Working at Condé Nast

bingeonvogue

Deputy Head Bitch
Staff member
Recently Verified
Feb 1, 2015
Hi girls - not sure if this is the right place to post this, feel free to delete if it's inappropriate

I've realized in the last year that I really want to work in the magazine/publishing industry. Ideally I would love to be a top editor at Vogue or W or some similar Condé Nast publication. I love writing and editing, and I know I want to work at a job that incorporates different aspects of my passions and strengths. I want to write but I love the glamour of the publishing industry (although I am, of course, aware that it's much more glamorized in movies etc. and the reality would be much more gritty). Does anyone have any tips on how I should start going about preparing for this and what kind of internships I should apply for..? (I'm so sad that Condé Nast cut its intern program)

Reactions: 3 users
I don't know much about fashion industry magazines specifically but if you want to get into publishing via writing it can help to have samples of work to hand which show your ability to write editorials.

I've written a few pieces for some small, not terribly well known design magazines (usually tutorials) and I had to show some samples of published work (luckily I'd previously written some advertorials for a company I worked for years ago, which really brought home to me how useful it is to have samples) and had to put together a proposal for some articles when I originally submitted to the first magazine.

I'd start by looking at a number of publications in the area that interests you, most websites have a section with submission guidelines and there's an article on the subject here:

http://www.writeraccess.com/blog/top-fashion-magazines-for-freelance-fashion-writers/

Finally, look at a number of magazines for entry level jobs and internships as many people start at one magazine and move to a different one once they've gained experience and proved themselves, so it's probably worth looking at a few different publications. I know someone who started working at a photography magazine, which was not her area of interest at all, but did well enough to then apply for and win a job working for a fine art magazine.

I realise my answer is not based on experience of the magazines you are interested in, and that also, as a freelancer, I'm talking about a slightly different type of employment, but I wanted to share what I knew because what you're aiming for is a completely achievable ambition and I've always found it surprising what information proves helpful to people in the long run. For example, if you were unable to secure a position in time for your visa, you could still work on submitting freelance ideas to a number of publications as a way of gaining experience for a the future.

best of luck!

Reactions: 1 user
I realise my answer is not based on experience of the magazines you are interested in, and that also, as a freelancer, I'm talking about a slightly different type of employment, but I wanted to share what I knew because what you're aiming for is a completely achievable ambition and I've always found it surprising what information proves helpful to people in the long run. For example, if you were unable to secure a position in time for your visa, you could still work on submitting freelance ideas to a number of publications as a way of gaining experience for a the future.

Thank you! :) Definitely checking the link out and you've given me lots to think about.

There are a lot of helpful things on the fashion spot forum! I'm going to link you some threads: http://forums.thefashionspot.com/f9...ps-work-experience-placements-2-a-117055.html http://forums.thefashionspot.com/f9...career-goals-see-post-1-directions-58781.html http://forums.thefashionspot.com/f90/cond-nast-discontinuing-internship-program-242841.html http://forums.thefashionspot.com/f90/all-about-resumes-cvs-cover-letters-jobs-internships-30492.html
Usually attending a major fashion institute (they have short summer courses too, If i'm not wrong) can be extremely helpful for making the right connections.

I don't have any insider info on journalism or the fashion industry, but I'm willing to bet that there are opportunities for you to gain experience at your university.

I know that in academia, it's really important to join a lab and get research experience as an undergraduate, and there are always professors looking for undergrads to help out with their research (you can even get course credit for working a lab). There might be similar opportunities in the journalism department, with professors who put out zines or other publications. Snoop around your university's website or approach your professors; they might know of something you can start on now. The experience--and a good letter of recommendation--would most likely give you the upper hand when you apply for competitive internships during your gap year.

How old are you? I can't say much in terms of the academic/career steps you'll need to take, socially however, you need to get yourself as involved in the industry you hope to integrate into as you can possibly manage, make friends, go the parties, do favours for the people you hope to work for - prestigious internships will generally go to people that are already recognised and appreciated. Obviously you need talent and the skills - which it sounds as though you have, but this industry is as much of a members club as it is a group of talented, highly trained individuals. look for internships at younger, cooler, magazines for now and really get to know everyone you interact with there - those are the places W and Vogue will source their staff from in later years, plus countless people you work with will transition between magazines over time, if you make a good enough impression, they'll surely put in a good word for you when they do.

