Only Lovers Left Alive

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Remedios, Feb 23, 2014.

1. Remedios

Remedios Rising Star

[​IMG]

I just saw this little gem of a film yesterday... sexy, stylish and irresistibly rock 'n roll. It's definitely one of those films where style wins over substance (although they incorporate science and cultural themes into the dialog), but very much worth seeing for the constant display of gorgeously deconstructed environments, eccentric and elegant characters, and the smooth, cool atmosphere that it projects.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The soundtrack is pretty good, as well.

Has anyone seen it yet?

2. Coffee_Girl

Coffee_Girl Grand Dame

Not yet but I plan to :)
    I love both Jim Jarmusch and Tilda, so I can't wait.

3. Remedios

Remedios Rising Star

I think you will love it, then! I was charmed by Tilda's character in this one, also, they won me over with all the rock 'n roll vibe and great music, ha ha! :cool:

4. Arya

Arya Worker Bee

Oh, I loved everything about this movie. The cinematography is fabulous, the looks, the characters and last but not least the music. And the actors. Films like these are great pieces of art. I can't wait to buy the soundtrack.

5. Coffee_Girl

Coffee_Girl Grand Dame

Oh, I did love it :D

6. ckarla

ckarla Worker Bee

I've seen it. It's amazing. The filmography is great.
    Also i'm a huge tom hiddleston fan so I didn't mind his cold blooded and bare-chested hotness, either.

7. sylphe

sylphe Rising Star

Ugh just watched it, I can't even deal with how unglamorous and mundane my life is in comparison.
    Tilda :luv:
    [​IMG]

8. sabine

sabine VIP - Insider
    VIP

Oh man, I'm dying to see this!! I've been watching the trailer obsessively.

9. Scratch

Scratch Rising Star

Is it still on at the cinema? I thought I'd missed it but would be thrilled if I haven't as really want to see it and it's one of those that would be best in the cinema.

10. sylphe

sylphe Rising Star

I don't think it was ever widely distributed in theaters--at least not where I live--and it's probably gone from those that did have it. But I downloaded it :oops: I know, independent filmmakers are the ones I should be supporting most of all, but torrenting is the only way I can get access to indie stuff. Maybe check a large, incredibly well stocked library?

11. Scratch

Scratch Rising Star

Hopefully it'll be out on netflix soon in that case :)

12. perkybones

perkybones Rising Star

Not where i love... ughh

13. perkybones

perkybones Rising Star

14. Delirium

Delirium Grand Dame

I watched this a while back (mainly because I love both Tilda and Tom), and I really enjoyed it. It's very dark, and maybe a bit too slow for some people, but it's definitely worth a watch. The visual aspects are amazing.

15. ForeverDirtx

ForeverDirtx Rising Star

I just squealed out loud with delight and hung up on my phone call when I saw this thread so I could fangirl a bit. This is probably my favourite movie ever right now! I ADORE the soundtrack (especially funnel of love and the taste of blood).

I also love its not set up like a conventional movie where you have the really basic set up of the beginning, the good part, the big drama where everything goes wrong, etc. It just kinda goes through their lives in such a casual but interesting way. I adore Eve's outlook on things, and the whole movie made me desperate for immortality. Watching her read through all of those books.. you could learn infinite things, you'd have all the time in the world to read and and dance and enjoy yourself, oooh. *swoon* :luv:

I just love everything about it. I also thought it was enjoyable that not ever is the word "vampire" mentioned. Everything is very subtle, you know?

Its all so artistic and stylish and has some beautiful scenes. And I know the guy who made it purposefully left so many little mysterious things about them and didn't explain anything that wouldn't be talked about normally, but I literally want like 20 movies based on their story, I wish I knew every detail of it haha~

I could go on for dayd I'm so sorry.:')

16. BellaNicole

BellaNicole Rising Star

Why have I never heard about this? Now I have to gt my hands on it!

• Like Like x 1
  17. Helen

Helen Grand Dame

I can't get enought of it!

I've downloaded the film yesterday, it's amazing :luv:

18. Delirium

Delirium Grand Dame

Funnel of Love (the faster Wanda Jackson version) has been one of my favourite songs for years, and I love the slowed down version as well. I was really surprised when I saw the trailer, because they used that song. I didn't think many people knew of it. Turns out it's better known than I thought.

19. sydvicious

sydvicious Worker Bee

oooo! my friend sent me a dvd of this for xmas and i have yet to get round to watching it--excited to read such positive reviews from people whose tastes resonate with mine ^.^