Wedding Dresses (for those of us who care about them)

Moon

Rookie
I love this post!! haha :grin:
I can't resist posting my dress again :luv:
9402_st_pucchi_wedding_dress_primary.jpg

9402_st_pucchi_wedding_dress_sec01.jpg

I love st pucchi gowns, all of them. In general I love gowns that have a lot going on and are especially unique or different. I tried on so many gowns and was in love the second I put this on.
Of course this also works with my venue and that is important to keep in mind.

Oh wow, it's so big and amazing haha.

alexandtm

Worker Bee
Ok girls, I need your expert opinions- I have been looking at dresses and found this one and I simply must know what you all think! This is really the dress I'm dying to be skinny for...

It's gorgeous! I love the delicate look to it. Very pretty. Who's the manufacturer?

curlycue

Worker Bee
Ok girls, I need your expert opinions- I have been looking at dresses and found this one and I simply must know what you all think! This is really the dress I'm dying to be skinny for...

It's beautiful and classic, reminds me of Princess Kate's. Perfect for a traditional wedding.

I love this post!! haha :grin:
I can't resist posting my dress again :luv:
9402_st_pucchi_wedding_dress_primary.jpg

I love st pucchi gowns, all of them. In general I love gowns that have a lot going on and are especially unique or different. I tried on so many gowns and was in love the second I put this on.
Of course this also works with my venue and that is important to keep in mind.

St. Pucchi is so dramatic and fun! I tried on a few, but they ate me alive - I'm not nearly charismatic enough to pull it off.

I got married last year in a formal, church ceremony with a small family reception afterwards. Here's my mikado and crepe de chine silk dress by Junko Yoshioka:

JY-Silvana-1.jpg

JY-Silvana.jpg

I had a rather unique requirement - I have a family heirloom black lace veil from the 1860's, so I had to find something that went with the veil well.

I'd highly recommend looking on preownedweddingdresses.com . It definitely cuts down on price of the gown - especially when you fall in love with a $12,000 Oscar de la Renta like I did:
Guipure.jpg

Absolutely stunning and perfect in person, but $12,000 was a little steep. My other favorite wedding dress designers were Lela Rose, Monique L'huillier, Carolina Herrera, Claire Pettibone, Elie Saab, and Jenny Packham. I wasn't impressed with Vera Wang AT ALL. She rides on her name in my opinion - her dresses weren't nearly on the same caliber of Oscar, Monique, Elie, or Carolina's - they were poorly constructed.

My fav's had I had a different wedding:
lela_rose_barn_fshm.jpg

monique-lhuillier-fall-2011-wedding-gowns.jpg

Monique-Lhuillier-2011.jpg

claire-pettibone-wedding-dresses.jpg

S

salander

I really found choosing a wedding dress disorienting, haha. But all the women who were helping me seemed to have fun putting everything on the store on me! Ultimately, I never purchased one, though - I made my own.

I'll be going with my sister for her wedding dress shopping soon, and I'm really excited - she's beautiful and will look amazing. <3

T

Tami

I got married last year in a formal, church ceremony with a small family reception afterwards. Here's my mikado and crepe de chine silk dress by Junko Yoshioka:

JY-Silvana-1.jpg

JY-Silvana.jpg

Your dress is PERFECT. I love modern, minimalistic wedding dresses with structural details like this. Fouffy lace dresses do nothing for me.

structured_wedding_dress.jpg

karl_lagerfeld_wedding_dress_2010.jpg

But even though I love the look of these, they would still be too much. We're doing a courthouse wedding so this is more of what I'm on the market for

dress1.jpg

67694800619037287_PJUjQqlw_b.jpg

Simple, elegant, practical.

Silent Night

Grand Dame
http://www.miasolano.com/gallerydetails.asp?main_id=383&sname=&cname=BRIDAL&cat_id=27&subcat_id=0

http://www.miasolano.com/gallerydetails.asp?main_id=184&sname=&cname=BRIDAL&cat_id=27&subcat_id=0

They're about $1000, from what Pinterest tells me. Never have taken an interest in wedding gear before so don't know if that's a good designer but they look quite similar.

This hunt has made me realise I just can't abide elegant simplicity at a wedding. If anyone ever gets round to asking in the future, I'm doing it in a m-e-r-i-n-g-u-e or not at all.

S

salander

Hey ladies, kind of a weird question - my sister found a dress she loved on one of those designer dress knock-off sites, but wants to find the original designer (which is of course not listed anywhere). Could anyone help me or potentially recognize it?

