. If only it all were so simple on a shoot to just stand there for two hours.

He takes a personal role in a photoshoot?

He’s the one who talks to you and shows and tells you what to do.

I know that there are photographers who are tyrants and not tyrants. Have you met such tyrants?

To be honest, thankfully not. My personality is such that I wouldn’t put up with it.

So is it fair to conclude that such tyrants don’t exist since you’ve worked with them all?

Yes, I think that’s so (laughs).

Do you have any taboo’s in your job. For example not to shoot nude or with fur?

This is the industry where there shouldn’t be any taboos. It’s art. And shooting nude – it can also be beautiful.

Remember that story with Cindy Crawford and her PETA campaign? A year later, she walked a runway show in fur. Everyone attacked her. What do you think of it?

I love fur and nevertheless, I love animals – it says nothing. Everyone has his own profession for which we get paid. To judge Cindy here is foolish.

Lets talk about the photoshoot for Vogue Paris where you portrayed Anna Wintour. Did you ever think it would cause such resonance?

To be honest, no.

Do you realize it’s the same Anna Wintour who strikes fear in everyone?

I wasn’t thinking about that. Probably because I was young.

Your participation in Andre Tan show, free of charge, is a form of charity of sorts. Do you plan to support Ukrainian designers in the future?

If my heart desires it, then why not.

Does it desire that now?

Not yet (laughs).

Do you know that your “I don’t give a ****” runway walk made the top 10 walks in the fashion industry?

Honestly no. But it’s very pleasing.

Did you train to walk like that?

No I didn’t train. I think it’s cool. It just makes me realize that I’m in my place.

You have become very active on the social networks recently. Your accounts on facebook and instagram have become very popular. Is it you?

That’s not me. I’m not anywhere.

Everyone is following you and likes your posts.

That’s not me.

And not your mom?

Not my mom.

Question then, why aren’t you on the social networks?

I don’t know how to take pictures and post it somewhere. I have my personal life and I don’t want to make it public. For example if I’m vacationing somewhere, it shouldn’t be interesting to anyone.

In the fashion circles, there’s a talk about your difficult personality. However, I’ve not noticed it yet.

Yeah, I’m not the easiest person. But I also have some positive qualities. We laugh with Loui Moreno, hairstylist, when he says “Snejana, you can be so difficult.” I really hate when they put extensions in my hair and always say “Maybe we don’t have to put this in. Please?”. Of course, I’m not the easiest person, but not the most difficult, I don’t think (laughs).

People on forums call you a diva. How do you feel about that?

I don’t consider myself a diva. I’m a woman who deserves respect and as I said already, I don’t think these “super” titles. I’m striving to be in m place and make this world a tiny bit better.

December 15 is your birthday. Tell us how you’re planning on celebrating?

You know, I’m optioned for a M&M shoot for that day. I’m not going to break tradition and will celebrate my birthday working