Unconventional Jewelry Favorites

Jan 31, 2018
We all know about the classics - a string or two of pearls, a pair of diamond studs or drops, etc, but what are your unconventional favorites? Is there a semiprecious gemstone you love so much you'd pick it over diamonds any day? A casual modern or artsy vintage style that speaks to you? An independent jewelry designer you follow religiously?

My current love is baroque pearls. They're technically the "trash" of the pearl world - everything that's not perfectly round. I adore them. Each one is unique, they're beautifully imperfect, and sometimes they look so warped they're downright creepy. I think they're fascinating. I have a string of lavender baroque pearls that fluctuate slightly in colour - some are deeper than others, some have more of a rose tint to them - and they look like a pearlescent sunset.

What are your favorites?

fe2dbd2cbf81ba9a6d17dba1f2ef6544--baroque-pearls-pearl-rings.jpg
productimg1279115889269.jpg
images (20).jpeg
0000026213_0000067599.jpg
3d9b7f83da45f059f22a6462c8fd2021.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
I'm going to add my current personal favorite designer at the moment: https://sheilafleet.com

I discovered Sheila Fleet while on vacation in Edinburgh. She used to work for Ortak, won a few European jewelry design awards, and opened her own studio in the Orkney islands. Everything she designs is based on the Orkney landscape. Some are clunker than others, but these are my favorites. The first set is ridiculously elegant and flattering, and the waterfall-looking Cascade blue earrings curve around the jawline perfectly. :luvluv:

SPXX155 Silver Moonstone TIDAL.jpg
SEX155 Silver Moonstone TIDAL.jpg
ENXX150_CASCADE_BLUE_Default_large_74dcbc9b-ecb5-4d7e-b7af-390ff6ff6432_1024x1024.jpg
download (2).jpeg
images (21).jpeg
9530e00c0ec8269564cad509edd70587--pretty-rings-beautiful-rings.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Cute thread! I personally love opals and moonstone; I really love a little gold chain with a pendant too, to wear layered with a shorter or choker style thin chain or under clothes. As for designers, I really like Pamela love for precious/semi precious stones, and for more casual jewelry, I like Double Disco, Sorrelle (NYC brand), and Shihara jewelry. For casual stuff, Verameat is really cute, and I like Cult Gaia for enamel earrings.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm not a huge jewelry person (I usually just stick to sterling silver basics) but I'm obsessed with creepy jewelry: tiny bone earrings, skull rings, my tooth on a gold necklace, vintage lockets with old photos inside, anything with crystals, and my ultimate favorite is my necklace with a dolls eye attached that rolls when you move. I know it's not everyones cup of tea but sry I can't help it the spooky life chose me~

• Love
  • Funny
Reactions: 5 users
I'm not a huge jewelry person (I usually just stick to sterling silver basics) but I'm obsessed with creepy jewelry: tiny bone earrings, skull rings, my tooth on a gold necklace, vintage lockets with old photos inside, anything with crystals, and my ultimate favorite is my necklace with a dolls eye attached that rolls when you move. I know it's not everyones cup of tea but sry I can't help it the spooky life chose me~
You'd love Susan Elnora.
Her stuff's just a little off, but definitely in that creepy/cool vibe:
2.tiny+unicorn+necklace%2C+sterling+with+18ky+and+oxidized+chain%2C+close+up.jpg

I’m allergic to most jewelry so sadly I do not own much, but I fall for anything with amethysts. I have several gold chains (I can only wear 24 karat gold and above) with a simple stone hanging off. I find them super elegant. It also helps that they are my birth stone.

