What should Skinny Gurls avoid?

classichic

Super Star
Jan 27, 2012
Somewhere
Ok what kind of clothing should we avoid to wear? I don't mean things you think ugly but an article of clothing that is unflattering or makes you look big or just plain wrong.

In my opinion, I think skinny gurls should avoid

For example: turtlenecks for those with big boobs (I would love to pull this one off).
Avoid yellow/pink (light colours) if you're really big
3/4 trousers
bermudas

Any other?

I know for myself A-line knee length skirts look terrible on me.

Hotpants that show your buttcheeks, not a good look on anyone.

Some leggins as pants, especially those that are flimsy or loose in the butt/crotch area.

Cheap/trashy looking clothes and materials (unless 1. you can pull it off and 2 . it's intentional and not that often). Skinny girls can easily fall under the illusion that just because they have a great body, they can wear anything. Wrong. Some clothes just plain suck.

Hotpants that show your buttcheeks, not a good look on anyone.
:nod: otherwise referred to as denim diapers

I think skinny girls have to watch out with over-sized clothes. Something like a sweater/sweatshirt looks cute a few sizes too big, but something like jeans... if they don't fit you... throw them out.
2362639470_5146314fdc.jpg

Also dresses:
aolsen.jpg

And bikini bottoms:
nicole-richie-anorexic.jpg

Flared pants -- not boot cut, but actual flares -- look straight up ridiculous when you have tiny thighs or slim hips.

Knee-high boots that are too big in the calf look really silly too. Same with shirts or dresses that are constructed at the top, like those ones with boning that are made to look like a corset or bra or something. They can be flattering if they fit impeccably, but generally they're too big on skinny girls, and it's bad bad bad.

Also swimsuits. Seriously, don't go for bra tops unless you have boobs. You'll go from looking like a fabulous model with a toned booty to a five year old wearing her mother's bra :( trust me.

Knee-high boots that are too big in the calf look really silly too.

This! I hate shopping for boots, even though my calves are quite big.
90% of boots make me look like Puss in Boots :D

- Oversize is difficult. Many oversized items are awfully sewn and look bad on everyone.

- If it's not intentionally oversized, it will look like something that doesn't fit.

- I have thin, very tiny wrists and most bracelets look bad on me.

- General rule - leggings are not pants.

Cheap/trashy looking clothes and materials (unless 1. you can pull it off and 2 . it's intentional and not that often). Skinny girls can easily fall under the illusion that just because they have a great body, they can wear anything. Wrong. Some clothes just plain suck.

Completely agree.

Being skinny doesn´t automatically mean that you have class and style. But IF you manage to have it, you´ll surely look more classy than heavy women who also have it.

And looking edgy is not about wearing all kinds of trashy materials only because the cut is stylish. Its about wearing stuff that maybe comes across a bit trashy, but if you look twice, its all about beautiful materials and well picked pieces that are more unique than the standard look you see in the streets.

The older I get, the more I usually see if someone wears the actual H&M-"Oh I´m so edgy"-collection or if the person really has an idea about how to dress ;) A love for clothes and fashion often implies that you walk an extra mile to find something beautiful and that you educate yourself about materials or that you spend your money on ONE great piece instead of buying 5 pieces that are plain and cheap....

Those are the things that are important to me...Express yourself and not the trend of the discounters.

I also think oversized clothes can definately make you look bigger. For some outfits that might be ok, its still better to look slightly bigger if you have a great idea for a look than really being big :grin:

And of course nobody should ever forget what many pointed out here: Leggings are not pants! :lol:

Completely agree.

Being skinny doesn´t automatically mean that you have class and style. But IF you manage to have it, you´ll surely look more classy than heavy women who also have it.

And looking edgy is not about wearing all kinds of trashy materials only because the cut is stylish. Its about wearing stuff that maybe comes across a bit trashy, but if you look twice, its all about beautiful materials and well picked pieces that are more unique than the standard look you see in the streets.

