2013 Costume Institute Exhibit : "PUNK: Chaos To Couture"

Discussion in 'Fashion Industry' started by xoxoadore, May 6, 2013.

1. xoxoadore

xoxoadore Worker Bee

vogue.com

WWD 9/13/2012
    metmuseum.org

cont.

2. xoxoadore

xoxoadore Worker Bee

Designers in the exhibition will include Miguel Adrover, Thom Browne, Christopher Bailey (Burberry), Hussein Chalayan, Francisco Costa (Calvin Klein), Christophe Decarnin (Balmain), Ann Demeulemeester, Dior, Domenico Dolce and Stefano Gabbana (Dolce and Gabbana), John Galliano, Nicolas Ghesquière (Balenciaga), Katharine Hamnett, Viktor Horsting and Rolf Snoeren (Viktor & Rolf), Christopher Kane, Rei Kawakubo (Comme des Garçons), Karl Lagerfeld (Chanel), Helmut Lang, Martin Margiela, Malcolm McLaren, Alexander McQueen, Franco Moschino and Rossella Jardini (Moschino), Kate and Laura Mulleavy (Rodarte), Miuccia Prada, Gareth Pugh, Zandra Rhodes, Hedi Slimane (Saint Laurent), Stephen Sprouse, Jun Takahashi (Undercover), Joseph Thimister, Riccardo Tisci (Givenchy), Gianni Versace, Junya Watanabe, Yohji Yamamoto, and Vivienne Westwood.

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

cont.

3. xoxoadore

xoxoadore Worker Bee

nytimes

So I thought I'd post some information and articles about tonight's Met gala!! I am beyond excited to see what's in store and what the guests are willing to bring to the table, I really want them to go all out. So disappointed Galliano won't be attending though, I wish they'd forgive him already. He's in the exhibit and really deserves to attend. Anyways I went to Prada's last year and let me tell you, it's magical! I can't wait to see this one, it seems so promising.

you can see it tonight: HERE

4. 71000

71000 Super Star

trolololo i already knew the exhibition would be shit.

The celebrities who actually dressed up for the theme ended up being my favorites of the night. SJP was easily the best dressed, with honorable mentions going to Miley Cyrus, the Olsens, the Fannings, Sienna Miller, Anja Rubik, Joan Smalls, Anne Hathaway, Donatella Versace (she looked terrible but at least she tried to fit the theme), Gisele Bundchen, Vivienne Westwood (well obviously, since she's one of the pioneers of punk), Hilary Rhoda (although she's an absolutely dreadful interviewer), and Cara Delevingne. Kudos to Madonna for going all out, but she looked like one of those old women that try to dress too young for their age (since she is one of those old women, I guess).

Some people who didn't dress for the theme but still looked good were Rooney Mara, Eddie Redmayne, Rosie HW, Liu Wen, And then there's a long list of people who showed up wearing boring, forgettable dresses, like Anna Wintour, Jennifer Lawrence, Carey Mulligan, Katie Holmes, etc.

Worst dressed of the night goes to Beyonce, with Ashley Greene and Kim Kardashian not too far behind.

I was really disappointed by Gwen wearing Martin Margiela. Both embodied the punk spirit, yet Gwen's outfit ended up being a bore.
    [​IMG]

5. 71000

71000 Super Star

i have a bias towards the ones who actually fit the theme

best dressed:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. 71000

71000 Super Star

worst dressed

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. espressoenthusiast

espressoenthusiast VIP - Model
    VIP

good god Kim K looks awful..and not even in theme either :superpuke: In my opinion, Emma Watson looked much thinner than she has recently in the shots so far

8. 71000

71000 Super Star

eddie redmayne :luv:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Adding Karolina Kurkova to the best dressed list! The only place this dress would work is at a punk-themed exhibit
    [​IMG]

And adding some more to the worst dressed :facepalm:
    (ok they both look amazing here but this is like the POLAR opposite of punk and if it was anyone but anna i would've thought they were trolling or something)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Miss_Skinny

Miss_Skinny Worker Bee

10. oferta

oferta Grand Dame

I knew that this theme would end up looking everybody like idiots.

Being famous doesn't mean you have a sense for fashion.

11. alexandtm

alexandtm Rookie

Beyonce is wearing some House of Dereon fug, right there. Is her mom making her clothes again?

12. curlycue

curlycue Worker Bee

13. BeautifulWay

BeautifulWay Guest

ABBEY! :luv: aw, she looks sweet. I love Sienna, too. Beauties.

I actually really liked Nicole Richie's look
    [​IMG]

Anne Hathaway's boobs were freaking me out :wtf:
    [​IMG]

K-Stew's hair made her look like a block head
    [​IMG]

THIS IS TERRIFYING
    [​IMG]

so is this
    [​IMG]

PROENZA :luv:
    [​IMG]

and Coco... I thought she looked amazing.
    [​IMG]

Overall I'd say so much of the makeup was just terrible... there's a way to do punk without looking like a 50 year old with a smokey eye. Dios Mio.

The fashion was ok - not my favorite. It ticks me off that not everyone embraced the theme. Especially such a broad theme as punk - could have been done better, IMO.

14. xoxoadore

xoxoadore Worker Bee

My favourites:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

And this deserves a special recognition:
    [​IMG]

Worst: I thought Karlie Kloss looked horrible! That dress, make up and hair made her look about 20 years older, such a shame :( Kim K, Anna W., Minka Kelly (looked so big), Ashley Green, Beyoncé, Kate Uptown (barf), Kristen S. and so many others

There are some I missed but I'm tired and they are forgettable. I think a lot of people missed the mark on this one. They think black + studs=punk and most of them just looked more romantic goth than punk. I think Grace expressed pretty well what I was feeling:
    [​IMG]

15. curlycue

curlycue Worker Bee

Didn't love the outfit, but Constance is still looking hot:
    [​IMG]