Im obsessed with margo raffaelli. Her jewely treads a fine line between gawdy and unique sometimes. Some of her stuff is too far out for me but even her bad stuff is still stunning from an artistic standpoint.
40C24A9C-7A72-4D7E-8544-5DC29487E712.jpeg
B4B6C4B2-2288-43B5-871C-2E6D367CE5AB.jpeg
9A78C625-93FF-4BC0-A345-6CD01993AC50.jpeg
29402AB6-F826-49AE-B714-06A74327812E.jpeg

09293973-76F7-4305-B4ED-6DCE8C6C5F6C.jpeg

5EE2FD13-2AD2-49E7-A0B2-8D37E3300E42.jpeg

These last few i would never wear but i would hang up in my house and stare at them forever
F3787A5D-D534-45B4-9ABC-59D22097FAE5.jpeg
032FE3D7-7AC7-40C7-B05C-7BE367F6224C.jpeg

Theyre like wearable sculptures

Attachments

• 8235E2DF-EA49-46AE-8233-E75A312707A1.jpeg
    8235E2DF-EA49-46AE-8233-E75A312707A1.jpeg
    148.1 KB · Views: 92
  • Love
Reactions: 2 users
this in no way a personal insult but the second I saw your post I got serious Amber Skye Forbes flashbacks....:hyper:
I'm insulted but only because my super funny joke didn't land. I seriously thought Betsey Johnson went under years ago? Idk I never liked it, the thread just gave me Amber Skye Forbes flashbacks and I had to say it to remind everyone else of her.

(Also, fun learning experience for any new people who haven't heard of her, read the Betsey Johnson thread in the Jewelry section please)

• Funny
  • Agree
Reactions: 9 users
I'm insulted but only because my super funny joke didn't land. I seriously thought Betsey Johnson went under years ago? Idk I never liked it, the thread just gave me Amber Skye Forbes flashbacks and I had to say it to remind everyone else of her.

(Also, fun learning experience for any new people who haven't heard of her, read the Betsey Johnson thread in the Jewelry section please)
I love the fact we all still remember forbes-gate like 2 years on

• Agree
Reactions: 7 users

This brand is a little expensive but less so than any high end jewelry. When I read your post I knew you needed to see this.

https://www.bloodmilkjewels.com/collections

• Love

I know that Amber Skye Forbes was supposedly her real name but I always had a theory that it's an 'author name' she gave herself because she thought it sounded romantic or something.

• Agree

I know that Amber Skye Forbes was supposedly her real name but I always had a theory that it's an 'author name' she gave herself because she thought it sounded romantic or something.
I definitely stumbled across that thread and took some time to read it.
:drama:

I wasn't even a registered member during forbes-gated corset of 25", but I read it all on here in my coffee breaks, and ever since Betsey Johnson has been haunting me with her cartwheels.

As for unconventional jewellery? For my tastes, nothing beats an old roach cigarette holder necklace.

Practical, understated and some are made from 'precious' metals; finding them (nice ones, at least) is fairly difficult, so that also gives them an air of exclusivity which as we all know, is very covetable.

Nnw8mX2m.jpg

• Love
Does this count as jewelry? I've been lusting over this Public School Fitbit Alta band for a year now, ever since I saw it on a casting director's wrist, and one magically popped up on eBay this morning for $80. No idea why it was so cheap - fingers crossed that it really is brand new.

simple.b-cssdisabled-jpg.h17069652df3793858237972f495b88b4.jpeg
images (26).jpeg

The masculine size, clean lines, negative space, simple styling...I love it so much. I like being a super feminine lady with long hair, natural makeup, heels, etc. who wears sleek masculine styles. It gives me a fun, weird feeling of power, for whatever reason.

• Love
This is a Victorian mini silver chain mail purse I purchased a month ago and I must say it is quite unconventional. It has a loop for a chain to wear as a necklace, and I promise you it looks good!

upload_2018-7-12_10-44-45.jpeg

• Love
"Baby Vamp" ring set from Bittersweets NY - I love it but the teeth do get caught on stuff and sometimes scratch things (like my face) when they get turned around
bvrsilver.jpg

Penny ring - the band says "penny for your thoughts", I wear it on my middle finger, and I get a lot of compliments/comments on it.
il_570xN.192533553.jpg

Earthworm bracelet from Bittersweets NY (they no longer make it) - other than my engagement ring which was custom made and is totally nontraditional, this maybe my favorite piece of jewelry, it's solid and I love the weight.
worm01.jpg
worm02.jpg

Reactions: 2 users