Skinny athletic/athleisure clothes

salander

Rising Star
Jul 6, 2019
NYC
Hey all -

I live in athletic/athleisure clothing, and I’m assuming I may not be the only one here that does. I’m finding that as I’ve gotten smaller it has been harder to find things that fit just so - for me this is especially a problem with leggings - does anyone else have them fit everywhere but the knees that look baggy for some reason? Or they work on my legs but the waist gaps?

I thought it would be nice to have a thread where folks could post recommendations for good skinny girl athletic clothing and brands that have worked well for you and your frame. Knowing brands that tend to run large/small, things that hold up well or are good quality, and companies that have size ranges that go beyond S/M/L/XL would be great information to have.

I know quite a long time ago there was a workout clothes thread (I contributed to it, even), but I think this is a bit different. I also wanted to go beyond that more into athleisure and/or casual looks, or have a place where folks could share outfits or style they like that’s not high fashion so much as “heading to the gym but still look good” fashion, I guess.

Thanks in advance for your replies and I’ll raid my closet to look at the brands for things I’d recommend tonight. 😊

I recently bought a couple pairs of leggings from puma and reebok, because I saw they both now do an XXS, and they're pretty tiny. The Puma ones were not quite so tiny around the waist though.

Lululemon leggings go down to 0/xxxs. The size chart puts this at a 21" waist and 32" hip.

• Agree
  • Jizztastic
Reactions: 3 users
Lululemon leggings go down to 0/xxxs. The size chart puts this at a 21" waist and 32" hip.

Seconding lululemon, they are my go to for running tights and I got a pair with an internal (invisible) drawstring at the waist so they fit perfectly (although I don’t remember the exact name of them unfortunately).

Agree on Lululemon - but wait, when did they start offering size 0? I remember buying a pair of Align Pants a few years ago and they still had size 2 as their smallest size. Is the size 0 now the same as their old "xxs smallest size" size 2, or is it much smaller?

Agree on Lululemon - but wait, when did they start offering size 0? I remember buying a pair of Align Pants a few years ago and they still had size 2 as their smallest size. Is the size 0 now the same as their old "xxs smallest size" size 2, or is it much smaller?
I think 0 is smaller than their size 2 but I could be wrong. I recently tried on a size 2 in-store and it's the same as what I purchased a few years ago. It might be that some stores don't carry a 0 so it has to be purchased online.

Reactions: 1 users
Sorry to double-post; I missed the editing window and wanted to clarify. Since the 2 is the same now as in the past, I would guess that the 0 is truly a smaller size than the 2, not just the result of number-shuffling to make it appear so.

I think 0 is smaller than their size 2 but I could be wrong. I recently tried on a size 2 in-store and it's the same as what I purchased a few years ago. It might be that some stores don't carry a 0 so it has to be purchased online.

Yep! The size 2 has remained consistent over the years and the 0 is smaller. I’ve only ever found 0’s online though, or if someone has brought in a return.

My favorite are the train times leggings :luv:, followed by the wunder under low rise.

• Love
Jumping into the Lululemon parade! I hadn’t known they came out with a size 0. Last time I went there (7 weeks ago), a rep told me smallest size is a 2 (which is perf for my measurements at the moment). Could be piece-dependent?

Don’t forget they offer complimentary hemming! Totally make use of that if you need it.

Thank you all so much for your replies! I love Lululemon (and their Sweat Collective discount!), but alas, I stick mostly to joggers there because their leggings are some of the ones that always seem to be cut baggy at the knees for me! 😞 But their quality is wonderful and I do love the things I own from there. Admittedly the seamless legging styles work better for me than the standard Wunder Unders or Align styles.

Here are some of my non-Lululemon favorites for finding skinny fitting athletic/athleisure so I can contribute to my own post:

Girlfriend Collective - their brand is very size inclusive (as you will see if you check out their website), but they do have XXS/XS in everything. The quality is awesome and they are thus far the best leggings I have had both in fit and comfort. And they are made from recycled water bottles!

