Winter Dressing: How To Avoid Freezing To Death

I do really well with fur lined things. Also it may be counter intuitive, but if your clothing is too loose you're losing a lot of heat that way. The best is for clothing to be generally right on the skin or parts of an inch off. This way you body heat is retained in that small layer, but if your clothes or too loose, your body heat rises and dissipates. Also, go for good brands. North face is ookaaaayyyy, but I prefer Swiss Army & Canada Goose gear. It's expensive, but it's what all my professors wear on their expeditions.

Reactions: 1 user
lso it may be counter intuitive, but if your clothing is too loose you're losing a lot of heat that way. The best is for clothing to be generally right on the skin or parts of an inch off.
Amen to that! :highfive: I always wear tight clothes during winter. But not shoes, if the shoes are too tight the foot definitely freezes.

Reactions: 1 users
Amen to that! :highfive: I always wear tight clothes during winter. But not shoes, if the shoes are too tight the foot definitely freezes.

winter shoes I always try to size a half size up for socks. Also, as a general, doubling socks is generally regarded as a 'dont'. Water gets trapped between the first and second layer and it will freeze your toes!

I know they're expensive, but hand and toe warmers do exist and you can buy in bulk from Bass Pro, and individuals in most supermarkets, and gas stations. They're actual life savers. I snowboard a lot and just keep like 20 in my pack at all times.

Usually for the winter I pull out my Uniqlo stash. They have a good amount of selection in the heat tech brand which actually is warmer(or placebo effect). Their wool sweaters are also really good. Plus it's not too pricey. ;)

My absolute favourite thing right now is a black wool coat I bought from Oasis. It's gorgeous, and totally windproof.
Under that I usually wear a crop top, thick woollen cardigan, high waisted skirt, with tights, thigh high socks and ugly thermal socks! All under my knee high leather boots. It's perfect because outside I look relatively chic with my black coat and lovely boots, and it's so warm I can wear a decent looking outfit underneath

I agree w/ the Uniqlo gear. They are pretty reasonably priced and you can layer under your clothing. Otherwise I look for better quality wool tights, etc for dressier things and a long wool coat.

Also my hands/feet get really icy so sometimes I need those camping things to put in mittens.

I am tempted to get one of these zippo hand heater things though although if I'm in a cold climate I try to carry a hot thermos with me too.

Close fitting is the way to go, with natural fibers like silk or wool close to the skin. I try to wear a close, thin layer of something like a silk tee, and then if I want a baggier layer over that, it still keeps the heat in .

I love wearing a tight-ish thermal undershirt, along with leggings underneath jeans. Leggings underneath jeans also makes exercising more convenient. And if I'm not concerned with how I look, I wear a big puffy parka haha. It's quite warm, but it makes me look like a balloon. :x

its been a warm winter this year and i havent been able to wear any of my favorite coats
the temperature has rarely dropped below 10c so far such a shame

Just bought a Canada Goose coat - it's a lifesaver, especially if you have to do any walking outside. I swear its like wearing a down comforter. It's also very light, which you wouldn't expect for something that warm.

My favorite piece of clothing for the cold days is my black cashmere turtleneck sweater. It's very tight, makes your waist look amazing but is also surprisingly warm. I wish I could wear it everyday.

My favorite piece of clothing for the cold days is my black cashmere turtleneck sweater. It's very tight, makes your waist look amazing but is also surprisingly warm. I wish I could wear it everyday.
Me too! I love my turtleneck.
In winter I usually wear layers: turtleneck/sweater, thin leather jacket, thicker over coat and a scarf.
That's one of the benefits of being skinny, you can layer forever and not look like the michelin man.
michelin_man.jpg

LAYERS. I'm also a bit sensitive to wool, so it's mainly layers and layers of silk, cotton, sometimes with cashmere blends. As for shoes, I never wear more than one pair of socks at a time but would pad the soles of my shoes if it's particularly icy out. Don't mind the extra height boost either :D

Favorite items are my scarves! I love scarves.

Just bought a Canada Goose coat - it's a lifesaver, especially if you have to do any walking outside. I swear its like wearing a down comforter. It's also very light, which you wouldn't expect for something that warm.

Love mine but everyone and their mother has one in Toronto :( It's a little better in NJ but seeing the huge logo on the upper arm kind of ruins it for me

its been a warm winter this year and i havent been able to wear any of my favorite coats
the temperature has rarely dropped below 10c so far such a shame
You must live in a climate like mine.....I have soooo many cute winter clothes but I never get to wear them. I don't think it got below freezing all winter long. That or I was in the Carribean.

I'm a little bit sad to be living in the southern hemisphere... Granted, the coldest I've experienced the city to be was 2 Celcius at about 6am, but it is beyond torturous. Especially as we don't have much of a transition period: it pretty much goes straight from summer to winter. And, as a bonus, central heating isn't a thing here. If it's cold outside, you best believe it's only 5 degrees warmer inside.
:nopity:
But I digress. I've worked so hard to take off every single inch, and I'm very reluctant to put them back on in layers :( anyone know how to keep yourself from freezing without gaining approximately 10lbs in clothing?

I live in a relatively warm/moderate area, and I still find it to be extremely cold! What has helped me is wearing leggings underneath my jeans, scarves, and thermal undershirts.

I'm a little bit sad to be living in the southern hemisphere... Granted, the coldest I've experienced the city to be was 2 Celcius at about 6am, but it is beyond torturous. Especially as we don't have much of a transition period: it pretty much goes straight from summer to winter. And, as a bonus, central heating isn't a thing here. If it's cold outside, you best believe it's only 5 degrees warmer inside.
:nopity:
But I digress. I've worked so hard to take off every single inch, and I'm very reluctant to put them back on in layers :( anyone know how to keep yourself from freezing without gaining approximately 10lbs in clothing?

Haha, it's the opposite where I live (Sweden) when it comes to temperature. The winter is always cold here so heating isn't an issue. AC is just not a thing here (at least not in regular housing), so when the summer is really warm it's sweltering inside and out, there's no escape.

As for you're question, as others have said here - I think your best bet is probably the thermal clothing. They're light layers and easy to wear underneath other things. I have thermo leggings and tights, mostly what I've been wearing during the colder months for the last years, but I just wear them instead of regular leggings/tights. I am thinking of getting a thermal tank-top or something along those lines to wear underneath sweaters for the upcoming winter season though.