Tips on submitting to an agency?

It’s me again sorry :supershame:. I just have sooo many questions. How long are models usually in development? And do agents usually ship the girls out to castings for whatever show season is around the corner instantly after getting signed? Like if I got signed any day now and they felt like my body was ready and my walk was good too would they send me on my way for this season or would I need some development before that?

It’s me again sorry :supershame:. I just have sooo many questions. How long are models usually in development? And do agents usually ship the girls out to castings for whatever show season is around the corner instantly after getting signed? Like if I got signed any day now and they felt like my body was ready and my walk was good too would they send me on my way for this season or would I need some development before that?

This honestly such a case by case thing.. but if you’re not already signed to an agency chances are slimmer than you are... but I’m working in a different market so @FashionThin would be able to give a more accurate answer.

• Funny
  • Agree
  • Love
Reactions: 3 users
This honestly such a case by case thing.. but if you’re not already signed to an agency chances are slimmer than you are... but I’m working in a different market so @FashionThin would be able to give a more accurate answer.
FWIW my agency says girls are typically in development for ~10 months to one year, no less. Sometimes more than 14 months, but typically only if the girl is really young and/or still in school.

• Useful
  • Agree
Reactions: 5 users

Yes, I honestly think it depends on the girl and her situation. If she is doing it part time or full time. I have been signed with an agency since last September and after submitting my availabilit for countless jobs/castings, I FINALLY booked a show for Western Canada Fashion Week at the end of March. I mean I like to always be in a development/beginners mindset, and you are always learning something no matter how long you have been in the industry. I seriously have been keeping my head down for so long, just observing what to do and what not to do yet to still stand out in a unique way.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
okk so on agency applications (particularly the message/describe yourself portion) what is it that agents truly care for in terms of getting to know the girl the best way possible in such short a space without being monotonous?

This summer’s nearly over so my question is mostly for future reference, but is it possible to sign with an international agency and just work through the summer months, traveling? I don’t know how difficult it is to balance college and modeling, especially when my particular university is in the middle of nowhere

• Agree
  • Useful
Reactions: 1 users
If an agency has a good reputation in terms of professionalism, dedication, etc., but (from what I can tell) their girls are average/short/larger measurements and don't seem to get much work, would they still be a good mother agency/first agency?

If an agency has a good reputation in terms of professionalism, dedication, etc., but (from what I can tell) their girls are average/short/larger measurements and don't seem to get much work, would they still be a good mother agency/first agency?
I would rather do model training/course, than submit to an average agency. The "bigger and better" agency doesn't care about you being listed previously if you have no work experience to show. You can build a portfolio without a modeling agency and that's what I would focus on. Especially since sometimes your only way to get through to see somebody inside the agency is first sending your pictures to them.

I would also see if this agency limits your opportunities of working elsewhere as long as you are signed with them. Or is the contract a deal of year or two, that you can't get out of? Does this agency offer a photoshoot with couple of different looks to start with? Do they offer any training that you could benefit from? Most importantly, do you have to pay THEM to be listed?

Reactions: 1 user
I would rather do model training/course, than submit to an average agency. The "bigger and better" agency doesn't care about you being listed previously if you have no work experience to show. You can build a portfolio without a modeling agency and that's what I would focus on. Especially since sometimes your only way to get through to see somebody inside the agency is first sending your pictures to them.

I would also see if this agency limits your opportunities of working elsewhere as long as you are signed with them. Or is the contract a deal of year or two, that you can't get out of? Does this agency offer a photoshoot with couple of different looks to start with? Do they offer any training that you could benefit from? Most importantly, do you have to pay THEM to be listed?
No- my main issues with the agency are basically the opposite of all of the "red flags" you brought up. No legitimate agency will make you pay THEM for representation, and most don't offer training either. The agency is in a smaller market (Glasgow) and is considered the best agency there, and reading their reviews, everyone says they are very professional and friendly and dedicated to advancing their models' careers. They are also listed on ShitModelMgmt's "good agencies" list. My concern is, I looked around the website (specifically the "new faces" and "development" sections although there aren't many established models in the "women" section either) and most of the girls have completely average measurements. Most girls are 5'7 or 5'8 and have 36-38 inch hips. Looking through a few of their portfolios, I really can't find any work that isn't just test shoots or digitals- and this even extends to many of the "women" models.

I'm torn because I've never signed to an agency before, and this one is close to me, with a good reputation, and a good chance of me getting signed. They also hold open calls. But at the same time, if I won't actually be getting work, I don't want to waste my time. Is the fact that a lot of their models aren't getting work a reflection of the agency, or the models' poor measurements, or both? Should I just start in a bigger market (like London?)

