Winter Dressing: How To Avoid Freezing To Death

There are warmer/more expensive brands. Unfortunately the logo is just as big.

I think I just don't like parkas haha... my dream is a peacoat as warm as any ski jacket!

I agree - while mine is very warm and comfortable, I have a double layer wool coat with a belt and hood that I just love the style of so much more. But for a down coat, the CG is decently fashionable (it's the Whistler Parka) - mine has a belt, hood and flat exterior (not quilted, though it is down), is surprisingly light weight, and I managed to get an XXS so it is fitted (as much as a down coat can be lol). Still a bit to bulky for my taste, but when the temperature is below 0 Farenheight (like -18 C), my wool coat just didn't cut it. @Songbirds and Sagebrush - if you find that perfect peacoat you have to let me know!!

Any recommendations on quality leather/suede leggings? I've found that I can pull off fashionable leggings (not athletic) sometimes under a dress, which is helpful if I'm going out and it's cold out at night.

Bumping, because I see two status updates about this issue.

Kit and Ace sells "technical cashmere" developed to be warm and light AND machine washable. Their products seem to be sized and designed for skinny women. The saleslady told me their size 2 is an XXS. This long sleeve black tee is designed for "showing just the right amount of collarbone." ;)

The cons:
A little expensive.
The major investor is also the Lululemon founder...so there is that, but the product is great.

Has anyone else discovered other "technical" fabrics or other staying-warm strategies?

Reactions: 1 user

Kit and Ace sells "technical cashmere" developed to be warm and light AND machine washable. Their products seem to be sized and designed for skinny women. The saleslady told me their size 2 is an XXS. This long sleeve black tee is designed for "showing just the right amount of collarbone." ;)

The cons:
A little expensive.
The major investor is also the Lululemon founder...so there is that, but the product is great.

Has anyone else discovered other "technical" fabrics or other staying-warm strategies?
Oh nice find—I might buy one of those! I love "technical clothing"—I have some heat-preserving undershirts from Costco, and I'm pretty sure they're also "technical" fabric-made, but I might be wrong. I guess it's super unfashionable, but so long as I'm warm...

I always use thermal t-shirts which keep you SO warm. I buy them from decathlon which is a huge shop with has sportswear stuff.
Mine are 5.99 € each lol, and I swear for them

Other than keeping you warm, you can wear a lighter jumper/coat, so you're not forced to wear like 10 layers and can be in style even when it's freezing outside :drama:

I always use thermal t-shirts which keep you SO warm. I buy them from decathlon which is a huge shop with has sportswear stuff.

Other than keeping you warm, you can wear a lighter jumper/coat, so you're not forced to wear like 10 layers and can be in style even when it's freezing outside :drama:
Im buying those the next time I go there!

Yes and tights, I have a couple of looser jeans to wear during winter , that look tight and cute with the thermo leggings underneath . I'm too short for the baggy look.

The cons:
A little expensive.

The perfect scoop isn't a waffle cone:lol:.

• Funny
Reactions: 1 users
Leather leggings/pants

I have these leather leggings (thicker than leggings, but not quite pants) and they're amazing for winter.

• Agree
My hands and feet are always freezing no matter how thick socks or gloves I wear, so if I know I will be staying outside for a long time I often use disposable hand warmers in my gloves and shoes. It's not practical to use every day and they only last for like 6 hours, but I like using them for example when I go skiing. Went to an outside Christmas concert yesterday in -7 degrees celsius and I dont think I would have been able to stand still watching the concert that lasted for an hour if i hadn't had hand warmers in both my shoes and gloves.

I'm looking for the perfect coat for NYC winter. Does anyone have any recs? Also, good cashmere and angora sweaters. I'd love to know specifically the best brands and stores, thanks :kiss:

Same here as above.
I need a LONG, warm, preferably Wool Classic coat.
I want it to be DARK (Navy, Grey, Burgundy), or Camel and it can be $$$ but it absolutely must have LONG sleeves for me and a good fit for a tall frame w/ broader shoulders, longer bodice. This generally is hard to achieve for any "bargain" brands so I don't mind splurging. I've sent my friends to look for me, so now I'd be happy to see what you ladies come up with. Generally I find once something fits my shoulders (with a sweater) nothing else fits (just too huge & bulky)...and long sleeves usually end up being 3/4 length on me....
Also, it's not urgent, but if it's a good coat and classic I don't mind buying it sooner rather than later.

