• You can now apply for Skinny Gossip membership online. Click here to begin.
  • We are getting a lot more membership applications than we expected. Be patient while we work through the pile. DO NOT submit a second application!!

The Man Repeller

elle_w00ds

Grand Dame
i cant help but think that everyone who skinny shames has probably suffered from an eating disorder and now has to desperately resort to believing that all skinny women are anorexic/bulimic as a way to cope with there own mental illness.
Satisfying diagnostic criteria is not strictly necessary for female vitriol, aka 'social competition: it's a thing'. But my tendentious interpretation is also of 'well-meaning concern' as disguised 'let's project my body issues onto [Leandra] as criticism of her being "too skinny" so I can feel better about myself'.

...which is always despicable, and usually a reach, but especially when there's a more proximal explanation. She DID recently have two babies, so any perceived 'too skinny' and 'looking exhausted' can more plausibly be ascribed to breastfeeding and sleepless nights than the painfully cliched anorexia default.

Probabilities aside, there's a normative layer to the mental illness blitz pathologising and de-legitimising the target so I think extra caution is appropriate before you stick that label on someone.

Last edited:

vanitas

Grand Dame
She DID recently have two babies, so any perceived 'too skinny' and 'looking exhausted' can more plausibly be ascribed to breastfeeding and sleepless nights than the painfully cliched anorexia default.
This is something that drives me nuts because people always ascribe any weight loss in myself to some kind of eating disorder but I run a business and have two kids so just don't get a whole lot of time to sit and eat.

People tend to disbelieve slimmer mothers when they say they don't have time to eat but they forget that everyone is different and not everyone has identical priorities or interests so just because, for a lot of women, they manage to making eating a priority, doesn't mean that every other mother will.

Also, kids need exercise and then carrying home afterwards. They're exhausting. Twins are really, really exhausting. Some women won't lose weight doing this but some will. And a few might develop eating disorders but not all the skinny ones will have eating disorders and not all the eating disorders will be in skinny women; just like any other demographic.