Vintage thinspo and beautiful models of a bygone era!

tumblr_lmu6am92VI1qj6oujo1_500.jpg

Models backstage at Jean Muir in 1970 - One of them is Joanna Lumley

Penelope-Tree-by-Avedon_2.jpeg

Penelope+Tree+by+Avedon_4.jpeg

Penelope Tree

Love all these :luv: thank you for all the photos!

She's timeless, and such an inspiration. She still looks good! It's a great counter to all those people who say you have to gain weight as you get older.

Oh my gosh, you're so right. I did a little googling and apparently she still works from time to time? This is how I want to look at 80!
Carmen-Dell-Orefice.jpg

sweat, sweat Veruschka

The best- she was really tall. above 6'feet. (I have weakness fors so tall models, mostly because it is hard to see skinnies in height the same as me)

I also adore her flexibility! I find the strange stretching so stylisch and kitch when it is done by a skinny model girl. :luv:

Attachments

• 000000184510-veruschka_von_lehndorff-fullsize.jpg
    000000184510-veruschka_von_lehndorff-fullsize.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 112
  • 000000182197-veruschka_von_lehndorff-fullsize.jpg
    000000182197-veruschka_von_lehndorff-fullsize.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 120
  • tumblr_m2xrdzpqSM1r2bxaxo1_500.jpg
    tumblr_m2xrdzpqSM1r2bxaxo1_500.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 104
  • 1971.jpg
    1971.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 114
  • tumblr_mkhjmitG5F1qkrbvio1_500.jpg
    tumblr_mkhjmitG5F1qkrbvio1_500.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 107
The most intriguing thing about these pictures is that, at that time, there was no photoshop! So it's all real. Love it. Thank you guys!

apparently her waist was just 19inches :luv:

Skinny's just look so elegant and divine :luv: compared to.. :run:

marilyn-monroe-body_2.jpg
MARILYN-MONROE-SUBWAY-DRESS.jpg

The sad thing is, she still had about a 22" waist and 35" hips. Smaller than most Americans today, which always burns me up when people start going "But Marilyn was a size 14!" Yeah, a 14 in 1950.

It makes you wonder what the stats were for the real models back then. I'm guessing similar to now, and it's only that America has gotten so much fatter that the models look like they've gotten smaller (discounting the whole glamazon trend).

I was scouring the internet after the above post gave me some inspiration, and I found a website with measurements for some of the 1950's models, including everyones fave Dovima! It's not totally comprehensive but it's a start. :)
They're pretty interesting measurements, you can really tell that the hourglass aesthetic ruled the decade.

Reactions: 1 user
Top models of the 1960s - Jill Kennington, Sue Murray, Pattie Boyd, Celia Hammond, and Tania Mallet

Attachments

• topmodel.jpg
    topmodel.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 117
The most intriguing thing about these pictures is that, at that time, there was no photoshop! So it's all real. Love it. Thank you guys!
Yes! No mercy for girls like Palvin, where there's weight gain. :twisted:

I only just came across this thread and I have to say, thank you for sharing the pics, to all of your girls. :kiss: I love seeing collarbones and thin arms in a gorgeous vintage dress. :luv: And we all know for sure that if there's ever a costume party, a skinny girl could pull off these outfits best!

Actually, to add to that, I actually just wish everyone dressed up more and made more of an effort with these dresses nowadays. Seeing the outfit photos of the skinnies in this forum would be even more amazing if they wore chic gowns and coats. :lol:

There was, however, airbrushing though! Photographs would be repainted after being developed. But I suppose it would be harder to repaint an actual photograph than to photoshop onscreen, so most airbrushing was minimal, to cover flaws, smooth out a waist or fat rolls (smooth out, not obliterate), add more eyelashes etc and not like photoshop which can totally alter a body's proportions!

Yes! No mercy for girls like Palvin, where there's weight gain. :twisted:

:lol:

There was, however, airbrushing though! Photographs would be repainted after being developed. But I suppose it would be harder to repaint an actual photograph than to photoshop onscreen, so most airbrushing was minimal, to cover flaws, smooth out a waist or fat rolls (smooth out, not obliterate), add more eyelashes etc and not like photoshop which can totally alter a body's proportions!

O I didn't know that thanks for the info! :kiss:

I was scouring the internet after the above post gave me some inspiration, and I found a website with measurements for some of the 1950's models, including everyones fave Dovima! It's not totally comprehensive but it's a start. :)
They're pretty interesting measurements, you can really tell that the hourglass aesthetic ruled the decade.

Holy shit, Dovima had a 19'' waist?! (that may or not be my current thigh... shhh, it's a work in progress)

I'm guessing she was a naturally tiny tiny woman who enhanced that by some sort of waist training, because 19'' is insane. Whatever the case, :bow:

Indeed! This illustrates it nicely...
VT4CdSV.jpg