Olivier Lapidus Joins Lanvin Amid Plans to Make Brand ‘A French Michael Kors’

elle_w00ds

SkinnyGossip Royal
Jun 16, 2017
Business of Fashion reports that Bouchra Jarrar will be succeeded by Olivier Lapidus as creative director of Lanvin. The fashion house will also move its strategic headquarters from Paris' Boissy d'Anglais, where it was founded by Jeanne Lanvin in 1889, to the more suburban Levallois area. [https://www.businessoffashion.com/a...mid-plans-to-make-brand-a-french-michael-kors]

Lapidus will show his first collection in the upcoming fashion week. As to his vision for France’s oldest continuously operating fashion house, Lapidus observed, «My DNA is couture. I see the value in Jeanne Lanvin; I want to speak to the person she is and mine her DNA. I want to explore techniques and detail and give the brand meaning. We must get back to the fundamentals. There’s a story to tell at Lanvin. In all modesty, I’d like to say that I’m going to do Jeanne by the book.» That his 82-year-old mother is also named Jeanne, he said, adds to the emotional aspect of the task ahead. [http://www.vogue.co.uk/article/lanvin-olivier-lapidus-artistic-director]

What do you girls think? If Lapidus stays true to his word, I look forward to seeing some Quattrocento blue on the catwalk in September, although I find it really hard to reconcile honoring Jeanne Lanvin with a strategy emulating Michael Kors.

A taste of Lapidus' previous work... I smell disaster.

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 83
  • logo-2.jpg
    logo-2.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 81
  • logo.jpg
    logo.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 79
  • pronuptia1-chic.jpg
    pronuptia1-chic.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 78
  • Screen Shot 2017-07-11 at 14.03.54.png
    Screen Shot 2017-07-11 at 14.03.54.png
    166.1 KB · Views: 80
  • Screen Shot 2017-07-11 at 14.04.07.png
    Screen Shot 2017-07-11 at 14.04.07.png
    208.9 KB · Views: 76
I don't know how new of a direction this is for them, really. They were passed back from public to private after being owned by L'Oreal and then there was the collaboration with H&M several years ago, Michelle Obama wearing their sneakers...I think they've wanted to be high-end commercial for a while but now they're saying it out loud.

Regardless, it's sad that the oldest fashion shop in France wants to be like one of the new, most yawn-worthy/unoriginal brands in the U.S.

20160211_124938_badhgda_sm.jpg