Documentaries

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Thinning, Jun 24, 2014.

1. nicole120

nicole120 Rising Star

There is a documentary that came out in June called Straight/Curve that "confronts fashion's body-image problem." I haven't seen it (and most likely won't) but the trailer just had me rolling my eyes, as did the interview Vogue did with the director. Looks like Tess Holiday makes an appearance in the doc as well... big surprise.

Yes, blame the fashion industry because you hate your body. Whatever helps you sleep at night.
    But this woman has decided the entire industry must change because she wants it to. Another gem from her interview:
    :headbang:

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. gracilis

gracilis Rising Star

When has fashion ever been reflective of the world we live in? When was that ever been the goal? Hell, even commercial fashion is about low-ball ideals.

Runways should be about transcending the world we live in; high fashion should link us to something more.

No one attends shows to see what they can see in the parking lot.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Love Love x 1
  3. moins

moins SuperStar

New Documentary that looks really interesting! Vogue wrote an article about it here

"Aucoin is documenting the interaction with a handheld camcorder, an accessory that became as familiar to his A-list clientele as his signature sculpting brush. Nearly 20 years later, Aucoin’s personal footage, documenting many intimate—and sometimes dramatic—moments between him and his iconic collaborators and friends, will become public for the first time in the documentary Kevyn Aucoin Beauty & the Beast in Me, which debuts on Logo this Thursday, September 14."

• Like Like x 2
    • Love Love x 1
  4. brindille1

brindille1 Worker Bee

I enjoyed The First Monday in May. It's about the making of a MET Costume Institute exhibition. The trailer might be a bit off putting since it mentions cringe-worthy celebrities, but honestly bear in mind that a trailer is meant make the product profitable by highlighting what appeals to its target audience.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRFCVG85X_s

5. nicole120

nicole120 Rising Star

Currently watching About Face: Supermodels Then & Now and paused it just to post here that everyone here who is remotely interested in fashion / modeling (aka basically all of us) should watch! There's a thread from 2012 dedicated to it but I figured I'd update here. I'm only halfway through but I'm finding it so interesting.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Diamndgrl

Diamndgrl SuperStar

You guys should check out Rotten on Netflix. It’s all about the food industry and the things they hide from the public. If nothing else it will kill your appetite for awhile!

• Like Like x 1
  7. hazyshadeofwinter

hazyshadeofwinter Rising Star

^Seriously. It will. I had to take a time out and come back to it because nausea.

A few others
    A Place at the Table - poverty/food insecurity
    Vegucated - three meat eating cheese loving new yorkers go vegan
    Bite Size - american childhood obesity epidemic
    Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution - series about fat americans
    Soul Food Junkies - more fat americans, this time with a focus southern cooking
    FoodMatters - diet health disease
    Sugar Coated - sugar industry - draws parallels to big tobacco
    Hungry for Change - diet and weightloss, mostly stuff we already know but also a nice reminder

I also watch a mess of crime documentaries... anyone else?

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. hazyshadeofwinter

hazyshadeofwinter Rising Star

This has zero to do with thinsperation and maybe there is a better thread (please direct me) but is anyone watching "Divided States"?

It's an American show but also includes a bit about EDL/Tommy Robinson...

9. Valentina

Valentina Rookie

I binge watched these mini docu series about the weight cut that fighting athletes have to go through to meet their weight category, which means losing 5-8kg in less than 24 hours.
    I find it crazy but I admire the discipline to get to their goal. The first one is about a woman's weight cut and the second one about a man.

PS: here is a whole documentary on Cris Cyborg, her toughness and discipline is beyond this world.

#49 Valentina, Apr 21, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Lucie

Lucie Rising Star

@Valentina Thank you, I found that very interesting :party: (I think I need a geek-emoji...)

• Love Love x 1
  11. scotchandrhinestones

scotchandrhinestones Rising Star

This is fascinating, and for the sake of the health of our SG community, there's a section in Seabiscuit (the book) about the serious cutting/dehydration methods jockeys used to make weight. Fitzsimmons, the most extreme example, lost thirteen pounds in 24 hours. He hung up his saddle shortly afterward, and soon began experiencing the onset of severe arthritis pains that would eventually cripple him so severely that he had to recognize the horses he trained by their feet because he couldn't raise his head high enough to see anything else. He blamed that one terrible day of reducing.

There's a chance it was due to something else, of course. But do take care of yourselves.

12. IcedLatte

IcedLatte Worker Bee

I wasn't able to see an extract at the link to the book above, but the NCED website has a harrowing extract here.

Yet another reason to be thankful that SG has such a zero tolerance approach to advice that endangers the health of members. Other environments (such as the horse racing world, as discussed above) which dedicate themselves to weight loss can become toxic environments that will take loss over wellbeing. I don't know of any other space on the internet besides SG that nips dangerous practices/behaviours in the bud so consistently and quickly.

13. Valentina

Valentina Rookie

I didn't intend to promote any unhealthy behaviour here, of course it is dangerous and I shared it as we should be wise enough to know it is not a good idea. I like how real and raw the videos are showing us the reality without any sugar-coating.
    I found interesting how the end justifies the means in the case of fighting athletes but not in the case of the modeling industry.

14. IcedLatte

IcedLatte Worker Bee

Oh, I wasn’t implying that you were advocating for it! Sorry if that’s what you felt I was saying.

The lengths athletes go to are definitely interesting enough to warrant discussion/analysis, especially on a forum with similar end goals in respect to low weight. Does anyone know of a documentary on the lifestyle that male lightweight rowers lead? My university has a huge rowing presence and the lengths the male lightweights go to is definitely worth unpacking, especially as extreme pressure on men to lose weight doesn’t seem to get the discussion in mainstream media that it could do. I’ve seen hopefuls here drop >80lbs in a term (8 weeks) just so they could trial to make the team.

15. Intrinsicality

Intrinsicality Community Duchess

PSA; Don't do this. You can die.

Death of 18 year old Muay Thai fighter

And there are many deaths that have occurred while trying to make weight.

16. Mandy.Bowie

Mandy.Bowie Grand Dame

I just watched "Before the Flood" and I am devastated.
    I'm so hopeless about our future as humanity. We're damaging earth into a point of no return.

17. moins

moins SuperStar

I'm sure this has been posted but Catwalk (1995) is really great! So much great footage of baby Kate Moss, Christy Turlington, Naomi Campbell, etc! Ah beautiful!

• Like Like x 2
    • Love Love x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1