Sizing

proseccoprincess

SkinnyGossip Royal
Recently Verified
Aug 20, 2018
Nolita
Thread for comparing sizing of different brands and which items run small or large.

Include your height and/or BMI if relevant- if a size XS in (brand) fits you well but you're 5'11, it might run large for someone who is 5'1. If you're BMI 13.8 and a brand's smallest size is too big for you, that's probably not a case of vanity sizing- you're just skinny. Also feel free to include shoe sizes here; it's not related to being skinny but it is helpful info :lol:

Brands I've noticed run large (for reference I am 5'9 and BMI 17) :
  • Helmut Lang
  • Reformation, particularly dresses and pants
  • Theory (especially the pants- 0 is the smallest size they offer, and it fits me, but it's a loose/relaxed fit.)

Brands that run small by today's standards:
  • All Saints jeans- I think 24 is the smallest size they offer and it is quite tiny- I could barely squeeze into them at my LW, around BMI 16, while I could easily fit into a size 24 in other brands (Reformation size 24 was baggy on me)
  • Jacquemus tops and bras definitely run small, unsure about other items

I am 5ft7 and my BMI is 14.5. I can really only wear size 10 in children’s Levi’s for jeans, so my contribution to brand sizes may not be super helpful. But I wanted to share that I recently discovered that Express has dress pants for work that fit beautifully! I was so excited that I purchased 3 pairs. If you’re smaller than a 0 I also highly suggest looking at designer children clothing. I am not ashamed to say I get pants from Gucci kids

I was debating on whether or not to add myself on, since I’m a bit heavier than I’d like at the moment and nearly as tall as most here so idk how relevant my input will be. Buttttt. Fuck it.
I’m 5”2.5 and BMI 18.5 right now.

I was BMI 21.2 (HW) in April and lost to where I am now in June and I’ve been plateaued completely since August up until very recently - so I’ll likely come back to amend this once I get more movement.

Roland Mouret:
Their size S runs huge. You need an XS minimum. Tops tend to fit better than their dresses and I highly recommend finding a skilled tailor.

So, zero or double zero in numeric factors. I’ve found that even as I am now, XXS is what really fits me in most brands in general.

Black Halo:
So I purchased their dresses in a 0 when I was heavier and they fit fine. Now that I’ve lost weight the sort with the asymmetric chest fit very poorly in my upper body and I get fabric pooling at the back of my neck.

Theory:
Their clothing is true to size. Some of their items (especially dresses) have a more relaxed fit so do bear that in mind. I will say their ribbed fabric is kind of expensive for say a small shirt, but the quality is superb and comfortable and great for travel.

Trousers are also very flattering. I’ve purchased XXS from them only.

Free the People:
Their clothes run huge. And I mean humongous. Even at my HW I looked like I was swimming in them. If you’re to purchase from them just bear that in mind. As far as sweaters and shirts go. The tight clubbing, style body dresses are the only things that fit appropriately that I’ve found from them. And frankly, they’re cheap looking. You can get a nice Narciso Rodriguez I’m the same style. Waste of money.

A size S is definitely the equivalent of a 6. Probably why I didn’t think I had such a problem in the beginning, so bear that in mind when you’re choosing clothes. Sizing is such a mindfuck.

Bcbgmaxazria:
I will say, their clothes are made in China so that makes me a little judgey when i probably shouldn’t be. But, a dress by them not fitting me properly was the realisation I’d gotten far too heavy than was acceptable or comfortable. It wouldn’t zip at my back, so I’d say their dresses run smaller around the chest - which yay for us.

Tops are super flattering, but if you aren’t busty and don’t want a nip slip I’d invest in some fashion tape. XXS and zero are the two sizes I’ve purchased from them.

Oscar De La Renta:
Their 0 is definitely a 0. Though the dress I have isn’t so recent, so they may of altered their sizing criteria, but it’s incredibly tight all over. Definitely not intended for eating lol, just looking pretty. So I’d say it runs small. Incredibly small by American standards.

Gucci:
I only have experience with their dresses in an American size 0. They’re incredibly stretchy if made from a blend of wool and even accommodated me at my heaviest. So I would say they run on the larger end for sure. As I said previously, find yourself a brilliant tailor and be prepared to invest.

Versace:
Their tops run huge. A size two had me swimming even at my HW. I will say their jeans on the other hand are incredibly tight. Squeezing into a 24 at my HW was a workout.

Reformation:
I know someone mentioned this brand already, but I’ll bring up my own experiences too.

The XXS still runs big on me as I am now along the chest area especially. The dresses are incredibly long unless stated to be petite. So, be prepared to hem if you’re shorter or close to my height if you don’t look like a Mormon.

