Vaganova Girls

I feel so much better seeing these beauties after reading the Hailey Baldwin/Half-Kardashian/Hadids/HaileeboBailee threads (I used to never look and I should probably go back to that since their threads undermine my entire life).
These girls are so gorgeous and have earned every bit of it.
Zach-Galifianakis.gif

And now I can continue to pretend that world in which I live is a meritocracy and hard work + talent + tiny bit of luck = $$$,$$$

• Agree
Reactions: 5 users
And now I can continue to pretend that world in which I live is a meritocracy and hard work + talent + tiny bit of luck = $$$,$$$
One thing that struck me in the videos is how Russians (even the ones I know irl) preach the American Dream dogma more than Americans these days.

One thing that struck me in the videos is how Russians (even the ones I know irl) preach the American Dream dogma more than Americans these days.
Wasn't the "American dream" originally about poor Europeans sailing to America (dangerous journey) to get some free/cheap land and building a life for yourself? In that case American dream = opportunity + hard work.
I think that's how most succesful people come about.
That's why I think the Hadid's or Jenners aren't living the American dream. They're just living the "rich parents" dream. Though with how many see them as role models instead of actual hardworking people, I think the American dream is seen as just about having things handed to you :facepalm:

So maybe we should start calling it the Russian dream instead?

Reactions: 3 users
That's why I think the Hadid's or Jenners aren't living the American dream. They're just living the "rich parents" dream.
I like "privileged" dream; I think this is one of the few correct applications of this word.
To those who love and admire the instawhores, how terrifying must their worlds be to know that--no matter what--they will never have what their idols have? Never. That's the message.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
I like "privileged" dream; I think this is one of the few correct applications of this word.
To those who love and admire the instawhores, how terrifying must their worlds be to know that--no matter what--they will never have what their idols have? Never. That's the message.
Maybe that's the point? That the lifestyle is unobtainable is maybe what makes it so alluring. Only a few people get to be Kardashians, however, with hard work you could be rich/famous in another manner. But since hard work is so... hard... it's easier to look up to someone you can never be instead of someone you could be, with work.
Why look up to people who got there from nothing (putting your own laziness in perspective) when you could look up to people that have always had everything?

(I hope this made sense. I'm having a hard time expressing myself today)

Reactions: 4 users
Why look up to people who got there from nothing (putting your own laziness in perspective) when you could look up to people that have always had everything?
Out of every attempt I've heard at explaining how the Kardashians exist, this makes the most sense.

Wasn't the "American dream" originally about poor Europeans sailing to America (dangerous journey) to get some free/cheap land and building a life for yourself? In that case American dream = opportunity + hard work.
I think that's how most succesful people come about.
That, plus this whole idea of "pulling yourself up by your bootstraps," the idea that even if you're poor, the meritocracy of America will reward you or your children with upward mobility if you just keep working hard. The way the economy is right now, very few people really believe in it (which becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy, but I won't get into that). I feel like the Kardashian fame is definitely related somehow to the fact that people today have totally given up hope, but I can't quite articulate it.

Reactions: 1 user
Out of every attempt I've heard at explaining how the Kardashians exist, this makes the most sense.

That, plus this whole idea of "pulling yourself up by your bootstraps," the idea that even if you're poor, the meritocracy of America will reward you or your children with upward mobility if you just keep working hard. The way the economy is right now, very few people really believe in it (which becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy, but I won't get into that). I feel like the Kardashian fame is definitely related somehow to the fact that people today have totally given up hope, but I can't quite articulate it.
Reality TV now is certainly more about rich people being weird, but I vaguely recall reality TV in the 90s being more about the "everyday man". So you're probably right.
To go back to ballerinas I then wonder why Black Swan did so well, with all this in mind. Maybe people secretly admire hard work?
Unless people took it to mean that hard work will destroy you in the end :eyeroll:

When people don't see any prospects in their future, they want to escape into fantasy, and when they despair, they don't want to be told to pull themselves together and try harder; they want to feel better about themselves by gawping at freaks.

Found this weird old Vaganova video

And some much needed updates:
Anna Shishanova, 16

Stanislava Postnova (Bolshoi girl, not Vaganova)

Maria Khoreva, 16 (I think)

Daria Ionova, 16 (I think)

• Love
Reactions: 6 users

I keep watching this and can't figure it out :confused:

:(

As I read her Instagram captions, I can't help but be amazed by her maturity. So well-spoken, so wise. It's refreshing.

And of course, she's beautiful, graceful, skinny, talented, etc. I can't even be jealous of her, because she's earned and deserves every bit of (if not MORE) the success that she's achieved.

This is Darian Volkova.
She's a dancer and a photographer.

She shoots a lot of Vaganova girls as well as Perm and Bolshoi (I think).

Maria Khoreva

Daria Iovona

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
As I read her Instagram captions, I can't help but be amazed by her maturity. So well-spoken, so wise. It's refreshing.

And of course, she's beautiful, graceful, skinny, talented, etc. I can't even be jealous of her, because she's earned and deserves every bit of (if not MORE) the success that she's achieved.
Her dedication really speaks through in her captions too which just makes it so much better and well deserved

• Agree
Reality TV now is certainly more about rich people being weird, but I vaguely recall reality TV in the 90s being more about the "everyday man". So you're probably right.
To go back to ballerinas I then wonder why Black Swan did so well, with all this in mind. Maybe people secretly admire hard work?
Unless people took it to mean that hard work will destroy you in the end :eyeroll:
I missed this but it's an interesting point. In Black Swan (and elsewhere) Natalie Portman's hard working, talented, and beautiful character is insane (and perhaps only motivated by "approval"--not a passion for her art) while Mila Kunis' and Wynona Ryder's characters cheated to gain success, presumably, by sleeping with the artistic director. There are very few examples in contemporary art, by my observation, of people who work hard, applying their talent and beauty, and achieve success.

• Agree
12 year old more disciplined than 99.9% of girls at my uni

:luvluv:

Screen Shot 2017-02-24 at 8.09.06 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-02-24 at 8.09.44 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-02-24 at 8.11.57 AM.png

Last edited:
  • Love
Two favorites Daria Ionova and Maria Khoreva in the front of this adagio combination looking lovely

I love Yana even though she ruins my self esteem.

I just found out/realized she's the girl from the Vaganova documentary who was waitlisted for being too short because her height was stunted by gymnastics or something. I'm so so glad she got in (I can't remember if they told us in the documentary or not?) and is doing so well!

I remember she worked crazy hard. :luvluv:

• Love

I would so much prefer to see girls like this in Reebok ads. (I mean I still find the leggings horrible, especially compared to the usual beautiful ballet outfits, but at least I'll watch the ad now)

To look this graceful on the beach :inluv:

and descending the stairs. :luvluv:

It looks painful as hell but also stuff like this is so motivational for me and puts my own *my calf hurts a little and I feel too tired to exercise* whining into perspective.

I don't have anything insightful to say about these posts but I'm really enjoying seeing the thread updated - it's wonderfully inspiring and although I never did any ballet myself, I always love seeing accomplished dancers at work; it's fascinating. So thanks @bingeonvogue :inluv:

• Love