what calorie tracking app/website you use?

A

amb

Just wondering what apps or websites you guys use, and how do you find it there?

I've been using CalorieCount for about 3-4 years now. The first few years I used it occasionally, preferring to track by hand instead, but ever since getting an iPhone, I find using the app really useful and convenient cuz you can log in anytime, anywhere.

That said, there are some drawbacks in CalorieCount.

• It doesn't count down your calories, so you know how much you've consumed, not how much less
  • There is an overall analysis for the day, but it doesn't add up how much carbs, protein, fats you've eaten in real time
  • You can't delete a post over there, so some members can 'track' your posts and find out so much about you that it's unnerving

I've been thinking of switching over to My Fitness Pal. The main appeal is that it tracks macros (carb, fats, protein) in real time and it counts down your calories, but I've already added so many customized meals etc. in CalorieCount that I feel sad leaving it...

So just wonder what do you guys think... Or are there even better apps out there?

I use myfitnesspal. I really like seeing the carb, fat, protein, fiber, etc running totals. It helps me figure out what my next meal should consist of. I am trying to amp up on my protein and it has made it a lot easier.

myfitnesspal is awesome. the best free one out there. But the forum is very anti-skinny.

I've literally used them all. I liked livestrong myplate the best! It tells you how many of your calories come from carbs/protein/other stuff, how much water to drink, let's you enter your own calorie goals, tells you how much left, has a prediction graph (to see when they think you'll reach your goal weight based on the rate you're going), really interesting articles, and EVERYTHING! You guys should try it I love it!

A lot of the gurls on here use MFP. We've friended each other for support with the day to day goals. Here's the link to everyone's usernames :)
http://www.skinnygossip.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111

Previously I used Loseit! on and off for a year and really liked it. The foods were a bit more organized but it was more difficult to add restaurant food that weren't in the database.

I use to use my calorie counter for about 3 years b/c I like the utilities and the progress plots, but it's painfully slow (which is counter productive when you are trying to make a quick add) plus it is very difficult to find food matches in there.

MFP is quick and convenient, so I recently switched to it and it's not too bad.

I'm personally a fan of Daily Plate - part of Livestrong's website. It's very simple and streamlined to use. Like other websites, they calculate the amount of calories you should consume to lose X amt of pounds and the percentage of proteins, carbs, etc in your diet.

MFP is aaamazing! However, I have never tried any other, so I might be bias :p

I use both my fitness pal and calorie counter. Currently I use the other one more but I like them both.

So, I downloaded MFP and made an account. It seems alright to me...

One thing I like about Calorie Counter (CC) is that it gives you a report at the end of your day to track your macros AND vitamin and minerals too (calcium, sodium, potassium etc). So far I don't see MFP having that. MFP seems more focused on losing weight simply via calorie means, although that is definitely helpful and motivating when one's aim is just to lose weight. But that's why I still prefer CC sometimes, I think the mineral and vitamin intakes are just as important.

CC actually came up with a newer version that allows you to count down the calories and I realised that all the carb, fat and protein counts are pretty clear even in their mobile app too.

However, there is this new introduction of a CC Camp thing (CCC! haha :grin:) Basically you can choose to join the camp and you can earn virtual badges for each goal you achieved (e.g.: drinking enough water, logging your intake, eating enough fiber etc). You can publish your report to the public (ie everyone can see what you ate and comment)/ to your friends only/ private. Or you can choose not to take part in it at all.

Now the scary part is that sometimes when I 'complete my day', I don't even know if I accidentally published my report. I don't want to, obviously, given how vicious some of the people over there are, as you guys already know. But I don't know how to 'delete' a published report, or even check if I published any! So I have to be really careful, and they try to encourage you to publish it so it's easy to miss the private setting sometimes.

Never seen Livestrong before, gonna check it out definitely!

For loseit.com, I think the graphics there are really pretty! But it's unavailable out of the states, sadly.

So, yeah, just so if you're wondering whether you're missing out the grass on the other side: it's not necessarily greener ;)

So, I downloaded MFP and made an account. It seems alright to me...

One thing I like about Calorie Counter (CC) is that it gives you a report at the end of your day to track your macros AND vitamin and minerals too (calcium, sodium, potassium etc). So far I don't see MFP having that. MFP seems more focused on losing weight simply via calorie means, although that is definitely helpful and motivating when one's aim is just to lose weight. But that's why I still prefer CC sometimes, I think the mineral and vitamin intakes are just as important.

It's really weird. MFP does show the full day report of macros, vitamins and mineral but only through the iPhone app.

I use Fitclick. I haven't compared it to other sites, so it may not be the best, but it was the first one I found that I liked, and subsequently I'm used to it.

I never use it on my iPhone so I'm not sure how iPhone friendly it is - I will have to switch to MFP since I forsee a day when I won't have computer access and will need to plan a day's eating on my phone.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love Loseit! It doesn't give you all the itty bitty details but I find that I don't want them and honestly, I love the little icons for each food item. I'm so visual and I would rather have the icons than a better database (like MFP does).

I've been using Fitday for years. I don't know how I could do without it now!

I use Calorie Counter and Body Fitness, the last one track your weight, shows how many calories you can consume each day to reach your goal and when you will reach it, carbs, proteins, fats, how many cals are left for you to consume for that day, has exercises for different parts of a body, workout programmes etc etc :):) oh and also water tracker, temperature tracker, blood sugar level and so on :)

The first I used was Calorie Counter but now I am sticking to BodyFitness :rolleyes:

I also have livestrong and fitness buddy but dont use them that often ... :)

I love Loseit! It doesn't give you all the itty bitty details but I find that I don't want them and honestly, I love the little icons for each food item. I'm so visual and I would rather have the icons than a better database (like MFP does).

Where did you get it from? I heard a lot of it, found it online, but cant find it on my iPhone!! :oops:

I also found BodyFitness better than MFP because in MFP you have to set your calorie intake goal yourself, and it automatically makes it 1200kcal as everywhere I read no one recommends to try n loose weight by consuming less than 1200kcal... where BodyFitness app calculates itself how many calories you have to consume/day to loose the weight until set date...:rolleyes:

e.g. since my weight when i started was 60kg, goal weight 50kg i set my diet plan to lose 2.0lb (1.05kg)/week therefore it calculates for me that i can consume 754kcal/day. where if i choose to lose 1.5lb (0.75kg)/week (which would be healthier) i had to consume 1004kcals/day and etc :) you can also choose your activity level where i chose sedentary, if i choose lightly active i can consume 1260kcal on a 1.5lb/week lose diet, or 1010 on a 2lb/week :)

That's odd. What if you went to the Health and Fitness tab and clicked under free apps? It should be among the featured.