Anatomy of a Magazine Cover

Discussion in 'Magazines' started by 71000, May 10, 2013.

1. 71000

71000 SkinnyGossip Royal

Thought some of you would find this interesting :)

part 1

wwd

• Like Like x 3
  2. 71000

71000 SkinnyGossip Royal

part 2
    wwd

3. NewLeaf

NewLeaf Grand Dame

Thank you for sharing this lovely :kiss:

4. Odile

Odile SuperStar

Interesting! I've always been curious about what goes into putting a cover together!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Andrea

Andrea Grand Dame

One of the most interesting articles I've read these days.

OTOH I am not entirely sure if it's good we know so many things from "the inside" about fashion in general. Everything loses it's charm when pulled apart and analysed to the detail. The curiosity is overwhelming sometimes (inherent to human nature), but then you feel a little disappointed and almost "dirty" for taking a peek.

6. sabine

sabine VIP - Insider
    VIP

This is so accurate with regard to celebrities. I recently shot my first celebrity cover, having mostly shot models before, it's pretty frustrating having a rack of incredible garments and not having any say regrading what gets used, especially when the celeb insists on wearing the blandest pieces and leaves some really show stopping looks untouched. It's also weird working around certain things (body parts, poses, angles, facial expressions) to create a shoot that's succinct with how the celebrity's agent demands they be portrayed, It's not bad on the whole, and totally makes sense, but I definitely prefer shooting models where there's a lot more flexibility, a lot less people trying to have their say, and just a generally more fun, and creatively expressive, shoot!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Allie

Allie Grand Dame

This is interesting (and infuriating in a sense too!). I can imagine that some of those pieces on the rack are just out of this world. To see them, let alone wear them, let alone be photographed wearing them would be such a privilege; it's such a shame that they get wasted for the safe choice in so many instances. Not to mention, how often (even as a celebrity) do you get the chance to wear something totally unique and artistic?

I imagine the posing restrictions and creativity restrictions are also more prevalent on commercial as opposed to editorial/high fashion shoots? Which is why a lot of photographers prefer the latter to the former?

I noticed that celebrities who get photographed for magazine shoots tend to fall into one of two categories: 1) they're big (either because they've had long-term exposure like Gwyneth Paltrow or Jennifer Aniston or they are hyped up over an upcoming blockbuster like Kristen Stewart or Jennifer Lawrence). 2) they're "fashion-oriented" (what I mean is they seem to have a genuine love of, and compatibility with, the fashion industry. Someone like Kate Bosworth is a good example in that she doesn't do many high exposure films, but she seems very into fashion/style). Or Alexa Chung and Olivia Palermo let's say.

Are celebrities that fall into 1) the types that tend to be more boring and restrictive, whereas the ones that fall into 2) easier to work with and more likely to take risks? Also, do you think that the maintained relevance of the types of actresses/celebrities in 2) (those who aren't doing anything big but are still present in fashion publications) is because they genuinely love fashion and that readily comes across, or because physically a lot of them tend to be closer to the fashion aesthetic of skinny?