Short Models?

Discussion in 'Fashion Industry' started by skinnysophia1991, May 27, 2014.

1. What is the general industry consensus on short models? I've done quite a bit of freelance collaborations over time but am now looking to take my modelling more seriously and maybe eventually try to get signed by an agency. The only problem is I am 5ft3. Myself and my old housemate would regularly answer casting calls for Alt shoots and even though they favoured her 5'11 stature they were always more pleased with the final images from my shoots and would ask me back again.
    Just wanting to know if I have a shot at the small time basically, I know I'll never walk for Chanel, Thierry Mugler or Michael Kors as I'd dream but a girl can wish for something right?

2. habenula

habenula Super Star

No one was responding to this, so I figured I might as well.

In a word: no. :run:

I'm not at all involved in the fashion industry. Literally no connection whatsoever. But it's honestly common sense, so I think I can answer your question. Even "petites" (whatever they do) are much taller than 5'3". I'm sure a VIP can speak to this much, much better than I can, but they are also probably tired of fielding questions like this. Sorry.

3. ZeroDiet

ZeroDiet SkinnyGossip Royal

Not a fashion VIP either, but... even 5'7" looks stumpy on the runway. At 5'3" you will never do high fashion, but maybe something commercial if you're REALLY good. Not to burst your bubble not alt shoots do not make you a model... there's a takedown thread here for that.

4. Coral

Coral Rising Star

5'3" and 116lbs ....
    Enough said.

• Like Like x 5
  5. No One

No One Anonymous VIPs
    VIP

6. W0nderland

W0nderland Rookie

Being 5'3'' I know exactly how you feel and in short the answer is no, we most likely will never walk the runway for high fashion. I watched a documentary once on how a girl who was short and desperately wanted become a high fashion model, so she had surgery on her legs to extend her height, crazy.

7. Butternut

Butternut Grand Dame

What was the name? That sounds entertaining.

8. LisaBabyMJ

LisaBabyMJ Rookie

Ugh I hate being short I see it as a curse and it makes things 100x worse when people make comments to the point I wanna jump off a bridge...anyways since I look soo young as well I can be a model for kids clothes lol

9. ariam

ariam Rookie

Anja Konstantinova was 5'3" and shes the only one I can think of. but almost everything she did was face or solo shoots - it'd throw off the balance in photos with other models

10. doors-of-perception

doors-of-perception Worker Bee

Maybe you can do something else in fashion? Honestly, really think you would find happiness pursuing something else.

11. As an update I got signed this week to a UK based model agency who has on their list of clients: Topshop, Selfridges and MTV just to name a few. After having all my measuremt a taken I'm actually 5'5, so taller than I originally thought.

12. doors-of-perception

doors-of-perception Worker Bee

:orly:

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

13. Meghan

Meghan Worker Bee

Congrats on getting signed! :) I would looove to model more than anything, and I'm hoping that I'll grow more, as I'm 5'6" right now.

14. habenula

habenula Super Star

MTV?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Scratch

Scratch Worker Bee

Adora Model UK ?

Sophia, you seem to recognise that you're going to be limited by your height and, as you say in your first post, you'll never walk runway or, indeed, be able to be signed by an agency that will allow you to work professionally in a way that pays the bills. But well done on being signed and hope you have some fun with it and get paid for your work. Watch out for unscrupulous people though who may want to take advantage of girls with an agency who don't have such an investment in keeping them safe.

• Like Like x 1
  16. hana114

hana114 Worker Bee

:run: most of the girls on their lists belong in the takedown thread

17. Scratch

Scratch Worker Bee

yeah, I know :meh:

18. Coral

Coral Rising Star

Stop putting out her fire girls... you're all just jealous

:lol::lol:

• Like Like x 2
  19. FashionThin

FashionThin VIP - Insider & The Boss
    Staff Member VIP

OMG you are so nice (seriously).

Because that site is like :hahano:

20. oferta

oferta Grand Dame

Looks like you have taken this very seriously before. ;)

Good luck with your career.