^ i would really like to know about this too, I'm also at university and 21, i been working with some magazines but as a freelance and really want to start working on W, Interview or i-D

^ i would really like to know about this too, I'm also at university and 21, i been working with some magazines but as a freelance and really want to start working on W, Interview or i-D
What did you do as a freelance ?

I know someone who works (paid role) at Vogue right with Miss W and is in her early 20s (I don't want to say her exact age for fear of identifying her). She went to a very prestigious college studying something totally unrelated to Fashion.
She had basically zero fashion experience.

Luck also plays a HUGE part.

I have found people either have:
1) extensive experience, social networking (worked their way up)
OR
2) are exceptionally academically and professionally successful in unrelated fields (impress via intelligence and sideways movement) - these people are usually much younger.

Good luck!

I wish i was at a prestigious university. mine sucks, we dont have chairs to seat, not tables, we cant have art history classes because the techology is stolen so classes are interrupted, plus they are stolen from the people who work on the univ.
We also used to have two headmasters becaude they fought for the position and they both wanted to be part of the univ, so we were in a place of shit, the other day a piece of the roof almost felt on one of the students head (she could have died) and after all this its still called a university.
2 years ago a man with a gun came in, Im on a position where i dont care finishing univ i just want to get a job and live this fucking city.
Fashion has been my dream since im 4 years old. I just wish an oportunity comes along so i can leave and hope my parents support me on buying an studio wherever it is or if not sharing it with someone idc right now i just want to persume my dreams.
I believe in art field you dont need a diploma although i have excellent grades im willing to give that up for my dream, i feel my time is now and i should leave my country but i dont have much money saved so i think i will need a roo mate if my aprent dont approve, which i dont care anymore

Last edited:
I just want to chime in with my $0.02 to take up any opportunity that comes your way! College is a really cool place where you can try many, many different things. I'd recommend writing for as many groups as possible, dabbling in different areas. Is there any area in your school that you could take on a leadership role? Or an area where you think your school may be lacking, and you can add to it? My school had a bunch of groups and networks to join; they held events to network, workshops on how to apply/interview for jobs, etc.. As far as internships go, have you sat down with your career development folks? I didn't take full advantage of my school's opportunities until my last two years and I was amazed by all the had to offer, definitely wished I had checked it out sooner!

Rha
I truly hope your dreams come true in some capacity. I genuinely mean that.
thank you very much! I wish that could ever happen but my univ is a disaster i seriously cant believe how i study there there are rats, dirt, wall broken and as i said before the roof almost felt into a friends head.
Thats why i took the decision i want to leave and persume my dream on the fashion industry because it has always been my dream, so im just trying to make the connections

I believe in art field you dont need a diploma although i have excellent grades im willing to give that up for my dream, i feel my time is now and i should leave my country but i dont have much money saved so i think i will need a roo mate if my aprent dont approve, which i dont care anymore

You are completely correct about this. I have a degree in an unrelated field to the one I now work in, as do numerous people I know who are significantly more successful than I am in design.

What matters is that you are capable, able to network and promote yourself well and are persistent. A friend told me years ago that the people who succeed in creative professions are usually the ones who keep trying and to a certain extent, I think he was right.

Seconding everyone saying that a lot of it comes down to networking and finding opportunities to build a portfolio of work and show people your abilities.

Another thing to think about is that the publishing industry--especially magazines--has changed a lot over the past ten to fifteen years. There's so much content for free online, so many people who are happy to write for free or very little, fewer people subscribing to or buying print, and magazines are still trying to figure out how to make decent money off their websites. So rates for writers in general are pretty low, and someone just starting out would probably be paid an honorarium rather real money. An entry-level job at a magazine would pay 30-50% less than entry-level jobs in growing industries--which is tough when most fashion publications are based in expensive cities.

Some people are passionate enough about the work that none of that matters to them, or they're talented enough to move up the ladder pretty quickly. But more than a few give it a try for a few years, then start wondering "Why am I working so hard for so little?" and end up trying to transition into related industries like PR, marketing, or corporate communications...or get married and drop out all together.