Cartier:
This is a note about watches. Especially for us smaller wristed ladies. Steer away from anything unisex even if it was the technically smallest size face they carry if you don’t care for the bulky look. The watch I have took me some getting used to and I wear it for the nostalgia it brings me but I’m waiting to invest on another.

Trousers are also very flattering. I’ve purchased XXS from them only.
I’ve only seen Theory pants sized numerically, where 0 is the smallest size. I have a few pairs of their size 0 wool trousers and they fit me well or loosely, but I feel like someone who is 5’9 and not THAT skinny shouldn’t be wearing the smallest size a brand offers.. I can’t imagine anyone shorter with the same/lower BMI wearing them

I’ve only seen Theory pants sized numerically, where 0 is the smallest size. I have a few pairs of their size 0 wool trousers and they fit me well or loosely, but I feel like someone who is 5’9 and not THAT skinny shouldn’t be wearing the smallest size a brand offers.. I can’t imagine anyone shorter with the same/lower BMI wearing them

I meant XXS as far as the shirts/sweaters go, I wasn’t specific, entirely my bad. 😅. I tend to interchange things in my head and it doesn’t translate well when I’m writing.

I’ve yet to try the wool trousers specifically (it doesn’t get cold enough where I am to justify them), the ones I have are polyester/spandex - those fit rather comfortably and I also have the linen kind, but those are more breezy than anything else that I don’t particularly care for the look of.

I will say, length is obviously irksome but with the more form-fitting ones it doesn’t pose as eminent of a problem if you can’t get to a tailor right away. But I do agree, just because you can fit into something doesn’t mean you should pack yourself in like a sausage in a case - that’s the biggest revelation a lot of people have yet to have. It’s what catapulted me from stress eating myself to death.

I grasp what you mean to an extent, I tend to favour dresses and skirts as opposed to pants, so forgive me if I sound a little dense at any time.

While I no longer have to squeeze into anything, I’m still so far off.

In my case, or so I’ve found the few times I’ve purchased trousers, jeans, whatever. I have to really play it by ear and not rely on any specific brand but the pants themselves and find the right silhouette for them and/or top to go with it. And certain styles just won’t suit me, no matter how high my shoes are (though it will help some).

I need to invest belts for work, but the stubborn part of me doesn’t want to since the company won’t reimburse. But I will say it certainly helps as well.

Then you also run the risk of looking like you stole your mum’s clothing in my case, so even if I could afford to do baggier looks, I’ll only do a slight bootcut if anything. Military style pants are an unfortunate no.

At the end of the day, you can make any pair of trousers or clothing suitable, with adequate tailoring if you truly want to wear it. But certain things just aren’t flattering and worth the investment. Takes more weeding out to figure that out in my case.

Anyways. I’m sorry for responding to you with this giant blurb, feel free to disregard. I talk too much. 🥲

I’ve had similar experiences with Reformation dresses (haven’t tried their pants) and Theory (but only in North America). For reference, I’m 5’3 and my BMI is 16.7. I wore a size 00 in Theory dress pants when I was about 20 lbs heavier than I am now, and even then they were a bit big in the waist. I have a couple items from Theory that I got in Japan that fit much more true to size though, despite them ostensibly being equivalent to a US 00.

Other brands that I’ve noticed run large:
  • Paige - the size 23 fits pretty well everywhere except the waist, which I usually get taken in an inch or two. This is by far my favourite brand for jeans though because they are so comfortable and last forever, so I’d just size down in their skinny jeans if you can since there’s so much stretch in the legs anyways.
  • Sandro
  • Bardot
  • Atoir - I can’t say if this brand runs larger than their size chart indicates it should, but I can say the XS seems about an inch or two bigger than a typical XS would be, both according to their size chart and the actual items themselves.

True to size:
  • Rag & Bone - I’ve only ever tried their low-rise jeans so I can’t speak to how the waist fits, but the Rag & Bone jeans I have in a 23 are probably the smallest pants I own.
  • Victoria Beckham
  • Burberry
  • Ted Baker - the dresses in particular also seem very consistent in their sizing from style to style.

It depends:
  • Aritzia - love the size inclusivity at the smaller end (I believe they go down to 3XS in some items), but I have purchased two of the exact same item in the exact same size but different colours before and noticed that they fit like two different sizes. I measured a difference of nearly 1.5 inches in the waist of two of the same style and size skirts I have from there. It feels like they’re pretty loose with their tolerance limits, so if you think an inch or two would make a difference in the size you wear, I’d definitely try to buy in-store only.