Too skinny?

J

Jeannie

I'm not sure if it fits this thread, but I didn't know where else could I put this question... Do you have a "too skinny" limit? Is there a weight too low? Just curious, I definitely have a limit, but it's much lower than other people's. Like I wouldn't want to be under 90 lbs of my 5'4'' height. I'm not even letting myself go into the double digits now because of health issues but thats a whole different story. Thanks for answering!

I think my skinny limit is bmi 15. My height is 5'7.5'' and with that bmi I'd have 45 kg or 99 lbs. Everything under 45 kg is too skinny for my height. I think my perfect weight is 48 kg or 105 lbs.

I think as of right now (meaning it might change as I lose weight lol) my limit would be BMI 16.5

There sure is a limit, but it's not a number. Wasting away both physically and mentally has got nothing to do with being skinny. Unless you're ill thinking "you can never be too rich or too skinny" ;)

i must confess i am not so much into the ultra skinny HF model-look, but i love the athletic-skinny look. i also care a lot about my wellbeing, both mental and physical. when i go to low with calories or restrict myself way too much, i get extremly moody, which i don`t like at all. i guess thats one of the reasons i cannot shed the pounds as easily as i would like to(besides naturally bein a sugar addict :(. some years ago i was like 107 ( i am 5`7) and on my not so tiny frame it looked a bit off. i liked myself most at about 115 with lots of lean muscle, which is my goal weight.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would say someone is too skinny if they lose their period (the longer you lose it, the worse it is). Losing your period often means that your body is lacking essentlal body fat and isn't fit to reproduce, soooo --> estrogen levels plummet, along with your sex drive, and then eventually your bone density. Hello, early osteoporosis.

I personally wouldn't go anything below a bmi of 15 - 16. even if right now I'm not skinny at all (I'm FAT!!), I've been a lot under this limit and it didn't feel or look good anymore

Last edited by a moderator:
I think too skinny depends on frame size. Some people look absolutely gorgeous with an incredibly low bmi but they're normally the ones that can eat whatever they like and stay that size. Others look better much heavier. For instance, my mum is about 5'9 and she looked amazing at about 140lbs which seems pretty chubby but she was doing sport internationally so obviously she wasn't at all. Whereas I'm 5'10 and curvier but on me 140lbs looks kinda chubby but below 130ish looks ok. That said, I don't think anyone can pull off a bmi of below 16 without starting to look at least slightly unhealthy unless they're a ballet dancer. They always look amazing super skinny!

It's individual per person - I have quite a small frame so I think a BMI of around 15 would be okay for me, but not for someone with a larger frame.

I'm not really sure what's my limit. I didn't use to like super model skinny but now I do, though I don't really like if you're so skinny that you can see too many bones, if you know what I mean. I'm kind of short so it's hard to say what would be my limit because I think that for a short person its much harder to look 'skinny enough'. I think that you're definitely too skinny if it affects your health in a bad way. And I think that it's good to have some muscle so you're not all bones.

I would say someone is too skinny if they lose their period (the longer you lose it, the worse it is). Losing your period often means that your body is lacking essentlal body fat and isn't fit to reproduce, soooo --> estrogen levels plummet, along with your sex drive, and then eventually your bone density. Hello, early osteoporosis.

I had a friend, who used to be anorexic at the early age of 13, she had at the lowest point on 5'3'' about 85 pounds and she now has an early stage of osteoporosis and an Autoimune disease :cry: She weights now 120 pounds and is probably healthy, but those diseases will stay for her life :oops:
I lost my period too, for two and a half years :wtf: , but it's back now :grin: and the most interesting thing is, I haven't gained any weight :confused:

My limit is higher.

A BMI of 17 and now lower.

I use Audrey Hepburn as a guideline. Her BMI was 17.2 She was very thin, but no one sent her to a doctor for it. I want to be very thin no doubt, but I don't ever want to be hospitalized. I don't want an intervention of any sorts.

My second favorite thinspo is Vlada but her BMI is around 15. As much as I love her she can look exhausted and weary at times.

My limit would be under 80 lbs (I'm only 4'11.5" so it's not too extreme). That's about a bmi of 16. Even though 7's my favorite number, and I would love to see it on the scale in the tens place, even I have to admit that it's a bit alarming and unhealthy, and would definitely raise suspicions.

i think the line between skinny and too skinny is very important, maybe the most important part of our goals. We don't want to be anorexic, right?
i think the limit is when you start to feel bad. i had the time when i felt really bad, when i weight about 95 lbs with being 5'4 high... i felt the lack of water in my body, i felt weak... bad thing, really.

i think the line between skinny and too skinny is very important, maybe the most important part of our goals. We don't want to be anorexic, right?
i think the limit is when you start to feel bad. i had the time when i felt really bad, when i weight about 95 lbs with being 5'4 high... i felt the lack of water in my body, i felt weak... bad thing, really.

You're right. It all depends on the person. I feel healthy with my weight, but someone would probably feel sick. The only thing which matters is how you feel in your skin

I think the question about where to draw the line between nice-model-skinny and just freaking-anorexic-skinny is one of the hardest, at least for me. Since I was very tiny years ago,gained quite some kilos, but gladly got back again, I find myself in the situation of asking whether I should not listen to my family and friends, who all freak out because of me being so skinny by now...BUT this was the reason I gained years ago, I was really unhealthy-skinny, I admit (38kg at 1, 73cm) but still I gained so much, I couldn't look at pictures of myself, not a single one, because I always found myself fat. By now, I grew a bit taller and lost much weight, and people around me just want to make me eat. I don't know why, I always wanted to be a model, so I thought being as skinny as the tiniest runway-models would make me happy-and it did/does. But I still I am pissed if I put on a kilo although I know at 1,75/45kg it wouldn't ruin my body but probably be a bit healthier (BMI of less than 15...kinda freaks me out sometimes):hmm:
sorry for the long post, it's just one of these bad days when my family is around and having lunch, dinner and so on together is a must and I just feel unhappy. But I hope at least an "insight-view" gives the discussion a fresh touch;)

I would say my limit is about 45 kg (99 lbs)on my 164 cm (5'3) ... I don't want to look sick and, as someone wrote, no intervention or hospitals or so... But my greatest weight was 48 kg (105 lbs). I felt really good, not sick or exausted.

I set my limit to a bmi of 15. At my height, that would be a about 85 lbs. My perfect weight though is 90 lbs.

Yes, definitely, you are right! Sorry for the post - I may have sounded a bit too... not feeling fine at all and concerned about nothing but staying skinny. I think the most important thing is not to let your thoughts of body images and foremost your very own overrule your joy of life- I don't want to end up in hospital either, or die at the age of 30 due to any illness caused by underweight. You just have one life, so rock it, enjoy it, have fun...and if you are lucky to be skinny at the same time, you have the jackpot, I'd say.

I think I wouldn't go under a BMI of 13.It sounds very low, but still I have now a BMI of 15.4 and I can imagine how good I would look at 82 pounds :luv: