Creating a personal "uniform"

nbtween

Rookie
Jun 25, 2012
Canada
Has anyone tried this? I've been dabbling with the "uniform" concept since discovering that Steve Jobs and a few other executives did this to simplify their life. As fall/winter is approaching this has become trickier for me. I've been hoping to switch from jeans to skirts. The challenge I've faced is how to choose one skirt that is classic enough to pull off every day.

Would love suggestions of some comfortable and classic basics (that are lovely) that can be worn daily.

Reactions: 1 user
Have you heard of capsule wardrobes? Sounds a lot like what you're describing, but with a bit more leniency as you're allowed more than just one outfit.

As for skirts, I have many but find that a simple black skater/circle skirt is the most worn and most adaptable. Simple/neutral colors help a lot with this type of wardrobe as well, as people will remember you wearing a red skirt every day but not think twice about a black one.

I love this concept- I wouldn't want it to be a 'uniform' per se because then it seems too much like a constructed 'image'. However, I've been trying to cut down on my wardrobe and my goal is to have very architecturally interesting pieces in neutral colours. Something kind of Helmut Lang/Club Monaco-inspired.

I begin nearly every outfit with black skinny jeans and (in the winter) black ankle boots. I constantly edit my sweaters and top/blazer combinations and getting dressed is done very quickly. Not sure what to suggest for skirts @nbtween as I rarely wear them.

Have you heard of capsule wardrobes? Sounds a lot like what you're describing, but with a bit more leniency as you're allowed more than just one outfit.

As for skirts, I have many but find that a simple black skater/circle skirt is the most worn and most adaptable. Simple/neutral colors help a lot with this type of wardrobe as well, as people will remember you wearing a red skirt every day but not think twice about a black one.
Yes! This is where I seem to be landing in this: Have a dress I wear 2-3 times a week, A black skirt I wear 2-3 times a week and a pair of pants or two I seem to wear once a week. .. A grey cardigan I'm wearing almost daily and a few different coloured camisoles to go with the skirts and pants.. :)

I begin nearly every outfit with black skinny jeans and (in the winter) black ankle boots. I constantly edit my sweaters and top/blazer combinations and getting dressed is done very quickly. Not sure what to suggest for skirts @nbtween as I rarely wear them.
I love this so much. Wish I was more of a pant person. I just don't feel like wearing them most days. Ironically, in the summer I love them.. I love that look: The black skinny jeans with boots and a blazer!

I love this concept- I wouldn't want it to be a 'uniform' per se because then it seems too much like a constructed 'image'. However, I've been trying to cut down on my wardrobe and my goal is to have very architecturally interesting pieces in neutral colours. Something kind of Helmut Lang/Club Monaco-inspired.
So so so get and appreciate this. I can't get too restricted on what I own as I'm also an actor so need a variety of audition wardrobe options, but love the idea of keeping daily life as simple as possible. I can waste SO much time getting dressed :slutboobs:

I'd rather die than to wear a personal uniform. I have to wear what I feel like when I wake up and love to change accesories every day. The down side is it really is time consuming.

I'd rather die than to wear a personal uniform. I have to wear what I feel like when I wake up and love to change accesories every day. The down side is it really is time consuming.
I get this. For some reason, I seem to prefer sticking with structure. Less to think about in my already crowded mind

I get this. For some reason, I seem to prefer sticking with structure. Less to think about in my already crowded mind
I'm on my phone so it's hard for me to look for and link, but I read an article saying that the bran is trained to make a limited number of decisions in a day (irrespective of their complexity) so having a personal uniform would eliminate some decision-making, allowing the brain to focus on work related decisions.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm on my phone so it's hard for me to look for and link, but I read an article saying that the bran is trained to make a limited number of decisions in a day (irrespective of their complexity) so having a personal uniform would eliminate some decision-making, allowing the brain to focus on work related decisions.

Picking out a unique outfit everyday is definitely too much for me. I put everything into my academic work and having a curated uniform/limited closet saves my creativity for other things. Everyone is different though. :)

Picking out a unique outfit everyday is definitely too much for me. I put everything into my academic work and having a curated uniform/limited closet saves my creativity for other things. Everyone is different though. :)

I consider that I have a uniform but I don't wear identical clothes every day. My clothes are all in the same style so I can pretty much wear anything with anything else (black V-neck, slacks, scarf, heeled boots, messy bun), but there's enough variation (fabric, cut, trimmings) that I can dress up or down or change with the season. I have frocks for going out and they're also within a restricted range of styles but each in different fabrics and designs. I change my looks with accessories if I want a change and I like to do little touches with a belt or scarf to give something new to favourite garments.

