Top Model or Moneymaker

What type of modeling career would you prefer to have?

• Commercial

Votes: 16 30.8%
  • High Fashion

Votes: 36 69.2%

• Total voters

Allie

Worker Bee
Mar 18, 2012
Toronto
An interesting dichotomy has existed in the fashion world since the Death of the Supermodel between the modelling elite (the high fashion models) and the commerical girls, who have less respect, but typically make far more money. There is some crossover between the two (i.e. Vlada for Target, Candice for i-D but generally, very few people do both very successfully (arguably the most recent one who did was Gisele)). In fact, if you compre model.coms Top 50 Models list, which tends to lean more towards HF, and the Moneymakers, which is pure income pulled, there is shockingly little lateral movement between the two (Abbey Lee is actually one of the only ones that is represented on both).

So, my question to you guys is, what would you rather have? The prestige of high fashion, or the exposure and money associated with top commercial work? (Let's assume, for argument's sake, you can't cross over, it's either strictly one or the other).

I've listed some common associations, pros/cons to either below:

High Fashion: Vogue/i-D editorials galore, a few blue chip campaigns with lower circulation, staple of the fashion week catwalks, opportunity to work with true artists (top photographers, stylists designers), associated with: luxury, exclusivity, diversity, artistic integrity and freedom, celebrated in the fashion world BUT only passingly recognized by the masses and paid well but not extraordinarily so, with little recognizable brand power of your own outside of fashion circles, you're more at the mercy of those you work with, little autonomy/say of your own, "just a mannequin/clothes hanger" (plus you must maintain an ultra-skinny physique as your career depends on it).

vs.

Commercial: Victoria’s Secret catalogues, Sports Illustrated eds, big H&M-type campaigns with huge exposure, your own cult following and far-reaching, autonomous brand image and therefore wield a bit more personal power/have more input, generally known by the public, (plus you have a little bit more physical leeway - can gain a bit and not drop off the face of the earth) and you earn the big bucks BUT do not garner as much respect or status within fashion circles, less prestige, little opportunity to work with truly gifted created types, forced to be a commercial prop “brand ambassador”-type a lot, shoot same type of work all the time, little diversity (smile, look pretty, and arch your back with hand on hip!), always pushing a product, no art for art’s sake, “sell-out”.

I'd probably go for high fashion, because if I were a model, I would do what I love, not whatever makes the most money. I'd rather do fun, original and prestigious work than something boring, generic and well-paid.

I'm not saying that high fashion is easier AT ALL, I'd just gain so much more satisfaction out of being booked by amazing magazines and companies with a big artistic reputation, that are well-known for only booking the best of the best, rather than being another pretty model who doesn't do anything prestigious but has a fat bank account.

I clicked commercial by accident because my laptop has phantom cursor virus:mad: But my real vote goes to high fashion because high fashion is like art. I have seen some runway shows which have totally taken my breath away, moved me with their intense beauty, the genius and effort that has gone in to the artistry of them. To be involved in this would be a blessing.

I think I'd rather be a commercial model! The more money is definitely appealing and I think there's more longetivity in commercial modelling? You can be a bit older and still work a lot, wheres in high fashion I think it's harder to book jobs as you get passed a certain age. I also think there are probably more opportunities for commercial models, eg you could end up like Jennifer Hawkins and host a modelling or fashion TV show. Though I suppose it would be harder to branch out into proper acting?

I'd be interested to hear what some of the VIPs say :)

haha I see you got inspired to create your own ''this or that'' poll :p

It's actually quite a toughie.

I would go for commercial, because you have to admit, money is good. There's a lot more freedom, and ultimately, even though the prestige of HF would be amazing to have, commercial work, and the money and freedom to gain that comes with it, leaves you more satisfied on the long-run, I guess.

But its hard

Reactions: 1 user
I choose high fashion. This is because more high fashion models can also do commercial, whereas commercial models don't really convert to HF. HF ends up giving you more of a chance to do both, and that way you can have a chance at the big bucks but experience first what your heart is really into. When your time in HF is coming to a close, you can probably still get commercial work. Another reason: I want all the HF couture!! When I'd get to keep stuff/get paid in clothes, I'd want Prabal and McQueen and Packham - not a VS PINK tracksuit ;)

I choose high fashion. This is because more high fashion models can also do commercial, whereas commercial models don't really convert to HF. HF ends up giving you more of a chance to do both, and that way you can have a chance at the big bucks but experience first what your heart is really into. When your time in HF is coming to a close, you can probably still get commercial work. Another reason: I want all the HF couture!! When I'd get to keep stuff/get paid in clothes, I'd want Prabal and McQueen and Packham - not a VS PINK tracksuit ;)

