THOSE WITH FASHION KNOWLEDGE: Which fashion magazines do YOU read?

Serea

Rising Star
Jul 21, 2016
United States
(I was trying to find a thread before starting this one, but I could not come up with anything. I apologize in advance if something similar is located in an area to which I have no access; moderators, please delete this if you see it necessary to. Anyhoo . . .)

So yes, as the thread's title says: Which fashion magazines do you fashion-savvy ladies enjoy reading? I've infrequently bought US Vogue in the past - I was subscribed for about a year, come to think of it - but I became rather bored of it, what with all of the celebrity (as opposed to model) covers/articles/editorials (WHYYY?). Granted, my subscription ended about 3 years ago, so perhaps the magazine has been good lately? I thought about buying it the other month, but then saw T Swift on the cover and ran . . . :run:

I've actually contemplated subscribing to British Vogue, as some Amazon reviews said it was better, but I'd like to get a more . . . credible opinion before shelling out $140.

Basically I'm a fashion newbie and I'd love some input from those who know good a good fashion magazine when they see one. Any recommendations would be much appreciated, as I know nothing. :kiss:

I've actually contemplated subscribing to British Vogue, as some Amazon reviews said it was better, but I'd like to get a more . . . credible opinion before shelling out $140.
Sorry, I'm not exactly the professional opinion that you're looking for, but British Vogue is exactly the same with celebs/nepotism models on the cover and taking up the whole magazine. I cancelled my subscription because the last time anyone I care about was on the cover was Freja in January 2015 (!!) and it got to the point where the best part of the magazine was spotting my favourite skinnies in the ads (okay that's always the best part but still). That being said I definitely remember the style section being decent so if you can skip past a few "insta it-girl of the moment" articles then it might be worth it.
I personally recommend Porter magazine, I like the style sections and editorials which are a big part of the magazine as it's run by net-a-porter. I also looove the party/evening wear part at the back;) I'm sure there are more fashionable girls who can weigh in on the recommendations though:flower:

Reactions: 1 user
@chicbones thank you for your reply! :kiss: Oh my goodness, re-reading the title, I hope I didn't sound exclusive or off-putting; I didn't mean Certified Fashion Experts ;), moreso just meant anyone who has some knowledge on the subject . . . and good taste!

That's insane that British Vogue does the same bloody thing as US Vogue. It's a fashion magazine . . . where are the models? OH, pshh, that's right - we've got celebrities that we can just squeeze into couture and call it a day! But I'll definitely check out Porter magazine - it sounds interesting! Thank you again! :flower:

I went to fashion school and a lot of us really loved Dazed and iD. Maybe not a fashion magazine in particular, but for the most part free of nepotism and far more interesting than the more streamline magazines.

Reactions: 3 users
In my opinion you should buy different magazines and see the one you like the most. Vogue is definitely overrated currently, but for me the best ones are the Russian and the Italian issues.
Be fancy! Every month buy something new: Flair, Dazed, w magazine... Get inspired

Italian and French Vogue are definitely way more interesting than the English and American one.
I'd say it depends on what you hope to find out by reading fashion magazines. For a quick read on the subway, I sometimes also enjoy Harper's Bazaar, but if you want something really savvy, the only mag I can recommend is 032c.

Vogue is DULL.

I recommend i-D, Lula, Russh, Oyster, Purple, Pop, Dazed, System, LOVE, Buffalo Zine, Mirage, Metal, Pylot, Interview, 032c, Badlands777, Wonderland, Muse, U+Mag, Love Want.

Check them out. So much more interesting and creative and inspiring than snore fest Vogue.

• Agree
Reactions: 11 users
@clairefhjao I love that idea! I'm such an idiot sometimes, I could almost thump myself - I sincerely didn't think about that, and was wondering what I'd do if I signed up for some subscription and it ended up being a shit-fest. Thank you!

@sore I love the idea of getting European editions of Vogue - good thinking! Quick (possibly stupid) question though - are they completely written in French/Italian, or are there any English parts? Heh, I could always just buy one of those Travelers' Pocket Dictionaries (or whatever they're called) and translate it. I guess it'd last longer that way, anyways. ;) Many thanks!

