The Man Repeller

i cant help but think that everyone who skinny shames has probably suffered from an eating disorder and now has to desperately resort to believing that all skinny women are anorexic/bulimic as a way to cope with there own mental illness.
Satisfying diagnostic criteria is not strictly necessary for female vitriol, aka 'social competition: it's a thing'. But my tendentious interpretation is also of 'well-meaning concern' as disguised 'let's project my body issues onto [Leandra] as criticism of her being "too skinny" so I can feel better about myself'.

...which is always despicable, and usually a reach, but especially when there's a more proximal explanation. She DID recently have two babies, so any perceived 'too skinny' and 'looking exhausted' can more plausibly be ascribed to breastfeeding and sleepless nights than the painfully cliched anorexia default.

Probabilities aside, there's a normative layer to the mental illness blitz pathologising and de-legitimising the target so I think extra caution is appropriate before you stick that label on someone.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 2 users
She DID recently have two babies, so any perceived 'too skinny' and 'looking exhausted' can more plausibly be ascribed to breastfeeding and sleepless nights than the painfully cliched anorexia default.

This is something that drives me nuts because people always ascribe any weight loss in myself to some kind of eating disorder but I run a business and have two kids so just don't get a whole lot of time to sit and eat.

People tend to disbelieve slimmer mothers when they say they don't have time to eat but they forget that everyone is different and not everyone has identical priorities or interests so just because, for a lot of women, they manage to making eating a priority, doesn't mean that every other mother will.

Also, kids need exercise and then carrying home afterwards. They're exhausting. Twins are really, really exhausting. Some women won't lose weight doing this but some will. And a few might develop eating disorders but not all the skinny ones will have eating disorders and not all the eating disorders will be in skinny women; just like any other demographic.

• Agree
  • Love
Reactions: 9 users
I love Leandra! She carries her unconventional beauty so well and her legs are to die for. I can only aspire to be like her :luvluv:

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Mainly posting because the man she is with is quite good looking ;)
Leandra-Medine-by-STYLEDUMONDE-Street-Style-Fashion-Photography20180930_48A9264.jpg

Leandra is lovely as always. But it’s kind of a mindfuck that she’s half the size of “high fashion model” Gigi :wtf:

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users
I have worked with and have met LM multiple times.
Just a secret. She definitely is still struggling, to the point where she ruined her own company with her issues. (Narcissism, perfectionism, and judgemental behavior) She often commented on other people's bodies and subsists off of baby carrots. Not an exaggeration. After the twins, she went back to her ED. Which is very unfortunate. I will miss MR as it was in the past. I'd explain more about the downfall of her company but i'm sure you've seen the multiple articles. Always a fan of her style though.

• Sad
  • Useful
Reactions: 11 users
I have worked with and have met LM multiple times.
Just a secret. She definitely is still struggling, to the point where she ruined her own company with her issues. (Narcissism, perfectionism, and judgemental behavior) She often commented on other people's bodies and subsists off of baby carrots. Not an exaggeration. After the twins, she went back to her ED. Which is very unfortunate. I will miss MR as it was in the past. I'd explain more about the downfall of her company but i'm sure you've seen the multiple articles. Always a fan of her style though.
I would love to hear what happened! The Man Repeller used to be a great online fashion community but then it slowly declined over the last years. And then it resulted in the unfortunate culmination of Repeller, which just shut down. I used to love going to their site but stopped around a year ago. I've walked by Leandra quite a few times in the city, and I do feel fond of her. I hope she's ok!

Screen Shot 2021-03-09 at 6.16.03 PM.png
Leandra's skinny lunch of mini-toasts posted onto her new newsletter The Cereal Aisle

Some shots from her newsletter.

Attachments

• 85F3E4F6-C2BE-424A-A0B0-DE4FF5734297.png
    85F3E4F6-C2BE-424A-A0B0-DE4FF5734297.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 215
  • DFB5A6F9-E75C-4D14-AC73-EF90E2C8FF0B.png
    DFB5A6F9-E75C-4D14-AC73-EF90E2C8FF0B.png
    526 KB · Views: 213
  • BC801F3E-5045-45DD-B24B-183AC70AFACF.png
    BC801F3E-5045-45DD-B24B-183AC70AFACF.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 212
Some shots from her newsletter.

Were these meant to be thinspo? She has an ED as stated in her book and earlier in the thread. Wish her the best but I don't find her motivating.

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users
She looks absolutely terrible to me, because she has an ED. She’s pale, she looks tired and lackluster in every way. She’s not inspirational anymore.

• Agree
Reactions: 7 users
A relatively recent article on Leandra via The Cut:

Wait…what? She thought she grew up in poverty with a Hamptons second house and an UES private school education? This is more evidence that her mind is a little…off.

Attachments

• 39B9DDD3-0E8F-4FA6-9C35-3CDAD63D7711.jpeg
    39B9DDD3-0E8F-4FA6-9C35-3CDAD63D7711.jpeg
    250.7 KB · Views: 193
  • DD5EA4F2-9F3C-43B8-8850-C08697A71891.jpeg
    DD5EA4F2-9F3C-43B8-8850-C08697A71891.jpeg
    327.4 KB · Views: 193
  • Agree
  • Funny
Reactions: 2 users
Sorry for bumping this thread if this isn’t worth it… but a rare admission of discipline on Instagram seemed interesting to me. I don’t care that she answered the question, I’m just impressed that she didn’t caveat with “I eat whatever I want!!!” She is thin for a non-model mother of 2, but her skin is still so sad, likely due to her bad habits….

That said, she has had an ED in the past, but I think this kind of candor denotes a healthier relationship with food. She seems unemotional about it and willing to poke fun at the topic. Sending her good thoughts.
517CB010-BF4E-44FE-A692-EC3A9243D9D0.jpeg
A screenshot from the video in the post.
61D3BC2C-A8B0-4FE1-B010-C19552B9EABF.jpeg

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users