Kay Smetsers (Girlnah on Tumblr)

God, I don't know with this girl. I kinda just want her to always have a bag on her head, her face especially is so awkward it makes me cringe. I have nightmares about that walk for Gucci. I really hope she's taking proper lessons and listening to advice because her body is so perfect, and I really WANT to like her, but...

:popcorn:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-05-02 at 8.16.03 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2017-05-02 at 8.16.03 pm.png
    19.5 KB · Views: 292
  • Funny
Reactions: 5 users
Reminded me of her

Aw, being the person who posted this, I feel bad.

To explain, Ms. Smetsers, since you're reading: it's the voice and eccentricity that reminded me of you, not the line about mental illness. I don't ever want to make fun of someone suffering through difficult mental health issues; that shit is not easy and we don't need any more people not taking it seriously (or, you know, thinking it's "charming"). I genuinely hope you feel better, and please know that I respect and am proud of you for dealing with that anxiety.

To me, when I read that comic, the voice that the artist took on seems to be mocking the breathy Zooey-Deschanel-meets-Alice-in-Wonderland style of writing which you have (and if "you have an unusual writing voice" is novel social feedback to you, I'm going to be floored). There's something about the woman depicted as well, with the fancy dress, and the slouchy, sullen look, but I can't put my finger on what.

I don't know you. I'm a rando on the Internet who's never met you. I've spent maybe half an hour tops scrolling through your posts - that doesn't make up for friends and family who actually have spent time in your physical presence. Who cares what I think? Put your petals back on, girl, I'm just a random internet asshole. And you've got better legs than me.

Reactions: 1 users
To me, when I read that comic, the voice that the artist took on seems to be mocking the breathy Zooey-Deschanel-meets-Alice-in-Wonderland style of writing which you have (and if "you have an unusual writing voice" is novel social feedback to you, I'm going to be floored). There's something about the woman depicted as well, with the fancy dress, and the slouchy, sullen look, but I can't put my finger on what.

I don't find the drawing like Kay but not because I think it's mean at all but because I weirdly read it in the monotonous slow drawl of a New York society lady. :lol:

Imo the tumblr post reminds me of girls who post selfies of themselves crying. :jackoff:

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Just popping in to say that your reply to the situation was very classy, @Ellie, though I don't think you had anything to apologize for.

Not that anyone should ever be targeted or harassed, but when you put yourself out onto the internet as a personality(not someone whose profession incidentally makes them a topic of discussion/views on the 'net), you're essentially marketing a product, and you should probably expect people to have views/feedback on said product.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
Hah, it should be flattering that we have 29 pages dedicated to her questionable model potential--it means she's MADE IT...sort of.
After she sweeps away her dead, weak, wilted, useless petals, she should realize 1) we love her skinny body and actually want (ed?) to see her succeed otherwise she wouldn't have such a long thread. 2) realize maybe this is the slap in the face she needs to get herself more work by finally addressing her complete and utter zombie awkwardness in front of the camera AND WALK, 3) and buying some chapstick.

Wouldn't she rather just know the honest truth than lose out on WORK AND MONEY! Also we reach such conclusions by her OWN random and questionable PUBLIC posts. She's the one putting it out there for the world to see. Also, the clock is ticking on her youth so either shape up or ship out of the industry which also doesn't really care what kind of issues she has because she (like most of the world) is just another pawn for someone else to make MORE MONEY, but hopefully she can find a nice chunk for herself along the way as a model if she works hardER and is stable enough along the way.

And with that I wish her a thicker skin, honest self reflection on why she wants to model, a stronger will to improve and address her various problem areas, and getting some work (we don't find cringe-worthy) in the future.

Last edited:
  • Agree
I don't find the drawing like Kay but not because I think it's mean at all but because I weirdly read it in the monotonous slow drawl of a New York society lady. :lol:
I hear it in this "little girl trying to use big words to sound quirkily naive, yet striking and profound, but on accident, like commas are tickly feathers in the warm, prosaic down blanket of what I wish life were like"

• Funny
I won't lie, I feel for her; she's her own person and I respect her for that, and I think she's beautiful, therefore, she needs to be herself, work on her modeling skills and cut out all the Alice and wonderland crap and just be herself not just the person her tumblr followers want her to be.

Don't have your freaking "petals" torn off because someone wrote something mean on the internet, you put yourself out there and have a decent amount of followers, it was bound to happen.

• Agree
It's funny how every time the person we are talking negatively about in a thread becomes aware of their thread, we suddenly backpedal and are somewhat apologetic. Not to get to philosophical about it but it kind of reminds me of that performance art piece by Marina Ambramovic called Rhythm 0

• Disagree
  • Funny
It's funny how every time the person we are talking negatively about in a thread becomes aware of their thread, we suddenly backpedal and are somewhat apologetic. Not to get to philosophical about it but it kind of reminds me of that performance art piece by Marina Ambramovic called Rhythm 0
I really don't see much backpedaling?

• Agree
"As weak as I am these days"
"All my petals brutally ripped off"

FFS. Enough self pity.
1) It shouldn't really be a surprise that a "public persona" has a page "dedicated" to them. It comes with the territory. Can't take the heat? Then get out of the kitchen. I'm sure @FashionThin can confirm but this is tame compared to the actual industry.
2) Very brave to share mental illness struggles but please don't use it to induce pity/guilt... that includes the constant self pity :rolleyes:

• Agree
  • Love
Reactions: 5 users
And with that I wish her a thicker skin, honest self reflection on why she wants to model, a stronger will to improve and address her various problem areas, and getting some work (we don't find cringe-worthy) in the future.

I concur. If criticism hurts so badly - though maybe this was an offhanded mention and not something catastrophic - perhaps take a look at whether or not you're capable of handling the industry at all?

Surely, she's had to hear most of this before. She can't exist in an echo chamber.

She's had a big following on social media for a long time, is this really the first time she has ever heard any criticisms? Surely there must be some nasty tumblr trolls who've "ripped off her petals" way worse. We've complimented her on her legs body etc so if I were her I'd just take the good with the bad.

Actually though, I just realized that it's probably been very easy to overlook the criticisms because they get buried in with the sycophantic tumblr/Instagram followers.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Just a small update on Kay!
She's recently walked the Gucci resort show, you can see her walk at 6:53.
LFID4V4.jpg

She's also in the Gucci beauty campaign.

And in their Fall campaign.

Alessandro Michele seems to like her a lot! I think that she's a great fit for the current Gucci aesthetic. :grin: