• You can now apply for Skinny Gossip membership online. Click here to begin.
  • We are getting a lot more membership applications than we expected. Be patient while we work through the pile. DO NOT submit a second application!!

Toms Canvas Shoes?

classichic

Super Star
What do guys think of Toms? Anyone have them?

I'm thinking of getting them in red but I don't really wear canvas type of shoes, but now that the weather is getting warm and on those casual days maybe. I sometimes find flats (they're like my staple shoes) unwearable for long days.

I'm not sure on these, sometimes I think they look too casual or the type of shoes you'd wear in clinics, guess I could wear them then (I'm a med student) but that would mean getting them in navy or black rather than red. Also, they're getting really popular and I'm not sure if I'd suit them, I've seen a lot of 15/16 year olds wearing them rather than university students.

Anyway, here's a few pics.. let me know yes or no? My sister votes no so I guess I just want reassurance..

Model, Agyness wearing them (not really fond of her)

Keira Knightley

Mila Kunis

A

aelie

I think that while they're not the most attractive shoes, they give a cute and comfy look. I think if you would wear them often, and if you like them, you should get them.

Apple

Rising Star
I had a pair of black canvas ones and got teal cordones for xmas. The canvas ones tend to fall apart pretty easy (mine lasted about 7 months with heavy use, I wore them to work to be walked around in all day) and stretch out a lot. They are also pretty expensive. No, $60 isn't outrageous for a pair of slip ons but it is for the quality. But, you are paying for two pairs of shoes, not one. So I think they are cute for casual days, but I wouldn't pay for a pair myself again. And I do like the red, those are cute.

classichic

Super Star
I had a pair of black canvas ones and got teal cordones for xmas. The canvas ones tend to fall apart pretty easy (mine lasted about 7 months with heavy use, I wore them to work to be walked around in all day) and stretch out a lot. They are also pretty expensive. No, $60 isn't outrageous for a pair of slip ons but it is for the quality. But, you are paying for two pairs of shoes, not one. So I think they are cute for casual days, but I wouldn't pay for a pair myself again. And I do like the red, those are cute.
Thanks Aelie and Leigh. Still unsure on them, not sure if I'd wear them enough :confused:.

S

skylark.rhiannon

I love TOMS!!! Always order small, and they just released a really cute line of ballet flats, check the website. They are super comfy flats...they also have other materials besides canvas if you just don't like that look.

fels

Rookie
I wore mine LOADS, they're so comfy! You might be better off getting a pair of espadrilles in that shape instead though as they're much cheaper, very nearly as comfy, and come in loads of cute colours and patterns.

SatelliteEyes

Worker Bee
I like TOMS and I appreciate their whole "One for One" campaign, but let's face it, I'm a student and hella poor. Urban Outfitters and Omerica have really similar slip-ons for a lot cheaper. And I do like the look of them for casual days :)

F

fatfreefitchick

i got a pair of TOMS wedges and they fell apart really quickly :mad: I like their views and the whole donating thing. They're okay looking, very comfortable. I just don't think theyre well made or good quality but for just everyday stuff I think they work.

H

hannahtd179

Ugly as sin, but I'd buy them for the One for One thing, then pass them off to some hipster

ZeroDiet

SkinnyGossip Royal
I think they're hideous. Too casual and sloppy. Wouldn't be caught dead in them (same goes for uggs, crocs, birkenstock, etc). Get a good pair of leather flats with a thick insole. It looks more professional.

SatelliteEyes

Worker Bee
I think they're hideous. Too casual and sloppy. Wouldn't be caught dead in them (same goes for uggs, crocs, birkenstock, etc). Get a good pair of leather flats with a thick insole. It looks more professional.
Ew, okay, I'm a lover of dressing down (I feel like I stick out too much in dressy clothes, although I love them :() and even I draw the line at Uggs, Crocs, or Birkenstocks :superpuke:

Silent Night

Grand Dame
I would wear these to bum around the house in the summer; not in public.
I also think they will stretch and fade quickly, and I doubt they're worth the money.

If you want something in this style, check out the Office site; they have coloured/patterned espadrilles for £10 (one sale pair are £4!) - I reckon that's about fair money for canvas flats. Debenhams also have super-cheap colourful espadrilles in their sale at the moment, or better quality ones like this:

http://www.debenhams.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prod_10001_10001_58958+2907450209_-1?breadcrumb=Home~Shoes~Women~Flat+shoes

Or for a similar vibe but a bit more durable, maybe mocassins:

http://www.debenhams.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prod_10001_10001_58958+2764850209_-1?breadcrumb=Home~Shoes~Women~Flat+shoes

(I'm actually shocked at how many shoes there are on the Debenhams site, I've never bought shoes there before...)

Or they have a bajillion casual summer slip-ons over here:

http://www.javari.co.uk/s/ref=dp_msr/?node=217067031&nodes=217067031&page=10&sort=shoesbrowserel2&showDesigner=0&clientPageSize=100#__page=1&node=217067031&nodes=217067031&sort=shoesbrowserel2&showDesigner=0&ref=sr_pg_1&pageCode=s

S

SkinnyB

I feel exactly the same way about them and all of the other ones you listed.

They're plain and "average" looking. Definitely not my cup of tea... :meh:

classichic

Super Star
When I first saw them I also thought they were hideous but then I saw a girl and she wore them really well so now I'm thinking I can wear them but the thing is what if I don't pull them off. I admit I do have Uggs and again it's really tricky to pull them off, I rare them on really cold days but it's the kind of shoes that not everyone can wear. Sometimes I think they are absolute awful and why on earth did I spend so much money on them but I wear them because I spent so much money on them. But crocs and bikenstock eww! Thats definite a no no for me.

Thanks to everyone else that replied, I'm still undecided. For the most part I don't like them yet I sorta want them, I know it's strange but I dunno, I'm trying to make myself dress a bit more casual (I'm generally always in smart clothes).

P

Pear

Thanks to everyone else that replied, I'm still undecided. For the most part I don't like them yet I sorta want them, I know it's strange but I dunno, I'm trying to make myself dress a bit more casual (I'm generally always in smart clothes).
I don't like them. There's just something about the shape that's really unattractive to me... I think that if you want to dress down, you should go for ballet flats with a cute print or even a pair of flat sandals if the weather's really good :)

SatelliteEyes

Worker Bee
You girls are inspiring me to step up my game (I actually made a thread asking for tips on how to stop dressing like a bum). So there, you've done good ;)

classichic

Super Star
I've decided not to get them, thank you to all for replying. Instead I'm going for some French Sole flats :).

N

nygiants

TOMS ARE MY LIFE!!! They're so cute, comfortable, and preppy. They look so cute with skinny jeans (one of my inspirations)