Documentaries

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Thinning, Jun 24, 2014.

1. nicole120

nicole120 Rising Star

There is a documentary that came out in June called Straight/Curve that "confronts fashion's body-image problem." I haven't seen it (and most likely won't) but the trailer just had me rolling my eyes, as did the interview Vogue did with the director. Looks like Tess Holiday makes an appearance in the doc as well... big surprise.

Yes, blame the fashion industry because you hate your body. Whatever helps you sleep at night.
    But this woman has decided the entire industry must change because she wants it to. Another gem from her interview:
    :headbang:

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. gracilis

gracilis Rising Star

When has fashion ever been reflective of the world we live in? When was that ever been the goal? Hell, even commercial fashion is about low-ball ideals.

Runways should be about transcending the world we live in; high fashion should link us to something more.

No one attends shows to see what they can see in the parking lot.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Love Love x 1
  3. moins

moins Rising Star

New Documentary that looks really interesting! Vogue wrote an article about it here

"Aucoin is documenting the interaction with a handheld camcorder, an accessory that became as familiar to his A-list clientele as his signature sculpting brush. Nearly 20 years later, Aucoin’s personal footage, documenting many intimate—and sometimes dramatic—moments between him and his iconic collaborators and friends, will become public for the first time in the documentary Kevyn Aucoin Beauty & the Beast in Me, which debuts on Logo this Thursday, September 14."

• Like Like x 2
    • Love Love x 1
  4. brindille1

brindille1 Rookie

I enjoyed The First Monday in May. It's about the making of a MET Costume Institute exhibition. The trailer might be a bit off putting since it mentions cringe-worthy celebrities, but honestly bear in mind that a trailer is meant make the product profitable by highlighting what appeals to its target audience.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRFCVG85X_s

5. nicole120

nicole120 Rising Star

Currently watching About Face: Supermodels Then & Now and paused it just to post here that everyone here who is remotely interested in fashion / modeling (aka basically all of us) should watch! There's a thread from 2012 dedicated to it but I figured I'd update here. I'm only halfway through but I'm finding it so interesting.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Diamndgrl

Diamndgrl SuperStar

You guys should check out Rotten on Netflix. It’s all about the food industry and the things they hide from the public. If nothing else it will kill your appetite for awhile!

• Like Like x 1
  7. hazyshadeofwinter

^Seriously. It will. I had to take a time out and come back to it because nausea.

A few others
    A Place at the Table - poverty/food insecurity
    Vegucated - three meat eating cheese loving new yorkers go vegan
    Bite Size - american childhood obesity epidemic
    Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution - series about fat americans
    Soul Food Junkies - more fat americans, this time with a focus southern cooking
    FoodMatters - diet health disease
    Sugar Coated - sugar industry - draws parallels to big tobacco
    Hungry for Change - diet and weightloss, mostly stuff we already know but also a nice reminder

I also watch a mess of crime documentaries... anyone else?

• Like Like x 1