Drag queens!

Discussion in 'Online' started by habenula, Dec 11, 2017.

1. habenula

habenula Rising Star

Wasn't sure where to post this, so I chose the online section! A few (?) people have mentioned starting a drag queen thread, so I thought I'd take the plunge. There are so many beautiful (and skinny!) queens that I thought I'd pay homage to some of my favorites.

1) Love of my life, Hungry. She did the makeup for Björk's new album and has a beautiful aesthetic (she's also my current profile pic).

2) Raja

https://www.instagram.com/p/2WodYBvScU/?taken-by=sutanamrull

3) Aquaria
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BYtSRs3jUlX/?taken-by=ageofaquaria
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BUVvgStjdQc/?taken-by=ageofaquaria

& many more! Please add!

• Love Love x 6
  2. gracilis

gracilis Rising Star

I don't follow drag queens but certainly appreciate the art! It's a range, obviously, but like...curated flippancy, explosive hyper-femininity, celebrated misfit-ism...I dig it. This is an interesting topic and I'm eager to see more! :luvluv:
    Also, Hungry is UNREAL.

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. SecretMelody17

SecretMelody17 SuperStar

Aquaria from the current season of Drag Race is sooooooooooo inspiring to me!
    She's the sexiest, most creative, and most fashion-forward contestant I've ever seen on the show.
    She slays.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. SecretMelody17

SecretMelody17 SuperStar

Here are all of her looks from the season:
    [​IMG]

Not worthy. :bow: :bow: :bow:

5. Dovebssm

Dovebssm Rookie

Gosh i love her, she is so talented:luvluv:
    Also, when a episode airs she post the references of her clothing which are reaaaaally studied
    If she doesn't win i quit watching rpdr for real

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Golden ice

Golden ice Community Duchess

I have to admit that I don't follow this or much of reality TV that much - that being said I don't personally love this body type. I'd classify it as muscly/toned on the slim side as opposed to SG skinny or ideal. I understand that people transitioning may have a hard time coming from the muscle to truly skinny, but really none of the bodies in these pictures are even within 20 lbs of what I see as ideal. Just a personal opinion though, please feel free to disagree.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. FashionThin

FashionThin VIP - Insider & Moderator
    Staff Member Has been a bad girl VIP

I agree. Like I totally get it as art, but these people aren't skinny.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. temporally

temporally Rookie

I’ve yet to catch up on the current season, but I recall immensely enjoying the aesthetics of Violet and Sharon. :)

Violet Chachki

BEFE4943-2A7A-44B9-B412-B3CA02DF8FE3.jpeg

Sharon Needles

E951E44D-3580-48BC-859B-0D0250D3D5B2.jpeg

9. SecretMelody17

SecretMelody17 SuperStar

Ooooooooooh where does she post the references? I wanna see!!! Do you have a link to one?

10. Dovebssm

Dovebssm Rookie

She post it in her instagram stories the day that the episode airs :( so i don't find them all, but i find the one for the feathers look:
    • . Lady Gaga (ARTPOP/GUY video)
    • 2. Kanye (Runaway video)
    • 3. St. Sebastian (depicted by Pierre et Gilles)
    • 4. The Ugly Duckling (color scheme)
    • 5. Philip Treacy (designer)
    • 6. Immodesty Blaize (Burlesque Queen)
    • 7. Jenni Hampshire (designer of sparklewren)
    She mostly inspire in Vintage Thierry Mugler and Lady Gaga for her looks
    034-thierry-mugler-theredlist.jpg f4e39fd2b11fe9201a179619020e0369.jpg Y&I-VIII-1.png fullsizeoutput_6b01-e1526659458133.jpeg

• Love Love x 1
  11. SecretMelody17

SecretMelody17 SuperStar

Wow, thank you for sharing @Dovebssm! What a goldmine of beauty and history!

12. Dovebssm

Dovebssm Rookie

You're welcome :flower: the least I can do as a hardcore fan of the show lol

• Like Like x 1
  13. habenula

habenula Rising Star

I totally agree! I started this thread with the intention of appreciating the art, not really the bodies. I will say, Raja actually did come close to what I would consider "skinny" in 2010 or so, but those days have passed. We can move it elsewhere in the forum if it's in the wrong category.

edit: I see I called them skinny upthread...yikes! My bad!

14. SecretMelody17

SecretMelody17 SuperStar

To me it's more about the art and attitude rather than them being my literal body ideal. I do find that the femininity and beauty exuded by a great drag queen inspires me to look my best and take pride in my appearance, no matter how skinny they are or aren't. But especially someone like Aquaria, who pulls off her looks so well partly because she has this lean, lithe form. To me she's still thinspo even if she's not Vlada skinny. Her style and elegance inspires me to stay thin and polished.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Dovebssm

Dovebssm Rookie

Remember that the biggest part of the drag comunity are men dressed as a hyperfemenine caracterization of a woman, when they end the show they return to the stereotypes that men have (muscular bodies,etc).
    Also, many people prefer to have some bodyfat to shape it and have a "womanly" figure. I wouldn't care less if they are not SG skinny.
    But anyways here is a pic of Naomi because of legs

• Love Love x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1