Carbon 38 - their XS fits similar to a Lululemon 2 for most things of their house brand, but they carry things from a lot of different brands that are great (Alo Yoga, Beyond Yoga - their sizes run super tiny in some things, Beach Riot...more I can’t think of at the moment), tons of others. Expensive - again, I’m lucky for the discount they give me, but very edgy/different styles and everything I have gotten has been fantastic quality. It’s also nice that on each thing they show if it runs small/large/true to size which can help you pick.

Titika Active - they do both a 00 and 0, and my jacket from them is one of my favorite pieces of clothing and worth every cent I paid for it. The styles are hit or miss to me, I kind of am looking for specific things, but their range is pretty broad and everything is nicely made.

I have a few things I love from Athleta, but their sizes always seem to run bigger than I like.

Thanks to all for contributions! 😘

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Seconding lululemon! Recently bought the align leggings and they’re sooo comfy. I got a size 2; 0s aren’t available in store and to be honest, I hate too-tight gym clothes even if they’re supposed to fit*. Same with sport bras— I have no tits whatsoever but I usually have to go for small instead of xs or even xxs cause I can’t stand being squeezed so tightly like that. What are you trying to support? There’s nothing there?

Anyways, I also like Sweaty Beatty. Similar demographic and price points to above but has more prints and graphic designs. I really wanna but something from Alo Yoga, and have tried on some Adidas by Stella McCartney and loved it.

*New goal is to get back to a size where a 21” waist and 32” hips sits comfortably on me...

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
Idk but in London size 0 is available in store easily. Besides Lulu I love Gymshark (though XS, the smallest size, can be a bit loose. Depends on the style. Seamless line is OK). Bandier is heaven. I also live in yoga pants by BAM. Sustainable and comfy as all of their stuff are made of recycled bamboo.

• Agree
I highly recommend Bloch activewear. It’s a dance brand and quite pricey but so so worth it. Their leggings are by far the most comfortable ones I own (I practically live in them :hahano:) and their XS is pretty small. It does depend on the model though and can be a bit loose around the waist.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
Both Lululemon and Alo Yoga fit me and I tend to prefer athleisure {think matching coloured sets} over athletic wear with logos, left right and centre. Through minimal research - thus far, I have found that these brands are also more ethical than brands like Adidas and Nike.
Same with sport bras— I have no tits whatsoever but I usually have to go for small instead of xs or even xxs cause I can’t stand being squeezed so tightly like that. What are you trying to support? There’s nothing there?
I read something similar on Twitter, it was along the lines of, "Females with no breasts, what are you trying to support? Your heartbeat?” I giggled when I was reading that part of your post.

Last edited:
  • Agree
  • Funny
Same with sport bras— I have no tits whatsoever but I usually have to go for small instead of xs or even xxs cause I can’t stand being squeezed so tightly like that. What are you trying to support? There’s nothing there?

Yessss, I hate constricting sports bras with a passion. They make me feel like I’m gasping just to breathe and are so unnecessary for my tiny chest. My favorite sports bras are now girls’ training bras from Target or the like. :lol:

Also seconding the Sweaty Betty suggestion, I have a few tanks from there I love.

Girlfriend Collective - their brand is very size inclusive (as you will see if you check out their website), but they do have XXS/XS in everything. The quality is awesome and they are thus far the best leggings I have had both in fit and comfort. And they are made from recycled water bottles!

Seconding this! The texture of the fabric is smooth and soft, yet holds well. My fave leggings of all time however are the Lululemon Groove pants (for the flare). Girlfriend Collective's original black leggings come in a close second.

Here's a non-recommendation: I tried out Fabletics a few years ago. The sizes do go down quite a bit but the quality is shit.

