Your Fashion Icon(s)?

Feb 5, 2012
Good ol' US of A
Hi, I was wondering if any of you girls had women, men, places, people, things, etc. that influence your personal style and that you emulate, intentionally or unintentionally?

To clarify, there is a difference between emulating or being inspired by someone's fashion and loving their fashion. I like Rooney Mara's fashion and Freja's, but I don't dress like either of them, nor would I cause it doesn't suit me.

For me, my style icons are Audrey Hepburn, Sofia Coppola (and her films), and my Grandmother.

Hi, I was wondering if any of you girls had women, men, places, people, things, etc. that influence your personal style and that you emulate, intentionally or unintentionally?

I was thinking about this the other day in terms of how early my preferences to dress the way I do started, and if I could actually pinpoint an initial starting source. I think I'm really pretty much dressing as a slightly more grown up version of what I've always preferred, honestly. I'm not big on color (actually, I avoid wearing color whenever possible, preferring dark neutrals), I don't really go with trends at all, I just want "fits well and is functional" for the most part.

My personal style, however, doesn't seem to be too much like, well...anyone easy to reference. I borrow things that have the right "feel" from a million different sources, and give very little attention to anything outside of my preferences. I don't readily accept trends unless they suit my own way of handling my wardrobe(s). I have four sets of clothing, easily divided in my closet - "everyday clothes", "stage wear", "skating and exercise wear", and "things I only wear if utterly necessary for some god forsaken reason".

Everyday wear for me is black or grey, with maybe 5 pieces that don't fit that spectrum. It's black jeans, plain tees with short or long sleeves (and a few with band logos or such), tank tops, assorted other pants, jackets, hoodies, combat boots or very practical shoes. That's it. Strictly utilitarian. I generally look like someone you don't want to mess around with, but my main aim is efficiency.

Fashion icon: Someone who is as boring as I am, I'm sure.

Stage wear is where I have all my fashion fun. Bust out the leather, PVC, and items with a lot more visual impact to them. Again, the vast majority of it is black, but there's also some items with color mixed in - reds, olive greens, etc. (actually, just those two colors, haha). Lots of things with dramatic shapes or way overboard styling (go look at my thread about stage wear for an idea, haha). Lots of corsets, huge stompy boots, weird looking heels, things with rivets, buckles, lacing, straps. Dark eye makeup.

Fashion icons: Trent Reznor, Rooney Mara around TGWTDT red carpet appearances, industrial music scene, rivetheads, cyberpunk literature, dystopian futurism, goths to a lesser extent.

Skating and exercise wear has the widest variety of colors and styling in my entire wardrobe, as skating dresses have to match the style of the music I am skating, and not just what I feel comfortable in. I estimate that between all of the costuming I've amassed over the years, there are over 1 million rhinestones in this section of my closet (no, not actually joking - my most heavily crystaled dress has over 5,000 stones on it, and I have quite a few of them, lol). Everything is stretchy, much of it is custom made, and there's a lot of variation to all of it. For general exercise, I favor anything that fits very close to my body and moves with me - leggings or shorts, sports bras, tank tops. Most of those are black. There is also a good section of ballet wear, pink tights and all.

Fashion icons: Marina Anissina, Sasha Cohen, Angelika Krylova.

Things I only wear if utterly necessary for some god forsaken reason is the catch-all for the clothing I feel is necessary to own or that I have been forced to acquire, but that I don't feel comfortable in at all. This is things like very nicely tailored suits, bridesmaid dresses collected from years of friends getting married, work-appropriate dresses for annual banquets and/or awkward family events, a pair of jeans that are actually blue in color and not black, and a pair of brown shoes. I also classify bras in this category.

Fashion icons: Dana Scully (suits!), whatever people stick me in saying it looks "nice", normal people who don't dress like monochromatic utilitarian freaks 90% of the time.

I probably have the most cringe-worthy wardrobe here, haha, but I'm happy stuck in my little rut.

Shosanna Dreyfus and Bridget von Hammersmark from Inglourious Basterds.

My mom! She has such sweet style and she lets me borrow her stuff.

My aunt. She's gone now, but when she was a teenager (in the 50s and early 60s) she was in the greaser type subculture and she had such amazing style.

:lol: I'm an infusion of:

Marianne Faithfull
Brigitte Bardot
Edie Sedgwick
Priscilla Presley
Alex Turner (yes a man)
Veronica Lake
Freja and Frida

I work and play in very conservative Southern circles, so most of my icons are a little more buttoned up, but still have a bit of fun. Just classic, American sportswear.

Lauren Bush
220px-Lauren_Bush_2012_Shankbone.JPG

Kate Middleton
Kate-Middleton-Fashion-2011-2012.jpg

Oliva Palermo
th

Carolina Herrera
Carolina+Herrera+2012+CFDA+Awards+Nominee+643eiJJFH_kl.jpg

I work and play in very conservative Southern circles, so most of my icons are a little more buttoned up, but still have a bit of fun. Just classic, American sportswear.

I feel you there. I love reading style blogs, but a lot of times what they wear to work would not fly in the legal industry. So, Kate Middleton it is!