My hands and feet are always freezing no matter how thick socks or gloves I wear, so if I know I will be staying outside for a long time I often use disposable hand warmers in my gloves and shoes. It's not practical to use every day and they only last for like 6 hours, but I like using them for example when I go skiing. Went to an outside Christmas concert yesterday in -7 degrees celsius and I dont think I would have been able to stand still watching the concert that lasted for an hour if i hadn't had hand warmers in both my shoes and gloves.

For when you're home, I HIGHLY recommend getting microwaveable slippers! I have the same issues, especially with my feet, to the point where I can't sleep because my feet are frigid despite being warm everywhere else on my body in bed.

(I will leave them on the radiator too for an hour to get super toasty if I'm too lazy to go microwave them)

They're inexpensive, very soft, and mine came infused with lavender to smell nice + promote relaxation. :p

my usual getup, walking the better half of a mile to class in the sub-zero temps:
  • cotton leggings
  • fleece-lined leggings over the cotton ones
  • Pants over the leggings (can be removed once the tundra has been successfully waded through and safety reached)
  • aloe-infused thick fuzzy socks (the only kind of socks I'm not bothered by)
  • boots, up to my knees- can vanquish snowbanks in those bad boys

On top:
  • camisole
  • skintight waffle knit three-quarter sleeve
  • larger, thicker thermal
  • proper gorgeous sweater for looking acceptable indoors
  • "outer sweater" for when outside, thick and covers my bum (think "dad sweater")
  • coat worn over outer sweater - I wear men's jackets because they're loaded with pockets and tend to be warmer/better made
Accessories:
  • mittens, though my hands still get aching cold
  • (hint: carry a hot thermos of tea with you if you're a poor grad student who's not buying those instant hand warmer things)
  • hat or ear cover headband thing
  • NECK GAITER. SERIOUSLY.

Essentially I look like a ninja with my face so covered by the neck gaiter and hat, just a slit of my eyes showing, but damn am I finally acceptably warm outdoors.

What would you recommend for brands/where to find good ones?
I don't really know any good brands, I just brought mine according to the smallest sizes available.
These ones I have:
Rag and bone
Faux leather
Zara - I had a really good one, a tiny bit big, but it stretched out now. Lasted me a good few years though.
Blank denim - I think I got it through shopbop

I'm looking for the perfect coat for NYC winter. Does anyone have any recs? Also, good cashmere and angora sweaters. I'd love to know specifically the best brands and stores, thanks :kiss:
Cashmere sweaters on a budget Uniqlo
Otherwise Ralph Lauren, Eric Bompard (really good), Pringle of Scotland, Zadig & Voltaire

Sorry, I don't know about angora, I find it itchy.

Last edited:
  • Love
For when you're home, I HIGHLY recommend getting microwaveable slippers! I have the same issues, especially with my feet, to the point where I can't sleep because my feet are frigid despite being warm everywhere else on my body in bed.

(I will leave them on the radiator too for an hour to get super toasty if I'm too lazy to go microwave them)

They're inexpensive, very soft, and mine came infused with lavender to smell nice + promote relaxation. :p
Thats a great idea! Where did you get yours from? :grin: When I googled microwaveable slippers tons of different brands came up, so if the ones you got work well I'd rather get mine from the same brand than just order a pair from a random shop not knowing if they'll work properly

I don't really know any good brands, I just brought mine according to the smallest sizes available.
These ones I have:
Rag and bone
Faux leather
Zara - I had a really good one, a tiny bit big, but it stretched out now. Lasted me a good few years though.
Blank denim - I think I got it through shopbop

How tall are you? I keep running into issues with leggings coming up over my ankles :disgusted:

And I'll definitely check them out. Do you have any recommendations for gloves by chance? I'm looking for some that are leather or at least slim fitting, but still super warm.

Thats a great idea! Where did you get yours from? :grin: When I googled microwaveable slippers tons of different brands came up, so if the ones you got work well I'd rather get mine from the same brand than just order a pair from a random shop not knowing if they'll work properly

Mine are Intelex Cozy Body. They make slippers and booties.

They're full of flax seeds or millet throughout the entire thing (some brands the heating stuffing is only at the sole) and smell herbal and nice when heated, but not too strongly.

Most of the models including this one aren't meant to walk in really. I shuffle around in them just fine, but they're made more to lay down or curl up somewhere in.
This brand is wicked soft plush outside, like a soft kid's stuffed animal, which is important to me as I can't stand most socks or anything on my feet.

There might be better brands but I'm 100% satisfied with these!
Ordered cheapest from Amazon.:p

• Useful
  • Love
Reactions: 1 users