Reactions: 1 user
Seconding lululemon! Recently bought the align leggings and they’re sooo comfy. I got a size 2; 0s aren’t available in store and to be honest, I hate too-tight gym clothes even if they’re supposed to fit*. Same with sport bras— I have no tits whatsoever but I usually have to go for small instead of xs or even xxs cause I can’t stand being squeezed so tightly like that. What are you trying to support? There’s nothing there?

Anyways, I also like Sweaty Beatty. Similar demographic and price points to above but has more prints and graphic designs. I really wanna but something from Alo Yoga, and have tried on some Adidas by Stella McCartney and loved it.

*New goal is to get back to a size where a 21” waist and 32” hips sits comfortably on me...

I haven't tried Sweaty Betty, I'll have to look them up! Always eager to try a new brand since this is pretty much my whole wardrobe, lol.

And I totally hear you on the sports bra thing - I can easily go braless and not have things bouncing around, but sometimes the band is obnoxious on them and feels like it digs into my ribs...annoying. I feel like good athletic wear should not be distracting when you're wearing it, either from being too tight or too loose. I recently ordered a beautiful low-support longline sports bra from Beyond Yoga and it arrived and its so tiny I'm a bit afraid to try it on (and unfortunately it was on clearance so no returns). It doesn't have an elastic band on the bottom and I know it should stretch, but I am having visions in my head of how overly compressing it will probably feel and cringing a little.

I highly recommend the Alo Yoga stuff - and if you want a discount code on it, let me know. I'm a fan of the Alo airbrush leggings and the goddess leggings are great for those who have very long inseams (I do not, haha, but I love them anyway). If you do it through Carbon 38 who carries their brand I can send you one. :)

Here's a non-recommendation: I tried out Fabletics a few years ago. The sizes do go down quite a bit but the quality is shit.

I've tried a few Fabletics things too and I've had really mixed results. Seems like some of their tops are good from my experience, but the leggings not as much.

Idk but in London size 0 is available in store easily. Besides Lulu I love Gymshark (though XS, the smallest size, can be a bit loose. Depends on the style. Seamless line is OK). Bandier is heaven. I also live in yoga pants by BAM. Sustainable and comfy as all of their stuff are made of recycled bamboo.

I've not heard of Gymshark or BAM, but the pants you're describing sound AMAZING. Thank you! Bandier is awesome too, I have some pieces from them.

I highly recommend Bloch activewear. It’s a dance brand and quite pricey but so so worth it. Their leggings are by far the most comfortable ones I own (I practically live in them :hahano:) and their XS is pretty small. It does depend on the model though and can be a bit loose around the waist.

I wear Bloch leotards all the time, but I haven't checked out their activewear line - I should! Thanks!

Both Lululemon and Alo Yoga fit me and I tend to prefer athleisure {think matching coloured sets} over athletic wear with logos, left right and centre. Through minimal research - thus far, I have found that these brands are also more ethical than brands like Adidas and Nike.

I read something similar on Twitter, it was along the lines of, "Females with no breasts, what are you trying to support? Your heartbeat?” I giggled when I was reading that part of your post.

LOL - it's so true with the bras! I'm right along with you of preferring things without the obvious logos all over. Subtle ones are fine, but I don't like feeling like a walking advertisement. I pretty much only wear black ever, so I'm boring. 😂

Yessss, I hate constricting sports bras with a passion. They make me feel like I’m gasping just to breathe and are so unnecessary for my tiny chest. My favorite sports bras are now girls’ training bras from Target or the like. :lol:

Also seconding the Sweaty Betty suggestion, I have a few tanks from there I love.

Hey, nothing wrong with Target! 😂 Two people recommending Sweaty Betty means I'm about to get on their site, haha.

I just put in an order with Titika Active, looking forward to getting a couple bodysuits, a crop top, some fleece lined pants that are supposed to run small, and another one of the amazing jackets that made me fall in love with their brand almost half off. :)

Can anyone speak to how Outdoor Voices fits? I’ve never tried on anything by them but I like the look of some of their stuff (although I think it’s only online?)