I would have chosen HF as well for this reason, but @Allie said ''(Let's assume, for argument's sake, you can't cross over, it's either strictly one or the other)''

Last edited by a moderator:
High fashion, without a doubt. Status and prestige matter the most to me. And I think of commercial models as boring, cookie-cutter, vapid, and appealing to the lowest common denominator....whereas HF models seem beautiful, unique, worldly, elite, and also seem more intelligent (probably bc they dont spend their entire day making duck-faces and sticking their butts out in ridiculous poses).

Reactions: 1 user
This is such a good question, had me thinking! High fashion for me. The idea of walking in Chanel, Lanvin, Marc Jacobs... :luvluv: beats Victoria's Secret any time!

High fashion. End of debate.

I don't care about money, I want to enjoy my work - if I have to look like a fatty while making ridiculous duck faces into the camera so that old perverted men can wank over me... I highly doubt I would enjoy that! :lol:

cash money bitch. :cool:
-No but in reality as much as i love high fashion and the idea of the prestige really excites me I don't know thats it is really a viable career in the end unless you make it to the very, very top. And I'm materialistic so sue me.

Interesting question @Allie. Would you rather wear Prada on the runway or be able to buy Prada yourself?

I had to choose HF as the prestige is certainly very appealing and I personally like it better, but only in a situation in which I had the opportunity to open couture shows and front lucrative blue chip campaigns. If I could be guaranteed to work with people like Tim Walker or meet the likes of Anna Wintour and Grace Coddington then yes, I would choose HF without doubt.

But being realistic, the market for HF is too competitive, and it is doubtful that I would ever be able to meet the talented people I admire. So if we are talking about real life, I’d most likely pick commercial, and therefore financial security. If you’re a model and you refuse a L’Oreal beauty contract or a GAP campaign because ”you have loved and dreamed of being a catwalk model all your life and would never degrade yourself to commercial level” then I think you are either very delusional about yourself or very stupid. Sorry, not sorry. But as a HF model your career will most likely end in less than a decade and it’s doubtful that by that time you’ve made enough money to sustain yourself later on.

Let’s not be dismissive of the work of commercial models either. Just because they aren’t walking PFW or look like aliens doesn’t mean that they’re not hardworking or beautiful. Of course, if the question was whether you would want to look like an HF or commercial girl then I think the answer is obvious ;), but both kinds CAN be beautiful and interesting.
Obviously the best kind of model is the one that has versatility (I know, I know, only pick one), all household names have done both high fashion and commercial: Kate, Naomi, Gisele, Natalia, Adriana, Natasha, etc.

So basically, I would like to be a HF model if success was guaranteed, and a commercial model if we’re being realistic. Because being a realist, I don’t think I’d ever be happy without a closet full of Lanvin and Valentino money and security for the future. :grin:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users
I'd rather sell my look for the sake of Dior than Forever 21 ;)

I know commercial is where a lot of the huge sums of money are at, but HF has the aesthetic I find alluring. Also, high fashion has a creative and artistic aspect which I would much prefer to surround myself with over some Target and VS catalogue. :superpuke:

Although only a select number of high fashion models ever get huge sums of money, I think if I were a HF model I would try to find another job in the HF industry in the future anyway.

Side note: Is this ever a real life problem for someone?
My guess is most models just fall into either the HF or commercial category when they start out, right?

If you’re a model and you refuse a L’Oreal beauty contract or a GAP campaign because ”you have loved and dreamed of being a catwalk model all your life and would never degrade yourself to commercial level” then I think you are either very delusional about yourself or very stupid.
:lol: :nod: I think any newface in HF would die (not literally) for a L'Oreal contract... unless they like to refuse $$$

Purely aesthetically and if the money did not play a role (or I wouldn't need it because I was already well off enough), I'd prefer to be a high fashion model. On the other hand, in the real world, when confronted with two different cheques, I'd probably just pick the higher one (as would majority of people I think). It's important to do what you love, but either way it's still fashion, you still get the glamour and recognition, and both commercial and hf are hard work, so why not get paid better for it.

I wish I could say high fashion but I have to say commercial. At the end of the day modeling is a job and I would want to reap in the financial benefits of my job.
I will always respect high fashion models more but cash talks I guess--I don't think I could personally pass up a lucrative career that Victoria's Secret models have