@sabine I've never heard of at least half of those - thank you, thank you!! Ah, I'm so glad to know that I'm not the only one who finds Vogue boring. When I was subscribed to it, there were a couple of times when I wondered if I just wasn't "fancy enough" to enjoy the material. :p

Again, my sincerest thanks! :flower:

@Serea
No, they are in French and Italian. Good way to learn new languages though!
You don't seem to know a lot about fashion publications (I don't say this to be mean, just stating the obvious), so maybe you should starting reading the Fashion Spot forums. They have a subsection for magazines and usually all editorials are scanned and posted. Often there's also a table of contents provided. It'll give you a glimpse about the general art direction and concept behind the publication, maybe that'll help you choose.
Also, have a look at some models' profiles on models.com. Especially edgier ones like, say, Hanne Gaby or maybe even girls like Lexi or Binx have editorials in magazines you might not have heard of, but that are usually more interesting than American Vogue. To be honest, almost every single magazine is.
Also, many magazines have tablet/app-editions, especially useful for lesser known magazines that may not ship to your town.

@sore no worries! You're not being mean, by any means! :kiss: It's the truth, I really know nothing about fashion magazines, and I don't even know anyone who cares much about fashion, so suggestions from friends are not an option. Honestly, I truly appreciate your help and input - not to mention, I desperately need it! :p

That's actually really . . . awesome that French and Italian Vogue are in their respective languages (as they well should be!). I've always wanted to learn French . . . I mean, I took French 101 years ago in college, but knowing how to count to seven in French probably won't get me far. ;)

@sore
That's actually really . . . awesome that French and Italian Vogue are in their respective languages (as they well should be!). I've always wanted to learn French . . . I mean, I took French 101 years ago in college, but knowing how to count to seven in French probably won't get me far. ;)
If you're into French try Numéro - I adore French but I've never studied it (I want to learn it but I have to focus on Chinese and German for now because I have exams in them) and I manage to understand a lot of it. The editorials are gorgeous and they always have good covers (Stella Lucia this month:luv:).

If you're into French try Numéro - I adore French but I've never studied it (I want to learn it but I have to focus on Chinese and German for now because I have exams in them) and I manage to understand a lot of it. The editorials are gorgeous and they always have good covers (Stella Lucia this month:luv:).

Isn't it sad that covers featuring real models are a dying breed? I was browsing eBay the other day, looking through old copies of various European/Asian/Australian Vogue magazines from the early 2000s, and couldn't believe how many SG favourites were on the covers. I'll definitely check out Numéro!

By the way - I did end up buying a copy of Porter, as per your suggestion, and I was soooo pleased with it!!! :kiss:

Reactions: 2 users
I think it depends on what you're looking for. I buy Vogue Italia every month (I adore Steven Meisel) and French Vogue. I wouldn't bother with the US version and neither with the British one. Too dull and commercial. I want to work as a stylist, so I really enjoy looking at editorials, Elle has some nice ones, LOVE too. ID, Wmag & Purple Magazine are very interesting if you care more about interviews/articles. The fashion column of the New York Times is also very informative

Unearthing this dead thread for input: I read Interview and The Gentlewoman, because reading them is as enjoyable as looking at them and they're actually huge as well.

Serious plus is that the Gentlewoman makes a wonderful coffee table book.

Bumping this thread to talk about Racked, which was wonderful while it lasted.

Body Positivity Is a Scam

An Incredibly Exhaustive History of Celebrities at Fashion Week

We’ve Forgotten How to Dress Like Adults

• Love
Bumping this thread to talk about Racked, which was wonderful while it lasted.

Body Positivity Is a Scam

An Incredibly Exhaustive History of Celebrities at Fashion Week

We’ve Forgotten How to Dress Like Adults

Racked actually still exists -- it just rebranded as The Goods, a vertical that covers a broader scope of consumer culture. Most of their (excellent) fashion writers and editors are still there.

Racked actually still exists -- it just rebranded as The Goods, a vertical that covers a broader scope of consumer culture. Most of their (excellent) fashion writers and editors are still there.

That's good to hear, I really enjoy Julia Rubin's work! I'm so out of date with media news that I didn't even know that Recode is now part of Vox (and I live right next to SV).

That's good to hear, I really enjoy Julia Rubin's work! I'm so out of date with media news that I didn't even know that Recode is now part of Vox (and I live right next to SV).

I don't blame you -- the industry moves fast! The only reason I'm able to keep up is that I work in media, haha.