The link is here: http://www.600shop.net/exquisite-popular-aline-sweetheart-appliques-satin-lined-in-tulle-court-train-wedding-dress-jbpp949-p-19778.html

Nevermind, I found it - Maggie Sottero Joanna. She now has an appointment to try it on Sunday. :)

S

salander

http://www.miasolano.com/gallerydetails.asp?main_id=383&sname=&cname=BRIDAL&cat_id=27&subcat_id=0

http://www.miasolano.com/gallerydetails.asp?main_id=184&sname=&cname=BRIDAL&cat_id=27&subcat_id=0

They're about $1000, from what Pinterest tells me. Never have taken an interest in wedding gear before so don't know if that's a good designer but they look quite similar.

This hunt has made me realise I just can't abide elegant simplicity at a wedding. If anyone ever gets round to asking in the future, I'm doing it in a m-e-r-i-n-g-u-e or not at all.

Those are close, I forwarded her the links, but found the original - Maggie Sottero Joanna. Thank you so much for hunting!

I did a very simple wedding and made my own dress, so now I get to live vicariously through my sister and her fluffy dresses, haha.

Silent Night

Grand Dame
Those are close, I forwarded her the links, but found the original - Maggie Sottero Joanna. Thank you so much for hunting!

I did a very simple wedding and made my own dress, so now I get to live vicariously through my sister and her fluffy dresses, haha.

How did we LIVE before internet????

S

salander

How did we LIVE before internet????

I really don't know. Sad thing is, I outdate the internet. So I'm not fully certain how I survived, but I remember this thing called "outside"...and it felt very big, but not as big as the internet.

V

Vanity

I really found choosing a wedding dress disorienting, haha. But all the women who were helping me seemed to have fun putting everything on the store on me! Ultimately, I never purchased one, though - I made my own.

I'll be going with my sister for her wedding dress shopping soon, and I'm really excited - she's beautiful and will look amazing. <3

When I first started looking at dresses I was sooo overwhelmed.... and we went to Klienfeld as our first store and told them our budget was 5k, which apparently is so low they only had 3 dresses to show me.
We kept looking and putting on those gowns that I swear all weigh 50lbs, it was so exhausting.
I love that you made yours, we were going to have one custom made as well but I luckily found my dream dress. I bet dress shopping will be so much more fun when you aren't the one trying on the dresses!!

V

Vanity

completely stunning but you don't know until you try it on. I was really surprised with what looked good on me and what didn't.

V

Vanity

I really don't know. Sad thing is, I outdate the internet. So I'm not fully certain how I survived, but I remember this thing called "outside"...and it felt very big, but not as big as the internet.

hey, now we have outside and the internet all at once.... yay smartphones :grin:

S

salander

When I first started looking at dresses I was sooo overwhelmed.... and we went to Klienfeld as our first store and told them our budget was 5k, which apparently is so low they only had 3 dresses to show me.
We kept looking and putting on those gowns that I swear all weigh 50lbs, it was so exhausting.
I love that you made yours, we were going to have one custom made as well but I luckily found my dream dress. I bet dress shopping will be so much more fun when you aren't the one trying on the dresses!!

Wow, my world is very different - I spent just over 5k on my entire wedding!

I'm really looking forward to going shopping with my sister, it's going to be really fun. :) She's super judgemental about what she wears and will make it funny to be there for. Seems like she'll be seeking a strapless, sweetheart neckline, A-line dress, which will totally offset her to-die-for collarbones, haha.

Silent Night

Grand Dame

:lol:

I'm of that decrepit issue too. Once I admitted to my classmates that the internet didn't exist when I was a child and that I could remember when people didn't have computers, and they laughed and spoke together in their new young person's language that I couldn't understand.

Silent Night

Grand Dame

Wow, my world is very different - I spent just over 5k on my entire wedding!

I'm really looking forward to going shopping with my sister, it's going to be really fun. :) She's super judgemental about what she wears and will make it funny to be there for. Seems like she'll be seeking a strapless, sweetheart neckline, A-line dress, which will totally offset her to-die-for collarbones, haha.

My dress cost £37, and my wedding £260. After that we had no more money :lol:

S

salander

My dress cost £37, and my wedding £260. After that we had no more money :lol:

That's absolutely brilliant! I had really wanted to just elope, but my husband wanted the whole big wedding thing, so we compromised and I made him do 80% of the planning, haha. Most of our budget was getting a favorite restaurant to cater. The rest was super cheap.