Thoughts on the BMI enforcement

• Thread starter Monochromatic rainbow
  • Start date
M

Monochromatic rainbow

I'm sure many of you have sen this since it's well... so last year. sorry about that terrible joke. Anyway, I know many of you hate the BMI measurement as a whole and many think that a BMI of 17 is a better reference point but i'm curious where everyone else stands. So what are your thoughts on this article and more importantly what people in the industry are saying?

Also, just to let you know, the article might sound a little familiar because it features quotes of the same article used in the 'fat pride burns my hide' article on the home page.

http://www.ibtimes.com/israel-enacts-skinny-model-ban-requiring-body-mass-index-185-necessary-step-poll-428046

I think models should be skinny. 18.5 isn't for a large proportion of people. It's 'thin', sure, but barely. 17 is thin for some, skinny for fewer. Let's be real--all good models and stunning figures on the runway are at most bmi 16.25 or so

It pisses me off, because my "healthiest" weight is 17.5, And that's eating ~1800 cal per day... Hardly anorexic.

I think models should be skinny. 18.5 isn't for a large proportion of people. It's 'thin', sure, but barely. 17 is thin for some, skinny for fewer. Let's be real--all good models and stunning figures on the runway are at most bmi 16.25 or so

It is a PR move - nothing more. It is because the people complaining have no idea what the fuck they are talking about, only that they don't want to feel bad about eating shit and being fat when they look at a runway full of people that have perfected their bodies.

Also, sorry to sound snarky but israel? Not exactly a thriving fashion beacon...:lol:

:lol: Yeah, clearly the trendsetters of the world. :rolleyes:

It is a PR move - nothing more. It is because the people complaining have no idea what the fuck they are talking about, only that they don't want to feel bad about eating shit and being fat when they look at a runway full of people that have perfected their bodies.

:lol: Yeah, clearly the trendsetters of the world. :rolleyes:

THIS :lol: so true! Fashion models are not the same thing as your monthers 'role models', they have to be perfectly skinny to show the art of the clothes etc! BMI is definitely over rated, literally. I like to go by it in a general way, but the 'health' of someone by a certain point of it, I think really depends. People in developed countries are just so scared of being skinny/not have any fat on you and getting enough to eat, so much to the fact of where we are today with fucked up obesity etc:rolleyes: don't drag the fashion industry down too!

In all shows, markets, I ever worked, there was never "BMI enforcement", it is all for the papers to get attention for small place that don't matter, like Isreal and Madrid

If they did it in real places, none of us can go, no agency can send models :hide:

Also its dumb talk, no designer want it really, they all want us skinnyest

The BMI thing is ridiculous.

If they really want their models to be HEALTHY, then they should make them do blood tests before booking them. But off course, no one would suggest that because it's way too expensive. :rolleyes:

BMI is a load of crap. My natural BMI, when I'm eating garbage, not exercising, and generally being a disgusting human being is 16.9. Everyone carries weight differently, and to hold such a varied group of people to the exact same standards is ridiculous. And, really, as long as the models aren't falling out on the walk, and appear to be generally healthy and happy, why is it such a big deal?

BMI is a load of crap. My natural BMI, when I'm eating garbage, not exercising, and generally being a disgusting human being is 16.9. Everyone carries weight differently, and to hold such a varied group of people to the exact same standards is ridiculous. And, really, as long as the models aren't falling out on the walk, and appear to be generally healthy and happy, why is it such a big deal?

Exactly. And then there's athletes and stuff where their BMI says their overweight:wtf:, when really it's just more muscle mass. It's all height and weight, but takes into no account of how you carry that weight and the ratio of fat-muscle, as fat obviously weighs less(but more in volume...)

I think it is a joke! Clearly no one is following this rule, nor should they. BMI is a complete and utter crock of you-know-what.