Jane Leeves

EmilyEden

Rookie
Mar 25, 2013
London
I'm not sure how well known Jane is worldwide (probably not very), she's an actress best known for playing Daphne in 'Frasier' (a show i enjoyed) in the 90s, and is now in the Tv Land sitcom 'Hot in Cleveland' with Betty White (not so much my cup of tea). She has aged very well though - I think she looks great for almost 53, and has kept her slim figure. She was a ballet dancer when she was younger, she had a thyroid problem and had to have it removed so I don't think she has to work very hard to stay in shape, she's also 6 ft tall.
in the 90s
2077193394_9e4b72b01a_o.jpg

today
jane_leeves_2010_06_15.jpg

jane-leeves_85607.jpg

demonstrating some of her dancing skills...
0fd245e8b31a441496f6281b96cebc45.jpg

25_hot_in_cleveland_s1_betty_white_valerie_bertinelli.jpg

Oh my, I had no idea she was so tall! She looks like such a vixin the the first picture you posted, you at the guy turned round to stare at her!
A pleasure to be acquainted with a fellow fan of Frasier, that show had so many good lines. My favourite characters were Eddie and Martin.

Oh my, I had no idea she was so tall! She looks like such a vixin the the first picture you posted, you at the guy turned round to stare at her!
A pleasure to be acquainted with a fellow fan of Frasier, that show had so many good lines. My favourite characters were Eddie and Martin.

That's great, I absolutely love the show, there was some great acting on there. I think she is a great example of someone who has aged gracefully and maintained their figure, something I hope one day to do. I have many women in my family who let their figures go terribly as they aged and I'm always pleased to see examples of how to maintain it well. :)

she had a thyroid problem and had to have it removed so I don't think she has to work very hard to stay in shape.

On the contrary, people with no thyroid have to work very hard to keep in shape, weight gain is a major problem in people with no thyroid or thyroids that no longer function (due to radiation/infections/etc..).

So while I think she'd be thinspo under normal circumstances, it's even more inspiring that she keeps so thin and fit without a functioning thyroid! :highfive: Great post!

@amincer
This is sometimed the case but jane had an overactive thyroid, making her lean .

Yrs, but the only way to treat an over active thyroid is to remove it. Therefore, it is like the worst case of under active thyroid. Of course after the removal, the patients are put on meds, because without a thyroid, you basically die.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yrs, but the only way to treat an over active thyroid is to remove it. Therefore, it is like the worst case of under active thyroid. Of course after the removal, the patients are put on meds, because without a thyroid, you basically die.

Exactly. The unfortunate thing is that after removal, and even with meds, weight gain becomes much easier than weight loss. Especially if you are used to eating a lot and not gaining due to your over-active thyroid.

@cokediet @amincer going by what jane said herself that's not the case for her. She said ''don't have to worry about diet, I had to have my thyroid out a few years back,I take synthyroid and have to make sure I eat enough to maintain my weight. I'm a meat and potatoes girl'

My dads family has a history of thyroid problems and my aunt had her's removed. She was always very thin and was worried that the op would make her gain. She was told it can go either way, though medication is available. Luckily for her she infact found she stayed thin with ease as before. :)

@cokediet @amincer going by what jane said herself that's not the case for her. She said ''don't have to worry about diet, I had to have my thyroid out a few years back,I take synthyroid and have to make sure I eat enough to maintain my weight. I'm a meat and potatoes girl'

My dads family has a history of thyroid problems and my aunt had her's removed. She was always very thin and was worried that the op would make her gain. She was told it can go either way, though medication is available. Luckily for her she infact found she stayed thin with ease as before. :)

Yes, but that is only because they put you on enough meds to keep you hyper. It's not like your body does it on it's own. I have hypothyroidism and I take Synthroid and I am slightly hyper, so if I wanted to, I could certainly eat a lot and gain very little (compared to before the meds).

@cokediet

ah yes, I understand it's the medication that does it, I thought you were saying that she must have had to work out/ diet insanely as she has no thyroid, when she was quoted as saying the medication meant she didn't have to watch her diet as much. I understand you now:)
Kudos for you for sticking with skinniness despite hypothyroidism!, my grandmother had a thyroid nodule which caused weight gain and felt utterly hopeless until she discovered what the problem was.
thyroid confusion aside, I think it's great to see someone age gracefully and keep active unlike many celebrities these days.