The older I get, the more I usually see if someone wears the actual H&M-"Oh I´m so edgy"-collection or if the person really has an idea about how to dress ;) A love for clothes and fashion often implies that you walk an extra mile to find something beautiful and that you educate yourself about materials or that you spend your money on ONE great piece instead of buying 5 pieces that are plain and cheap....

Those are the things that are important to me...Express yourself and not the trend of the discounters.

I also think oversized clothes can definately make you look bigger. For some outfits that might be ok, its still better to look slightly bigger if you have a great idea for a look than really being big :grin:

And of course nobody should ever forget what many pointed out here: Leggings are not pants! :lol:

Yes! The edgy thing, IMO, is the difference between truly appreciating an alternative look but still trying to mix high and low end items and look nice, versus going to Urban Outfitters and buying whatever your dad's Amex can afford because you saw Lights wearing it.

Lots of skinny girls fall into that trap because those pre-picked H&M 'edgy' clothes almost always show a fair bit of skin, and after working so hard, that's where they want to go.

Lots of skinny girls fall into that trap because those pre-picked H&M 'edgy' clothes almost always show a fair bit of skin, and after working so hard, that's where they want to go.

Understandable ;) And its not like you are forever there, style also needs time to develop of course.

And what you say about the edgy look is also completely true. I think that really living an alternative life and looking like that always comes across more genuine than just trying hard. But I don´t expect of girls who are not even 20 to already know so much about theirselves that it all works since first stepping into some clothing store ;) There are a few, but life is always progress and when I was younger I also had to experiment a lot before I found my basic style (which of course also slightly changes during the years, but the ground is there now I think), goes hand in hand with finding out more about your character I guess.

Reactions: 1 user
Skinny gurls should avoid... food! :eek:

Getting back to the topic of clothes: I think skinny gurls look good in almost anything as long as it fits properly.

Reactions: 1 users
Do not wear ankle boots without a heel! .. unless you have legs that go on for MILES that are super thin, a.k.a if you are a model (and a tall model for that).

(this should probably apply to gladiator sandals too, but I really love them so I guess I'm going to be a hypocrite)

I personally believe that not all outfits suit skinny girls. I've seen some skinnies wearing not so flattering clothing. One cannot be fab to me if they are skinny and have terrible clothing and style choices.

Skinny + great fashion sense = Fabulous!:party:

Oversized clothing is a tough one.. I think it all depends on which article of clothing you're choosing to be oversized and what you pair it with. I think jeans that are a little oversized (not ridiculously so, though) look good with a fitted tank top. And same goes for an shirt that fits a bit loose with tight jeans, or if the shirt is long enough, then leggings.
I think it's also how you define "oversized". Oversized to me is a size or two bigger than what I would normally wear. Just big enough that it looks loose on me, but not that I'm swimming in it or that it might fall off. :)

If you go for leggings, always check how they look in bright lights before you leave the house....because even if they seem perfectly opaque in the mirror, they might show every freckle on your bum when you go in the sunlight!

wat to wear

Skinny girls need to wear shirts that are talyered to you or just a tad flowy like a goddess look, and thing else looks horible
as for pants make shure they fit you if they don't and are baggy in some places you will look slopy
and for dress the shorter the better you have those skinny legs show them off

Oversized clothing is a tough one.. I think it all depends on which article of clothing you're choosing to be oversized and what you pair it with. I think jeans that are a little oversized (not ridiculously so, though) look good with a fitted tank top. And same goes for an shirt that fits a bit loose with tight jeans, or if the shirt is long enough, then leggings.
I think it's also how you define "oversized". Oversized to me is a size or two bigger than what I would normally wear. Just big enough that it looks loose on me, but not that I'm swimming in it or that it might fall off. :)

I never got the hype behind the "skinny girl in baggy clothes" look... I guess many girls go for it because they see it in models street style and think they look fashionista in it :wondering:

I also agree with you that if someone goes for that look, they should choose one item to be loose-fitting and combine it with something tight.

Dresses or tops with no sleeves or straps cause they always fall down ! Terrible time at prom trying to dance with no straps. Any tips on how to keep it up?