• You can now apply for Skinny Gossip membership online. Click here to begin.
  • We are getting a lot more membership applications than we expected. Be patient while we work through the pile. DO NOT submit a second application!!

What item of clothing should every chic girl have?

S

SkinnyMeansPretty

Whether hippy, grunge, minimalistic, retro, I think a pair of wet look leggings :) they go with everything and instantly make you look fashionable.

What Dyou guys think every girl should have?

X

S

shannon5

black skinny jeans
a nice (faux) leather jacket
a nice black v neck sweater
a pair of flats that aren't ballet flats and aren't sneakers

H

Holly

A hat and red lipstick. All you need, really. Then even jeans and a tshirt looks great.

Xsmall

Super Star
Reaction score
i think every girl should have a classic black blazier!
very slimming as well.

S

Scarlet

A pair of skinny jeans, best in black
At least one pair of high heels
A matching colour of shades for every outfit

asuka

Rookie
Reaction score
As someone already said: the Black ( or navy) Blazer is really classy.
- A good, well cut leather jacket (black or light brown)
- Ballet flat with a bit of heals (2 cm)
- Some Fur ( or true looking Faux fur) eather as hat or coat.

H

Hypatia

• The indispensable little black dress--one that packs well is important
  • A good wool coat that goes well with dresses or jeans--I live in a hot climate and I still need one for travel
  • Good underwear-- lays the foundation for every outfit and can make you feel pretty even in a severe suit

S

Selanis

Black high heels( Loubies <3), ballet flats, good fitting white shirt, denim shirt (it makes some outfits go instantly from work to party ;), leather leggins, little white dress, flattering sunglasses, small evening good quality bag, good quality leather everyday bag and few pairs of flattering of jeans.

Allie

Worker Bee
Reaction score
- Black skinny jeans
- Black leather jacket
- Black leather ballet flats (hihi Tory Birch)
- Signature leather purse
- Giant sunglasses
- Perfectly fitted bra and lace panties (either black or nude)
- Black well-fitted blazer
- Discrete diamond stud earrings

Sorry my vegan gals, I'm a firm believer in the polish and quality real leather exudes over faux, don't lambaste me for it please!

Reactions: 1 person

Rhianna

Rising Star
Reaction score
- little black dress
- well fitting bra
- heeled court shoes
- brown leather satchel
- quality skinny jeans

R

RedGlitter

If you have fantastic shoes and jackets/coats you don´t need much more (I´m also for good underwear though ;)).

A pair of leather boots (vegan ones for vegan girls - I´m a hypocrite, I love leather though I´m veggie *hides*) Anyway: One with heels, one without - save money for that or talk to your granddad at christmas or whatever if you´re totally broke - every girl needs a pair of expensive shoes imho ;)

A black blazer that is not looking cheap (not those crumpled, badly sewed ones you can buy at the discounters - go for second hand if you don´t have money and try to find a decent one)

A wool coat if you live in an area that has winter. This depends on your taste. But make sure its wool and well sewed.

A leather jacket. Same here, don´t buy crap and don´t buy too small ones (haha I think this won´t happen to many girls in this place, but I see it a lot and its unflattering).

Its all about good material and cut. Its better to have some decent basics than a ton of clothes that has awful quality. If you can afford tons of high quality clothes - good for you :grin:

Then buy a lipstick that suits you, care for your hair and skin, find a style that fits with who you are and you can´t do much wrong anymore :)

classichic

Super Star
Reaction score
My opinion:

