Fashion Chit-Chat

Discussion in 'Fashion Industry' started by sore, Jul 26, 2015.

1. sore

sore Community Duchess

Hi skinnies,

since many of us are interested in the fashion industry, I thought we could have a thread where we talk about fashion news that are not weight-related. Who got which campaign? Is Meisel back with Vogue Italia for good? Is Anna Ewers unstoppable? You get what I mean.

I'll just start and hope you gurls are interested in jumping in!

Julia Stegner got Chloé (alongside Anja)! How cool is that? I hope she'll be having a major post-baby high fashion comeback. She has been doing commercial stuff for a while again now, but nothing really interesting. Excited!

Also, have you heard about Kris Gottschalk?

http://media.style.com/image/slideshows/trends/industry/2015/07-july/kris-g/695/2000/00001Kris-G.jpg[​IMG]

She's been modeling for quite a while, but had to shave her hair after an accident. She's not my type personally, but I think her edge is very intriguing. She just rocked the menswear shows in New York and I smell big things for her come September.

Discuss!

• Like Like x 2
  2. Ardeur

Ardeur Rising Star

Definitely a great thread idea! Looking forward to it

3. MickeyMouse

MickeyMouse Banned
    Banned

BUILDING A CAREER

The key to success as a model, is not to focus on “having” a career, but “building” a career. It is the key to building something with longevity.
    As we launch a new face, in some ways, it’s the easy part. You find, groom, and develop. When it’s time, you launch into the fashion stratosphere & you see what happens. As time goes on, 2 things determine a lot.
    One, they must remain coach able. 20 years into this, we have a pretty keen sense, along with the teams we work with, on the importance of evolving, growing, and in some cases reinventing, to keep the fashion world engaged and inspired.

Two, they must remain adaptable. The one constant in this business is change. The fashion world and its moving parts, move at the sound of light. Strong management has to stay engaged with the response from the powers that be, constantly readjusting and figuring out what the next best move is. They have to jump for the parachute to open. The wind may shift,the direction may change, but that’s the exciting part.
    The building of a career over time is sweet. We love when a model reaches new heights and you can look back at the uncertainty and “not knowing” along the way, and the value of TRUSTING. It makes the victory so much more sweet, and it builds a beautiful & immeasurable bond.

Building a career involves risk. There are times of uncertainty. When a model focuses on having a career and wants to have the reigns in their own hands, rarely will they reach the heights they could have, had they been willing to let the reigns go & give them to their trusted team.

The most successful people I know built a career over time. They went along with the ebb & flow, & kept moving forward, one open door at a time. They didn’t need to bum rush every door at once, or while they were at door one, obsessed with needing to know what was behind door number two, three, & four. They remained present entering door one. “Having” is a state of ownership, “building” is a one day at a time journey, that takes you to heights you never could have achieved. It takes risk, uncertainty, & willingness to adapt & change. Building is a mindset, a way of life. It’s really is where the adventure lies.

http://mothermodelmanagement.com/building-a-career/

• Like Like x 2
  4. clairefhjao

clairefhjao SuperStar

Great thread! We needed one of this kind!

5. MickeyMouse

MickeyMouse Banned
    Banned

Source: Avant's instagram
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  6. clairefhjao

clairefhjao SuperStar

Sorry but I don't get what's happening idk if because I just woke up, if I'm dumb or not native English speaker but could you explain to me the matter?

• Like Like x 1
  7. MickeyMouse

MickeyMouse Banned
    Banned

• Like Like x 4
  8. IcedLatte

IcedLatte Worker Bee

Went looking for a thread to pop this -- here seemed appropriate??

Ralph Rucci went on an interesting rant about Balenciaga on his instagram:

• Like Like x 1
  9. xxAudreyxx

xxAudreyxx Rookie

What else does one expect when these "bespoke " fashion houses are bought and subsumed under corporate conglomerates like LVMH and Kering? I think Balenciaga is owned entirely by Kering. These companies by virtue of being publicly-traded are concerned with annual reports and generating yield (profit) for their investors. In my opinion, it is a disgusting shame to the Balenciaga legacy, as it is to the legacies of Christian Dior among others, but the reality is that these fashion houses have lost every sense of what made them "luxury" in the first place.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Pynchonesque

Pynchonesque Worker Bee

@xxAudreyxx I agree, I think the key part is this: 'everything he did not strive for'.

Where I'm a little two-sided on the point is that I'm unashamedly a Hedi Slimane fan; even though he has his very definitive 'aesthetic' (why did the internet have to spoil the term?), I do believe with Saint Laurent he restored the overlying concept of Yves' work which was - modernisation, progression etc.

Sure, it was all seen before by those of us who've lived in those clothes for a billion years, and the price tag for these not-so-luxe-garments (I believe on the forums there was even quite condemnation of the fabrics) are obscene, but it wasn't so prevalent on the runways.

I like the bleeding of the runways to the street, but I do agree that there's become an overarching 'Kering look' (or perhaps 'feel' is a better term) that I find really quite distasteful. It's the same in the art world at the moment, I could go into that but I'll just end up ranting.

They may as well open a Kering department store with the rate it's going.

..and don't get me started on the beauty lines of so-called 'luxury' brands, I'll need at least ten Žižek GIFs.