• You can now apply for Skinny Gossip membership online. Click here to begin.
  • We are getting a lot more membership applications than we expected. Be patient while we work through the pile. DO NOT submit a second application!!

Vaganova Girls

Alya

Rising Star
Reaction score
Sorry to drag this thread from the dead, but an update on some of the graduates:
  • Maria Bulanova: Mariinsky
  • Daria Ionova: Mariinsky
  • Anastasia Nuykina: Mariinsky
  • Maria Khoreva: Mariinsky
I know Daria Ionova has a thread on here and maybe Maria Khoreva too?
Here's all four of them looking lovely after the Nijinsky Gala
vbagrads.jpg

Pynchonesque

Rising Star
Reaction score
I'm glad for the resurrection, @Alya - I've always enjoyed this thread, but been a little intimidated about joining in as I feel like an imposter (my relationship with ballet is at the bottom in a self-indulgent ramble). I figured I'd post this here, it's a very good documentary and features a lot of Diana Vishneva, who I adore:

More Diana:

She's an icon of grace and makes extreme effort look completely effortless.

Ballet is an important part of my life, although I'm not training. My Mother was a Vaganova girl, but went to London in the 70s. She was desperate for me to go (apparently I have the physical requirements for the method, hypermobility and my turnout is naturally at 180 - so you can imagine her muttering and ranting 'could've been such a beautiful dancer'), but my Father wouldn't let her send me.
Regardless of that, I was brought up with a sincere respect for the discipline (and enjoyment for the personal stories involving Nureyev ;]) and above most ways of life it's one I'm most enthusiastic about - you can imagine what it was like growing up with my Mother, right? I wouldn't change it for anything, it's a perspective unlike any other.

Alya

Rising Star
Reaction score
Maria Khoreva has already been promoted to first soloist, which is crazy given she joined the company just a few months ago. Here's a recent interview with here that some of you might find interesting. I know some here used to be dancers and has to stop due to injury (17:48 to 18:18 particularly hit home for me) and it shows the passion that goes into their work

Her, Anastasia Nuykina, and Daria Ionova looking goregous in NYC this past week