Tumblr's "Perfect Weight" Chart

I don't even know if I have a small frame or not. x.x I'm as tall as @fuhhletch is, and our weight is pretty much the same, but I look WAY fatter... lol.

Is their some sort of way to calculate if you have a small frame or not?

I read somewhere that you can calculate your frame by the circumference of your wrist.

http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/fsz

It's telling me that I have a medium frame, which makes sense because some of my bones stick out at my CW (hips, collarbones, slight xylophone)

EDIT: I just checked, I'm really borderline medium frame for my height. My wrist is a 1/4 inch larger than the "small frame" requirement

Last edited by a moderator:
I read somewhere that you can calculate your frame by the circumference of your wrist.

http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/fsz

It's telling me that I have a medium frame, which makes sense because some of my bones stick out at my CW (hips, collarbones, slight xylophone)

EDIT: I just checked, I'm really borderline medium frame for my height. My wrist is a 1/4 inch larger than the "small frame" requirement

Yeah, I don't think it's accurate. I have supersmall wrists but huge hips and my bones portrude easily.

Yeah, I don't think it's accurate. I have supersmall wrists but huge hips and my bones portrude easily.

I agree - and if you gain weight, don't your wrists get bigger too? Like, an obese person with small bones would have a bigger wrist size than a skinny person with big bones.

So I saw this picture on Tumblr when I was creeping on some random blog...

tumblr_mbns1xf70Z1rhr382o1_400_large.jpg

I know the footnote says "solely on personal preference of a mind of an anorexic"... but I think the "Plain Thin" stats are actual about right, and you definitely can achieve them without starving yourself. Maybe the "Bones" stats are the absolute minimum weight I'd personally want to be.

I have zero intention of even getting close to 87lbs, let alone 82lbs. I know that's not sustainable for me, period. Been there, done that, have the hospital bracelet to show for it. I have to lose muscle mass to get that far, I feel miserable, my mind is not well. It's not a place I'll personally go again.

There are lots of charts like this on tumblr based on people's opinions. I don't think you should feel bad if you don't fit into it. Here are some other examples, some that involve body frame like @aliie mentioned:

They all claim to be a "healthy weight" chart but they all differ

tumblr_m9sy6mngKh1rczmy0o1_500.jpg

tumblr_m2e8e8h2Ie1rt44a1o1_400.gif
I'm already below the minimums on these ones, it didn't feel right to me yet.

99lbs is just a hair higher than my goal, and close to where I'm at now. I'm not unhappy here, but I know I can do more. Not much, but something.

Nope and nope.

I think my "ideal" is about 95-98lbs, but I'll make a decision once I get there. I'm basically trying to go as low as I can while still preserving muscle mass that I need, though, so my thought process to that decision may be different than some of yours, too. Ultimately, I think the "ideal" lies where one can feel good and also be happy with their bodies.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
A response on Tumblr:

tumblr_mls4ptZmFa1recxzao1_500.png

I like the original chart better. :nervous:

Ha I have no idea why but this reminded me of that line in the help - "You is kind. You is smart. You is important."

As to the original and other charts I really do think it varies based on frame and how much of that weight is muscle. At a little over 5'9 the bones is pretty close to my gw. But then again right now I'm ~110 (I don't weigh myself very often because we don't have a scale in my house) and I look skinny fat. You really can't see any of my bones and I don't build muscle easily at all.

My current goal weight is just below the lowest small-frame weight on most of the frame-based charts, 130lbs at 5'10" - although I have at least a medium frame. I also have a lot of muscle mass from dancing and can't lose that since I'm still dancing as my career, so I don't think the "plain thin" weight of 111lbs is going to happen. Maybe I should reevaluate and make 130lbs my first goal weight, and make something more along the lines of 120lbs my ultimate goal weight? I guess it's just hard to guess how I'll look at those weights now that I've hit puberty :lol:

I'm 5'11 with a small frame and most of those charts say a healthy weight for me is 135lbs at the lowest. That is way too large. I have only weighed that much when heavily pregnant and the minute my daughters were out my body shed the weight itself until around 126lbs which is when I have to start actually trying to lose weight. That, to me, says that I am not naturally meant to be near 135lbs. I have pics of me around that weight and it's not pretty. The first chart says 115lbs to be plain thin and I agree with that, I'm close to that now and whilst nobody would call me large, nobody but the fattest would call me skinny. At 107lbs I think I would definitely look skinny but I doubt that's possible for me. I'm aiming for 109lbs right now, not actually knowing if I can get there. The lowest I've been post baby is 115 so maybe it is impossible to do it without making myself very ill.

I do think frame comes into it, a lot of women my height would look skeletal at my current weight, because they have larger frames. It's only due to my very small frame that I still look chubby. All the doctors I've ever had have agreed with me that with my slight frame I do not need to be 130lbs+ to be healthy. They have never expressed concern over my weight and, if anything, seem pleased that I take care to remain at a manageable, albeit low weight.

