Ask a model anything

Loved this thread and thank you so much for taking the time to answer, it great to get an insight!

@No One
Thank you for taking the time to answer! I am so glad you were free today :)

Question:
Is someone with a legitimate mental illness like Anorexia be able to become a successful working model? I mean the media keeps portraying models as some mental sick species, but they're just trying to fill up the paper. I just want to know from your perspective, can a model with a severe mental illness such as Anoerexia linger for long in the business and rise up to be successful?

I am huge fan of Siri and she was known to have had Anorexia but she is so successful, I feel like it is impossible that such mental illness and success in the model industry can parallel in one direction!

I don't know I feel like with Siri, perhaps it was more like a brief stage of obsession than an actual illness, since she is still an amazing working model?

I am sorry if I seem to be making assumptions... just my thoughts.

Last edited by a moderator:
What's more important modelling-wise weight or measurements ? ( It may come across as a stupid question but I was always wondering if there are any successful models that have small measurements even though their weight isn't too low )

Post 4

Is someone with a legitimate mental illness like Anorexia be able to become a successful working model? I mean the media keeps portraying models as some mental sick species, but they're just trying to fill up the paper. I just want to know from your perspective, can a model with a severe mental illness such as Anoerexia linger for long in the business and rise up to be successful?
I am huge fan of Siri and she was known to have had Anorexia but she is so successful, I feel like it is impossible that such mental illness and success in the model industry can parallel in one direction!
I don't know I feel like with Siri, perhaps it was more like a brief stage of obsession than an actual illness, since she is still an amazing working model?

I personally believe it really depends on the individual and how severe the illness is. Of course as sick as it sounds, it would benefit you in the fact that you will probably get skinnier, but you won't have energy and your head would not be in the game, only on food, if that makes sense. There is more than just one successful model that has/had suffered from illnesses such as anorexia and bulimia.

Are the chances big/small to do high fashion when your 5'9?

The chances are smaller, but it is very possible.

What's more important modelling-wise weight or measurements ? ( It may come across as a stupid question but I was always wondering if there are any successful models that have small measurements even though their weight isn't too low )

Measurements. Weight is a great guideline, but if a dress calls for a 33inch hip (butt) and even though you may weigh less then a girl by 5 pounds, she may have smaller measurements then you. In the end, no one gives a shit about your weight as long as you are stick thin, fit the clothing properly, and look gorgeous.

I personally believe it really depends on the individual and how severe the illness is. Of course as sick as it sounds, it would benefit you in the fact that you will probably get skinnier, but you won't have energy and your head would not be in the game, only on food, if that makes sense. There is more than just one successful model that has/had suffered from illnesses such as anorexia and bulimia.

The chances are smaller, but it is very possible.

Measurements. Weight is a great guideline, but if a dress calls for a 33inch hip (butt) and even though you may weigh less then a girl by 5 pounds, she may have smaller measurements then you. In the end, no one gives a shit about your weight as long as you are stick thin, fit the clothing properly, and look gorgeous.

Thank you very much for answering! :)

Wow thank you for this amazing insight! There's no where else you could go to find out all this honest info about the modelling industry :)

So interesting to read the replies
Thank you for taking the time to answer :luv:

To all the "No-One's" that have answered, thank you! You guys are awesome :luv:

@No One how many people are usually on set during a shoot? A casting? Do you have a preference in terms of working with either men or women?

I'm so interested in this thread. Thank you tremendously for taking the time to answer our questions!

Thank you to all the VIPs who have answered questions! :luv:

I find it interesting that no one keeps a food journal. Is this because you have just adjusted your lifestyle to eating a lot less? Do you add up calories in your head or do you just know now what to eat and what not to eat?

Post 5

how many people are usually on set during a shoot? A casting?
This really depends on what the shoot is for. It could be just the photographer + you to 30+ people (models, makeupartists, crew, etc)

Do you have a preference in terms of working with either men or women?
Nope! I have a preference to working with nice people.

I find it interesting that no one keeps a food journal. Is this because you have just adjusted your lifestyle to eating a lot less? Do you add up calories in your head or do you just know now what to eat and what not to eat?
Food Journals are so you don't usually over eat, because people often forget how much they eat in the day.. we eat so little, it really doesn't matter :shy:

Reactions: 1 user
Food Journals are so you don't usually over eat, because people often forget how much they eat in the day.. we eat so little, it really doesn't matter :shy:

That makes perfect sense, thank you!

It really is an inspiring lifestyle.

How intense is the weight situation? Do you find yourself constantly competing for thinness? Is the pressure bad? Eating Disorders common? I need to know.

Post 6

How intense is the weight situation?
For models in general or myself? I can't really speak for other people..
For myself, weight is a good guideline and I strive to have a low BMI but measurements are most important.

Do you find yourself constantly competing for thinness?
Yes.

Eating Disorders common?
I do believe girls hide them well. They may not have an 'Eating Disorder' but many girls have 'Disordered Eating'.

Which shows pay the most/least?

Hah, alot of shows in NY don't pay money... they pay in clothing. But it also depends how big your name is... Gisele vs Ruby Aldridge, obviously Gisele would make more. There are so many factors. Perhaps a girl with more experience could explain further..

@FashionThin & @Runweigh