I actually love clothes and don't dress this way because I'm not interested; it's because I think I've found a look that works for my body and that allows me to express myself through unusual tailoring and fabrics (I love structured garments and clothes that hang differently, and I like to choose an outfit based on shapes and materials more than colour). I make my own clothes or alter purchases as well to fit my style and I always appreciate details in the way my clothes are constructed. I have a Pinterest of catwalk looks and details that I want to try and replicate with my sewing machine and that helps me develop my wardrobe even when I don't have lots of money for shopping.

Reactions: 3 users
Well, don't think that my outfits are always very ellaborate, sometimes I'll chose jeans and a simple top. My time and creativity has limits too. When I have a less inspired day, I try to compensate with nice shoes, jewerly, different make up. I'm sure you uniform looks just great!

Ooooh I am feeling so inspired by this. I'd like to switch to 100% black and neutrals, maybe with a "pop" of red in an item.

However, I get so scared of wearing my "good" clothes, like I'll wear all my "okay" clothes and save the good ones for some other time that never happens. Anyone else have this problem? I imagine paring things down would force me to wear my good stuff all the time, which is preferable.

Also, to the girls who have a minimalist wardrobe, how often do you find yourself washing clothes/at the dry cleaners? And, do you find that the clothes wear out quicker?

Ooooh I am feeling so inspired by this. I'd like to switch to 100% black and neutrals, maybe with a "pop" of red in an item.

However, I get so scared of wearing my "good" clothes, like I'll wear all my "okay" clothes and save the good ones for some other time that never happens. Anyone else have this problem? I imagine paring things down would force me to wear my good stuff all the time, which is preferable.

Also, to the girls who have a minimalist wardrobe, how often do you find yourself washing clothes/at the dry cleaners? And, do you find that the clothes wear out quicker?
I have this problem. I have some pieces I love and try to keep them new, so I hardly wear them. It's ridiculous, I have a big wardrobe anyway, so the chances of these items to get too used to be wearable are very slim anyway.

This happens to me a lot. It might be better if I didn't work from home but because I'm in a studio in the house all day it seems ridiculous to wear anything too nice, especially because I use ink and paint and often spill stuff all over myself.

What I'm trying to do is build up a wardrobe of nice house clothes that are comfy to work in and that it's not a disaster if I get stains on them, so at the moment I'm wearing tights, over the knee socks and oversized scruffy jumpers a lot. Having a set of similar clothes to wear each day definitely helps speed things up and it's just one less decision to make, I find.

This is how I am with dresses.

As for personal uniform...mine sort of happen accidentally. I go through phases. But generally I end up doing neutrals and a pop of color.

@Eternal Summer do you have a study you're thinking of on this? I've heard theoretical evidence (esp. coming from existential psych, been reading some Frankl) but I don't have any studies that back it up. (Feel free to PM if we're derailing this but I think it's relevant)

Miinimalism is a really inspiring way of living - and thinking! Avoiding decision fatigue is one of many arguments in its favor (thanks for the links, @Eternal Summer ! I need reads like those) and can actually applied to dietary choices (we had a thread about it, if I remember well).

Anyway, back to clothing. My basics are fitted pants, shirts (white ones but also in pastel colours), simple blouses. When the weather gets colder, I just throw on a cardigan or a big sweater. No jewelry, and two pairs of shoes for the cold times.

Even though I love every item I own, I hate wearing the same look over and over again. Does anyone struggle with that? Any tips?

I feel like I'm taking the first steps towards something like this, however, as a retail-working student I don't want to have a uniform of sorts yet simply because I'm not in a professional environment so I like the flexibility my life allows me. I have however had most of my clothes for 2-3+ years, and they're still perfectly appropriate/stylish because of these rules. For the record, everything I own is black, various shades of grey, (not much) white, deep navy blue, and deep foresty green.

My main rule with shopping/things I own is that I basically want to be able to wear anything with everything. Both colour-wise and shape/style. Any sweaters I own have to layer as nicely over a dress as they must work with trousers or a skirt, and every blouse or shirt has to work with trousers/skirts. I like to have shoes that work with everything as well, but also make me feel like everything has been pulled together by them. I find that keeping the versatility with everything I own makes styling myself so easy, layering even easier, and really, if I'm in a hurry, I can grab virtually any two things, throw them on in whatever order I choose, and then leave.

Even things that may not seem like they could go together - cropped turtleneck and a slip dress have proven me wrong. However, by this rule, I get rid of anything that proves itself difficult to style, and if I can't find a way to make it work at any time in a two-week period, it's donated/sold/returned (unless I feel it can have potential with a better pair of jeans). Extra points go to micromini shift dresses/t shirt dresses that double as shirts that I can wear with a midi skirt/skinnies.