Rent the Runway

Discussion in 'Clothes' started by bougainvilleas, Apr 1, 2017.

1. bougainvilleas

bougainvilleas Rising Star

Wondering if any of you ladies have experience with RTR, and especially their new subscription service Rent the Runway Unlimited ($139/month). I've been considering trying to it out -- it lets you take out three items at one time but exchange them for new ones as many times as you want.

Pros: lots of variety in my wardrobe, and some pretty lovely pieces in the catalog. Cons: mailing hassle, and no guarantee of size availability? Ack. Any advice would be appreciated! Really looking for new style inspiration this spring <3

2. Silent Night

Silent Night SkinnyGossip Royal

I've never heard of it before, but since you can cancel the subscription at any time there doesn't seem to be any risk in signing up; you can just try it out for a few months and see whether it's good value for you. It looks like a great way of a) accessing garments that you only want to wear once/a few times and b) trying out pieces to decide whether you want to purchase them for your wardrobe.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. gracilis

gracilis Rising Star

Never done it, but I agree with @Silent Night on giving it a go if the idea excites you!

While there's a good variety, the items trend quite effeminate.

I'm like one of those old fairytale dragons that hoard nice things just to have and look at, like actively not wearing items to keep them pristine, so swapping out clothes continuously is not appealing to me personally. Also, I'm a bit irrationally germaphobic when it comes to other people in my fabrics...:oops:

I can see if you have a number of major events a month though and ought to wear a new piece each event this service would be grand! :flower:

4. bougainvilleas

bougainvilleas Rising Star

Thank you guys for the encouragement @Silent Night and @gracilis! I'm going to try the monthly Unlimited program as soon as I hit my gw, ~5-10 lbs away ;) Will be sure to report back.

• Like Like x 1
  5. curlycue

curlycue SuperStar

I've tried it for event-driven clothing that I don't want to own (i.e. a fundraiser I don't feel like buying a new formal for, a bachelorette party where the hostess wants everyone in sequins, a random theme party, etc.). For that, it's worked great - easy shipping to and from, clothes in good condition and fit. I haven't done Unlimited because personally, I can't justify the cost ($1600/yr) for the benefit (new designer clothes constantly).