Thoughts on this "Postsecret"

K

kic

This secret annoyed me. I feel like it over simplifies anorexia and implies that it is about the will-power to restrict intake and not about the obsessive and self-destructive need to restrict intake.
What do you guys think?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
This secret annoyed me. I feel like it over simplifies anorexia and implies that it is about the will-power to restrict intake and not about the obsessive and self-destructive need to restrict intake.
What do you guys think?

Meh. Reminds me of all those fat chicks saying "I wannnnnna be pro-annnna"

It's the ignorant and the jealous who popularize the myth that the anorexics are girls who want to be pretty. (It disgusts me to be honest.)

Anorexia is a symptom and never the case. The case could be most unimaginable thing in the world.

An example from a culture history book I read just this morning:
"Example of one of Rat Man's obsessive activities also displays potential of psychoanalytic reading. One summer, when the Rat Man was on vacation, he couldn't get out of his mind the obsessive idea that he was too fat and that he had to lose weight. He began running for long distances, climbing harsh mountainsides and skipping dessert in order to lose weight. One session with Freud produced a productive chain of associations for the Rat Man. The German word of fat is dick, which was also the name of an American cousin of his. It emerged that his cousin Dick was paying attention to a young woman with whom the Rat Man was also infatuated. When the Rat Man was trying to get rid of his fat he was really trying to get rid of his cousin - in his harsh punishing work-out regime he could be seen to be punishing his cousin as well as himself"

Another, real life, example was when I myself lost appetite for everything - food, sleep, life - because I thought I was no good at painting and didn't have a chance to improve either. It was my way of punishing myself when I thought I didn't have any right to live and waste space. The real case behind it was that I had a teacher, who didn't know me yet because it was the beginning of semester, but to whom I had already gained respect and trust (I still trust her; maybe she's even the person I trust most in this world). During one of our lessons, she was walking along our easels and giving opinions, mostly consisting from both critiques and compliments, but when she stopped at mine she gave me a lecture. About how bad, disgusting and pathetic my work was. How I worked only for the mark. I must be the kind of student that always gets the top marks (I couldn't deny that), she said she saw right through me and she knows I don't work for myself, I don't even try, I just use a recipe that works.
Then was the break call I went to bathroom to cry on my own (I couldn't hold it although I hate it when it happens), came back after five or ten minutes trying to act as pulled-together as I could. In these kinds of situations I can't tell reality from my own sentiment, but I discovered the whole class was absolutely shocked, so I guess it was pretty bad for real.
Returning to the fact how it affected by behaviour, I don't dare to think what would have I become, but later my class stood up for me (since the teacher kept on bashing every single lesson) and it helped a lot. I got better, alas lost any interest for painting (it used to be my favourite thing), I started skipping lessons too. It all changed to good when teacher suddenly changed her opinion about me completely, by 180°, she just started not liking me, but loving. It drove me mad, I couldn't understand her. Perhaps she talked to other teachers who knew me better. I don't know. To sum up I can say that it feels like a long time since this although it's been less than a year and a half since then.
I had utterly forgotten about this in details, sorry for such a long example, but real life experience isn't easy to tell clean-cut.

-------------

As for the will-power to be thin: bloody fucking hell, don't be such a baby! What is this television age quote when people just look at what others do and just wish, but never do anything about it!
How they try to diet and then slip and at the moment think: I wish I had the will-power to stop. And ,girl, that is your will power you are not using at the moment! It is not an abstract thing. Will power is self-control when you don't feel like it. It's never easy and if it is, it's either from having nothing to overcome or out of habit.

Don't you all miss the time when society wasn't mental illness paranoid? When dieting was normal and it was almost an every day common thing if a girl skips meals to lose weight? Because all 90's films and magazines are full of this stuff. Diet is even a cliché cool thing to do for a teenager/young woman.