And I think in general, "modeling courses" are regarded as scams by people in the industry (unless it's something like IMG camp or AvantCamp.)

If I were you, I would hold out for a bigger agency. Work on building your portfolio etc and submitting to better agencies. Personally I chose my agency based on how much the girls seemed to work because I would rather get out there and have real work experience under my belt than to say I'm signed with an agency that isn't doing anything for me.

And I think in general, "modeling courses" are regarded as scams by people in the industry (unless it's something like IMG camp or AvantCamp.)
Yes my point exactly. I would rather take a course and learn something instead of signing with an agency full of red flags. There is some legit courses though where you will get the basics, but also most of this stuff can nowdays be found on YouTube as well. The rest you will learn when the work starts.

I've been signed at two agencies at the same time and they didn't limit my chances of working. Their client base was very different however, the other also did commercial and the other got me most of my catwalk gigs. It was just always important that we checked with the client about the competition law between the two agencies. Never was it an issue. So, based on what you wrote in your second message, I would go to them and submit. See what kind of contract they offer, if it doesn't limit you if you wish to sign with an other agency in a month or two, I would probably go for it.

@proseccoprincess - I’m actually going to disagree with what the others have said. If that agency is the best in its market, and you are located in Glasgow, it seems like a good idea. Just because an agency is your first agency, it does NOT necessarily mean they have to be your mother agency, especially in a market as small as Glasgow. It would be a different story if it were in a major market, or a network.

That being said- if you are seriously interested in modeling / traveling outside of Glasgow, I would suggest first approaching mother agencies who specialize in placement. I always advise this as a first step, as it really changes which doors will open for you in terms of agencies, but also because they are a very helpful resource in negotiating contracts / ensuring your general well-being.

@proseccoprincess - I’m actually going to disagree with what the others have said. If that agency is the best in its market, and you are located in Glasgow, it seems like a good idea. Just because an agency is your first agency, it does NOT necessarily mean they have to be your mother agency, especially in a market as small as Glasgow. It would be a different story if it were in a major market, or a network.

That being said- if you are seriously interested in modeling / traveling outside of Glasgow, I would suggest first approaching mother agencies who specialize in placement. I always advise this as a first step, as it really changes which doors will open for you in terms of agencies, but also because they are a very helpful resource in negotiating contracts / ensuring your general well-being.
Thank you for the advice! My "logic" in going to Glasgow agencies first is that I am a first-year at university and I've never modeled before, so I want to sign to an agency in Scotland for now so I can continue with my studies, and if modeling really takes off for me, then I'd look at moving to a bigger market. I don't think it would be a smart idea at the moment to just neglect uni and move to London right away.

I'm not sure if this agency specializes in placement- they do say they have an international reach and focus on advancing models' careers. If you PM me I can be more specific- I just don't want to give names on a public thread.

Thank you for the advice! My "logic" in going to Glasgow agencies first is that I am a first-year at university and I've never modeled before, so I want to sign to an agency in Scotland for now so I can continue with my studies, and if modeling really takes off for me, then I'd look at moving to a bigger market. I don't think it would be a smart idea at the moment to just neglect uni and move to London right away.

I'm not sure if this agency specializes in placement- they do say they have an international reach and focus on advancing models' careers. If you PM me I can be more specific- I just don't want to give names on a public thread.
I know quite a few girls who were with my London agency and their MA were smaller agencies in Scotland.. Sorry I haven’t read everything above fully but yeah. I think it pays to have a smaller MA looking after you than signing a big agency as your MA, but like above it doesn’t have to be the first agency you sign with or come across..

Also sorry to add.. DONT do a modeling course. It’s a waste of time and money. Agency’s will send you to photographers for test shoots when you sign to them to get photos that suit their market.
I spent many years in Asia and had a massive portfolio with beauty campaigns ect but as soon as I signed with my London and other European agencies they literally just put my new polaroids in my book and built it up again how they wanted it. So don’t pay for any test shoots either!!

• Agree
I know quite a few girls who were with my London agency and their MA were smaller agencies in Scotland.. Sorry I haven’t read everything above fully but yeah. I think it pays to have a smaller MA looking after you than signing a big agency as your MA, but like above it doesn’t have to be the first agency you sign with or come across..
Yeah, I've done some research on this agency and apparently they help place girls in larger agencies like Elite, Storm, etc. so it might not be a bad idea to start there.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Anyone have experience with or info on World Management? They seem pretty legit but reddit has anecdotes saying it’s a scam...

I have to choose between a few agencies this week and I’m having a lot of trouble weighing my options :hyper: DMs are welcome