If you're really passionate about it, for sure go after it and see what happens; you don't want to be wondering "what if?" years later. Work hard, network like crazy, and keep your ears open for opportunities...but also keep your mind open to opportunities in other industries and keep your resume diverse in case you decide later to transition into something else. I've seen some very sad, bitter people in their late thirties and forties who didn't have the talent/opportunities to move up, stuck it out too long, and got trapped in jobs that they no longer enjoy and that pay badly.

Reviving this very dead thread because I've recently realised that my dream would be to work for a fashion magazine. I realise that it may seem a very cliche goal due to the popularity of films such as DVP, but fashion and writing are both huge interests of mine and I can't think of a job that I'd enjoy more than working for a Condé Nast publication, even though I know that the process would be difficult, unlike it's portrayed in movies.

As this forum has grown quite a lot since the 2015, I was wondering whether any of you girls have any additional insider information as to how to optimise my chances at working at a Condé Nast (or similar) publication. I'm still in high school and have a 4.0 GPA and a 99% average in English. I'd be particularly interested in writing for a magazine, so if anyone has any pointers into the best colleges to aim for (I'm assuming somewhere in NY would be ideal in order to make connections and have access to more opportunities throughout the year?), which degree would be ideal, internships to apply for and how to best prepare myself now while I'm still in high school, I'd appreciate it so so so much :luvluv:

Reviving this very dead thread because I've recently realised that my dream would be to work for a fashion magazine. I realise that it may seem a very cliche goal due to the popularity of films such as DVP, but fashion and writing are both huge interests of mine and I can't think of a job that I'd enjoy more than working for a Condé Nast publication, even though I know that the process would be difficult, unlike it's portrayed in movies.

As this forum has grown quite a lot since the 2015, I was wondering whether any of you girls have any additional insider information as to how to optimise my chances at working at a Condé Nast (or similar) publication. I'm still in high school and have a 4.0 GPA and a 99% average in English. I'd be particularly interested in writing for a magazine, so if anyone has any pointers into the best colleges to aim for (I'm assuming somewhere in NY would be ideal in order to make connections and have access to more opportunities throughout the year?), which degree would be ideal, internships to apply for and how to best prepare myself now while I'm still in high school, I'd appreciate it so so so much :luvluv:

I am sure other members can give better advice/tips but I can share with you the experience of my friend who works for Vogue. She didn't do any internships or the like until she got to uni. As you are still in high school my advice would be to start thinking about what you want to study at university and start preparing for that. No doubt you will need to study some kind of journalism/professional communications degree. I'd do some research into what universities have the best journalism/communications courses and what ATAR you need to get into your chosen course.

My friend studied a Bachelor of Journalism. While at uni she did a range of internships which she got simply through cold-calling organisations! Her dream job was to work for a fashion magazine but that didn't come until approximately 5 years after she finished uni. Her first job after finishing uni was a local community newspaper. While working for the local newspaper, she cold-called a few fashion magazines and arranged to have coffees with the Editors in Chief to try and get her name out there. Eventually a job came up at Vogue which she applied for and because the Editor in Chief remembered my friend from having coffee with her, my friend was successful in landing the job.

One thing you could start doing now (if you aren't already) is "studying" - my friend said she was basically preparing her whole life for the job at Vogue. For as long as she can remember she would read books and magazines about fashion to improve her knowledge (not just reading fashion magazines, but texts about designs, designers and the history of fashion and design etc). She was also a member of TFS and spent a lot of time reading and engaging on the forums. She also said she read criticism of her favourite fashion writers and studied their work.

Hope that helps :)

• Useful
No doubt you will need to study some kind of journalism/professional communications degree.

Yes doubt. If you want to work in PR or fashion, a business degree is preferable and it also allows for more flexibility were you to decide differently later :)

I'll appropriate two of my friends for case studies:

Girl A is Danish, went to London to study marketing at London College of Fashion while working part time at that department store which isn't Harrod's throughout her course. She now does international PR for one of the major shoe brands (think Gianvito Rossi, not Birman or Schutz).

Girl B went to Georgetown for organisational studies while working for a contemporary prized boutique chain. She also completed an internship with a major auction house. She went on to write (and then edit) for a Condé Nast publication and is now in online retail.

Both girls come from extremely well connected families without which I highly doubt either of them would have landed the same jobs so shortly out of college. Both girls also come from minted families without which they wouldn't have been able to survive on fashion industry salaries.

If you have done any research at all you would probably already have stumbled upon this video, but I'll attach it just in case:

• Love
  • Useful