Topshop - Generous or mean?

N

Ningyo

Do you find the sizes in Topshop tend to run small or large? I always thought they ran a bit on the small size, but today I was trying on some dresses in a size 6 :party: and they were all a bit on the large size (talk about a mega confidence boost though - I'm too small for Topshop :highfive: )

But I guess if they're running bigger now, it's not such an achievement. Still please to be in an easy 6 though :grin: :grin:

definite issue of vanity sizing. the size 6's in there are also too loose for me. i just dont buy from there now haha.
asos are quite good with sizes but sometimes have been a bit big.

I used to think they ran on the small size til I started trying on their size 6 clothes too - if it's a top or a dress it fits easily... almost loosely :/ jeans I can get away with a 25/26" when some shops I have to get a 10 instead. Inclined to say they are being a little too generous - I'd rather they didn't stroke people's egos and just were honest >< a little incentive to stay active and healthy to fit into your clothes is always good!

Their clothes probably come from a dozen different manufacturers, so I expect it just depends on which line you pick up.

Reading their reviews in their online store, it seems to vary. On one hand you have pants that are meant to be slim cut that aren't and on the other you have tops that are supposedly so small you need to go 2 sizes above what you would normally (rarer though; incidents such as this appear to be an issue of poor construction such as a too-short zip or the like rather than the actual measurements).

Any shirts I've purchased online (even from the petite section in a 4 where length wasn't an issue) have been volumous on me.

Yay, vanity sizing :rolleyes:

I used to be a manager in the Dublin flagship store so I know the clothes inside and out. Their sizes have always and will always be bigger fitting.

It's a definite case of vanity sizing :rolleyes: There was a conscious decision made about this and the sizing was fazed in very slowly. A clever business move but unfair on smaller girls

It's a definite case of vanity sizing :rolleyes: There was a conscious decision made about this and the sizing was fazed in very slowly. A clever business move but unfair on smaller girls

That's true, it's unfair to thin girls since the clothes will be loose.

Tailorrrrringgggg ;)

Either learning how to zip something in yourself or paying a little to have something taken in to fit how it's actually meant to is most definitely worth it :)

I never actually thought of that. My mom can sew so I can always ask her! Thank you :)

Tailorrrrringgggg ;)

Either learning how to zip something in yourself or paying a little to have something taken in to fit how it's actually meant to is most definitely worth it :)
This! :) except with fast fashion stuff you may want to be careful with tailoring your clothes since a lot of the clothes won't last :(

And seriously... vanity sizing :hmm:

Tailorrrrringgggg ;)

That's exactly what I do (adapt my own clothes to fit), but I totally resent this in cheap clothes (I know this doesn't exactly make sense, cos obviously if they're cheap they'll be less well made) - I feel like 'Jeez, I'm not asking for the Earth here - you're made of scummy fabric and the seams barely hold together, the least you can do is actually fit on my body without me practically having to re-make you from scratch!' :meh:. It's like I'm paying for the privilege of spending my afternoon doing the manufacturer's work for them. If something's costing me proper money I can justify the investment of time and energy in getting it to fit just right, because I'll be keeping that piece for years and love wearing it, but when it's just like I need to wear clothes so I guess I'll get this...

Generous. Too big, the jeans are huge and the tops are big. I avoid topshop because I've found the quality pretty rubbish.