Reactions: 1 users
Anorexia is a sad legitimate mental illness and like any other mental illness, it is NOT a choice. Whoever is fishing for an eating disorder is a fat attention whore & thinks she can have it as easily as a side of large fries!

It's probably from the same fatty who's enrolled in Fat Pride Committee.

Yeah, I wish I had the willpower to eat without instantly feeling obese. Mental illness just doesn't work that way.

Ignorant.Stupid.Sick.

Be careful what you wish for.

Yeah, I wish I had the willpower to eat without instantly feeling obese. Mental illness just doesn't work that way.

It gets better but you gotta fight for it. You'll feel like dying but it does pass. Much love. :kiss:

I despise people who glamourize a mental illness like anorexia. It is their fault that everyone calls skinny people anorexic without knowing anything about them!
Because someone has willpower doesn't mean that he or she is sick. Anorexics don't control their "willpower", their illness does.

Reactions: 1 users
I despise people who glamourize a mental illness like anorexia. It is their fault that everyone calls skinny people anorexic without knowing anything about them!
Because someone has willpower doesn't mean that he or she is sick. Anorexics don't control their "willpower", their illness does.

That's exactly what I was going to say, this comes from people who have no willpower to start a healthy lifestyle.

This. Everything I was thinking. Couldn't have put it better

Oh my God yes, I remember seeing that one and beeing annoyed. Because anorexics love that they don't feel the urge to binge! Anorexia is so glamorous and gives you the body of runway models! :superpuke:

I think this is just something that larger women feel. Almost like they want so badly to be thin (yet do not do the right things to make it happen, i know) but its sad on all ends. The bigger girls not understanding that its not he way to be thin its more of a side effect of the mental illness and that they can be small. I want so bad to be small but I understand all that restriction is not the way to go so I eat healthy and exercise. Those without this knowledge just assume not eating at all is the only way they will ever get there. I'm not saying its right by any means just what I think this poster says.

There's certain circles where anorexia is really glamourized even though people don't say it out loud. At least in my country some years ago we had a bad case of media and people making anorexia this damn princess-fairy decease.

There's this awesome girl who made a youtube video with a title "Anorexics are idiots". She was a recovering anorexic herself and wanted to point out how anorexics actually receive a lot of admiration (and this "tragic broken angel" crown), and how it's very harmful to very many people. She wanted to tear away this crown and laugh to her illness.

And haha - once I read a blog from a girl I knew, and she confessed she actually wants to be anorexic. One of the comments simply said "Yeah, I also want a cancer in my eye.<3"

Agreed. I wish people would realize they don't actually want the disease, they just want one of it's symptoms - thinness.

Before I got to Skinny Gossip like 2 years ago, I was a member in a pro-ana forum (shame on me :nopity:)

And THIS is exactly the attitude in this scene:
Most of the other users in the forum were chubby or downright overweight girls who wished to be skinny, but can´t make up the self control to actually do something about it.
They would rather spend time on tumblr or their pro-ana blog where they can wallow in self-pity, uploading thinspo pics with stupid captions like "I want to fade away" / "I want to walk through the rain without getting wet", blah blah... than actually go to the gym or watch their eating habits. Practice what you preach? No. Whine and complain about how hard your life is? Yes.
Most of them have a lot of psychological issues, like self-harm, childhood abuse, depressions, you name it. I´m not making fun of people with such problems, but the typical pro-ana teen seems to escape into a self-chosen illness to deal with their other problems. Anorexia and the whole pro-ana lifestyle is their anchor. They can escape into their little world full of thinspo pics, red bracelets, catchy motivational quotes and sad music.
It makes them feel special, "troubled but strong", glamourous, like some sort of martyr.

I feel sorry for these people. They should really consider to look for professional help with all their other problems, in the end, most of them don´t even have an ED.

I don't know where the pic came from, so I don't know the context. But just looking at it, I think it may be ironic. I think it might be trying to show (exactly what you're all saying) that fat people sometimes say things like that, even though they have no idea what anorexia really is.