I'm 5'11 with a small frame and most of those charts say a healthy weight for me is 135lbs at the lowest. That is way too large. I have only weighed that much when heavily pregnant and the minute my daughters were out my body shed the weight itself until around 126lbs which is when I have to start actually trying to lose weight. That, to me, says that I am not naturally meant to be near 135lbs. I have pics of me around that weight and it's not pretty. The first chart says 115lbs to be plain thin and I agree with that, I'm close to that now and whilst nobody would call me large, nobody but the fattest would call me skinny. At 107lbs I think I would definitely look skinny but I doubt that's possible for me. I'm aiming for 109lbs right now, not actually knowing if I can get there. The lowest I've been post baby is 115 so maybe it is impossible to do it without making myself very ill.

I do think frame comes into it, a lot of women my height would look skeletal at my current weight, because they have larger frames. It's only due to my very small frame that I still look chubby. All the doctors I've ever had have agreed with me that with my slight frame I do not need to be 130lbs+ to be healthy. They have never expressed concern over my weight and, if anything, seem pleased that I take care to remain at a manageable, albeit low weight.

This is probably a really stupid question, but how do you tell your frame size? I know there's that wrist measurement thing, but honestly that doesn't really help because won't skinny people have small wrists anyways?

I've done a lot of thought on this and on a scale of extra small, small, small medium, medium, medium large, large, and extra large, I think I'm a small medium. I have tiny wrists so I don't think that's a good indicator, I have narrow hands and long skinny fingers as well. I think it just takes a little intuition, comparison, and observation to tell what your general size is. anything "extra" (as in extra small or extra large) is more rare, but being in between is pretty common I think. Frame doesn't indicate whether you're fat or skinny, you can look skinny at any frame.

The first chart made me out to be fat, then I'm too skinny compared to all the others :lol:

It's a nice combination of blunt motivation and a self-esteem boost!

These charts all say that I should be 118-120 at a MINIMUM? I have my period all the way down to 104 lbs (or even less sometimes) and I have never been above 115 at this height and was eating at least 1500 calories a day (healthy and balanced, but still) I think it's kind of funny how fatties preach that there is 'fat discrimination' when in reality, being 10 pounds over the barrier for 'ideal' weight won't be alarming to most people, but the moment you're 10 pounds under the low barrier--straight to a hospital/therapy/counseling/feeding clinic :nopity:

This is probably a really stupid question, but how do you tell your frame size? I know there's that wrist measurement thing, but honestly that doesn't really help because won't skinny people have small wrists anyways?

It's not a stupid question, knowing your frame size is part measurements and part intuition. It's the size of your bones and even when overweight most people's wrists won't expand to the same extent as the rest of them. My mother is about 50lbs overweight but her wrists are still quite small. There are calculators you can use and they take into account your gender, height, weight and wrist circumference to give you your frame size.

This is a good one. :)http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/fsz

I think it entirely depends on the person and should be taken with a grain of salt, but funnily enough, at 5'6" 99lb is my goal weight. :oops:

Funnily enough, my lowest weight was 93lbs at 5''4, and it was pretty perfect...

My current goal weight is just below the lowest small-frame weight on most of the frame-based charts, 130lbs at 5'10" - although I have at least a medium frame. I also have a lot of muscle mass from dancing and can't lose that since I'm still dancing as my career, so I don't think the "plain thin" weight of 111lbs is going to happen. Maybe I should reevaluate and make 130lbs my first goal weight, and make something more along the lines of 120lbs my ultimate goal weight? I guess it's just hard to guess how I'll look at those weights now that I've hit puberty :lol:

Perhaps use body fat % as an indicator instead? Just to give you an idea, I'm the same height as you and weighed under 130lbs for a body fat % of less than 15% but have gone lower than 112lbs whilst pretty fit without any negative effects.

Perhaps use body fat % as an indicator instead? Just to give you an idea, I'm the same height as you and weighed under 130lbs for a body fat % of less than 15% but have gone lower than 112lbs whilst pretty fit without any negative effects.
How did you measure your body fat %? Calipers? I've never had my body fat % accurately measured, which is why I haven't used it to track my progress. I tend to focus more on measurements than pounds, but they change so much more slowly than the scale haha

I actually think this chart doesn't even work on tiny bone frames like mine o.o
According to it I'd have to be at ~102 to be "bones"... That's not even CLOSE to bones for my frame. To look "too thin" I'd probably have to be around 90/95...

If I were the writer of the chart, instead of putting "plain thin" and "bones", I'd've put "thin" and "skinny." IMO if your weight is the one in the last column, you are definitely skinny. Some may need to lose a little more to get to their perfect super skinny weight though, especially those with small frames.

How did you measure your body fat %? Calipers? I've never had my body fat % accurately measured, which is why I haven't used it to track my progress. I tend to focus more on measurements than pounds, but they change so much more slowly than the scale haha

I had it measured at the gym. I don't know how accurate it is but it can show patterns. You can also get it measured accurately for about a tenner at uni sports centres sometimes- I know the university of Derby has a place where you can have your body fat analysed.

If I were the writer of the chart, instead of putting "plain thin" and "bones", I'd've put "thin" and "skinny." IMO if your weight is the one in the last column, you are definitely skinny. Some may need to lose a little more to get to their perfect super skinny weight though, especially those with small frames.

Agreed. I am one of those girls, I have a very small frame and in order to look how I'd like to, I need to drop down a bit lower to see good results.