Staying with boyfriend's parents for a week - need clothing suggestions!

Apr 20, 2012
I am meeting my boyfriend's mother for the first time this summer (I've met his dad) and it's to be a week long visit at their house. She's very prim and proper, and I'm worried about wearing something inappropriate! Does anyone have any good clothing suggestions? I was thinking about looking at J Crew, Lilly Pulitzer, stores like that. Advice would be appreciated as I am mildly fashion-impaired ;)

I would buy a pretty sundress. The weather is nice and a pretty dress with a cute little cardigan over just looks so innocent and ladylike. Just make sure you don't show too much cleavage or leg. And I would also suggest a pair of low heels.

I wear this kind of thing when I have to go see my boyfriend's family, it always goes over well.

When I think of prim and proper (for his mother), but still cute and fun (for you and your bf) I think of Audrey Hepburn's casual beach attire. Capri pants (or shorts, but considering that you're visiting his mom...) in neutral colors with striped shirts in bright colors and ballerina flats/sandals. I also think of knee-length or an inch higher sundresses in pretty patterns (floral!) and hats and sunglasses. Also, ditch the flip-flops and go for the low wedges or flat sandals. I agree, J. Crew and Lilly Pultizer are your best bets. Also, try to wear classic and basic things like simple solid-colored dresses (in white for day and black for night) but accesorize them with fun accesories (belts, shoes, headbands, hats, etc in fun colors). Also, a cardigan will help!
Always go for a classic style and never show too much cleavage or leg. Remember, the trick is to look classy but fun! Good luck!

When I think of prim and proper (for his mother), but still cute and fun (for you and your bf) I think of Audrey Hepburn's casual beach attire. Capri pants (or shorts, but considering that you're visiting his mom...) in neutral colors with striped shirts in bright colors and ballerina flats/sandals. I also think of knee-length or an inch higher sundresses in pretty patterns (floral!) and hats and sunglasses. Also, ditch the flip-flops and go for the low wedges or flat sandals. I agree, J. Crew and Lilly Pultizer are your best bets. Also, try to wear classic and basic things like simple solid-colored dresses (in white for day and black for night) but accesorize them with fun accesories (belts, shoes, headbands, hats, etc in fun colors). Also, a cardigan will help!
Always go for a classic style and never show too much cleavage or leg. Remember, the trick is to look classy but fun! Good luck!

Oooh I like that idea! I think I will definitely go with sundresses. Headbands are a great idea too, might look for those :grin: thanks!