- Black blazer - Make sure you can button it and fits well. It's worth buying a good quality one.
- Skinny jeans (black, blue and grey). Make sure they fit well. If you're tiny get them tailored.
- Basic vest tops (black, grey, white) plain colours. Make sure they're good quality.
- Small stud earrings
- White shirt or blouse
- Flats - Good quality ones be it leather or faux leather, and I don't mean the ones from H&M, they're tacky. I personally prefer suede. Plain colours with a simple bow.
- Flat shoes besides ballerinas, maybe loafers or oxfords.
- Good heels. I prefer stiletto heels in black
- Good quality underwear
- Little black dress (a few other colours is good for the evenings)
- Good watch - A black/brown simple leather strap is good. Or stainless sliver and gold (without colored gemstones and funky face dial etc).
ones.
- If you wear tights make sure they're good quality (a lot of them collect hair and are very cheap looking when you look up close). As soon you get a hole or a ladder in them, chuck em. If you wear skin coloured tights, make sure it matches your skin tone, rather than getting ones with a tan effect (if you insist then tan your face too).
- Simple chic everyday bag and evening bag.
- Boots. I love both flat and stiletto heel boots. Plain, simple and chic. Leather or quality faux leather.
- Dresses that aren't too short (if you're in a workplace etc). Or tops that aren't too revealing. It's a number one rule but you won't believe how many girls I see with short dresses or inappropriate clothing in clinics.

General rule: Keep things simple, plain colours and generally wear a few colours that go well together. It's worth investing in quality pieces.

Agytha

Rising Star
Reaction score
- a well-fitting white shirt that buttons up all that way without "popping" (moreso for bustier ladies).
- a dark coloured blazer: black or navy - or both; different weights for different seasons.
- a warm wool or cashmere coat; dark colours are more eternally stylish but I do love a red or mustard ;) I tend to go for a length that hits mid-thigh.
- leather jacket in a classic style; one in black, one in tan.
- well-fitting jeans in dark denim and black; slightly high-waisted creates a more classic silhouette than low-rise. Find a cut that suits you :)
- skirts: fitted high-waist-knee-length and A-line at mid-thigh, knee and midi length.
- variety of hosiery!
- leather boots: riding, ankle, heeled
- killer stilettos
- large leather tote/carry-all; again, timeless style and one that you can put your life in that goes with everything ;)
- small evening bag
- flattering dress; not too revealing but eternally sensual ;)
- I love a good, classic hat - I love 1920s cloches, 1960s wool floppy hats, little straw hats... They can add a dressy element to an outfit, if used the right way :)
- be well-groomed ;)
- perfume! Complete the outfit with the right kind of lingering scent ;)

(NB: leather can be replaced by faux or other materials, if and when required :))

SatelliteEyes

Worker Bee
Reaction score
A pair of leather boots (vegan ones for vegan girls - I´m a hypocrite, I love leather though I´m veggie *hides*) Anyway: One with heels, one without - save money for that or talk to your granddad at christmas or whatever if you´re totally broke - every girl needs a pair of expensive shoes imho ;)
Yes! I'm poor and frugal as any uni student, and I agree that every girl needs one pair of gorgeous, high quality shoes. If it's an option, one pair of plain-ish heels and one pair of killer, fashion-as-art heels is excellent.

The rest of your post is spot on too (hihi, serial matching-underwear-set hoarder ;)).

Nala

Rookie
Reaction score
I totally have nothing more to add but a nice pair of s strappy sandals
I also invest in (real) leather shoes and bags because the quality is much better. I noticed that my best friend has 3times more clothes than me. But hers are all cheap, and they look like it.

I really want some Louboutines (they are my reward when I reach my UGW), but I also save up for the final payment of my car :hmm:

S

Samira

Good quality skinny jeans
Expensive flats
A black well fitted blazer
A well fitted expensive t-shirt

Silent Night

Grand Dame
Reaction score
Don't know if anyone's put this yet - get a bra that fits and some matching pants. The four boobs look is... unflattering.

B

Babydoll

-A little black dress
-A pair of black ballet flats
-A pair of black pumps
-A bra that fits well
-An investment handbag
-A black blazer
-A pair of dark blue jeans that fit well
-A trench or peacoat
-A black skirt
-A silk scarf with a pattern or color that represents you
-A cashmere sweater
-A pair of dark tights (save your life in winter)
-Pearl/diamond earrings

Pair it with whatever else and it looks good.