Walking in Heels

alexandtm

Rookie
Dec 29, 2012
This is a bit embarrassing to post, but I've never quite mastered walking in heels. My mom always chides me for walking so "heavy," and I always seem to get stuck in the cracks of the sidewalk, or wobble if the heel is a stiletto, even if it's a short 2-3". I took dance when I was younger, and have no issues walking in flats, so I thought I'd turn to you all to see what tips or tricks you might have. I wear a 2-3" heel every day to work, and am always banging them up or worrying about looking like I'm stomping. There's got to be something I'm missing! Should I go the old fashioned route and practice with a book on my head?

What are your best tips and tricks for walking in heels?

Reactions: 1 user
Yes! I've been looking for answers to this as well. I have a great pair of nude platform pumps I adore, but I look like a baby deer walking on ice when I wear them. NOT hot.

Well I'm certainly no expert...but, I've been wearing heels for a while, so just my 2c to follow:

1) Obvious perhaps but the quality of the heels themselves can really impact how difficult it is to walk in them--as in I think even the most seasoned expert would have trouble walking in $20 heels, although of course even this is possible. So better quality-> less risk of pain/injury.

2) You DO walk differently in heels than in normal shoes, its a postural thing. I'd say its easier if you are tightening your butt, tightening your abs, and lengthening your back up through to your neck--I don't know but when I wear heels I actually feel like I'm 'lighter' and more 'airborne'--not more clunky (like with my normal boots or whatever).

3) There is no substitute for practice, if you wear heals every 3 months it will be difficult regardless--but it seems that you are getting quite alot so thats probably not relevant here.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
I used to be a huge tomboy(well, a skinny tomboy) and never wore heels. When it got the the point where I actually wanted to wear heels I found it impossible! I just stuck to flats and decided heels weren't for me. UNTIL! I saw a lovely pair of shoes which only had a kitten heel but I was so worried about walking in them. I decided that the only way it was going to work was if I just sucked it up and practised. I bought them and at first only wore them in the house until I was ok with normal walking without tripping, then one day I wore them outside and although I was terribly self-conscious it wasn't as bad as I though. I then bought another pair with a 2 inch heel and did the same, I stuck to wedges only for the first year. They're much easier as you have more surface in contact with the floor, way less wobble to worry about :) Gradually they got easier to walk in until I bought myself some 3&1/2 inch block heels and practised in those to get used to walking on an actual heel rather than a wedge and lo and behold, today I can strut around in 5 inch stilettos with no problem! It just takes a lot of practise, buy some shoes you love, start out with wedges to get used to walking with a different centre of gravity and when you're comfortable in those get some 'proper' heels and practise in those. It takes time but before you know it you'll be running in 4 inch stilettos without a second thought.

Good luck! x

get used to walking with a different centre of gravity

Yes, exactly. Lean back - you aren't actually leaning back, you're correcting yourself from leaning forward.

Get some shoes that are attached to your feet to begin with, rather than strapless pumps. That should simplify things.

And get shoes that actually fit, and put the little gel pads inside if they rub. That way you won't have to distort your step to avoid blood-loss.

I went through the high heels transition recently as well :grin: I only wobbled the first time - it's easy!

Shorter heels are usually harder to walk in for me :nervous:
The taller the better ;)

Thanks for all the replies so far! I'm thinking I need to practice in front of a mirror to really pinpoint where I'm going wrong. I'll try out the tips and see what works best.

Shorter heels are usually harder to walk in for me :nervous:
The taller the better ;)

Now I'm wondering if a higher heel might help, since I apparently walk "heavy" - I think I'm striking too much on the heel and a higher heel to tip me forward more might help. I noticed a few weeks ago on a date I walked better in a pair of 4" heels, so maybe my work shoes are just too short? If I went for a higher heel that wasn't a stiletto, that might fix things. :hmm:

I would honestly walk in wedges first to get your feet used to heels. They are so much easier to walk in. Once you're used to it you can work your way up to a higher heel or try out different heels.

Speaking from experience I went ahead and walked in 5'' wedge booties and they were so comfortable, I was amazed. After that I tried out stilettos and 6-8" heels and had no problem walking in them.

Hope this helped, good luck.

I have read in quite a few articles that doing jump roping considerably helps your posture and your ability to walk with heels.. Don't quote me on that, though :p

This is a bit embarrassing to post, but I've never quite mastered walking in heels. My mom always chides me for walking so "heavy," and I always seem to get stuck in the cracks of the sidewalk, or wobble if the heel is a stiletto, even if it's a short 2-3". I took dance when I was younger, and have no issues walking in flats, so I thought I'd turn to you all to see what tips or tricks you might have. I wear a 2-3" heel every day to work, and am always banging them up or worrying about looking like I'm stomping. There's got to be something I'm missing! Should I go the old fashioned route and practice with a book on my head?

What are your best tips and tricks for walking in heels?

Watch this video it definitely helped me! Best of luck you can do it!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoXDrL1_rWc