Thinspiration Movies & Shows

I get where you're coming from 100%.
to clarify, I'm not pro-ana. i am not emo i rarely use tumblr and i normally don't come with "drama" but i see why you'd think that.

sorry it's bugging you i don't really see how there's a solution to this? i think you're basing your assumptions of me based on a few things you've been exposed to in a short amount of time and while that is obviously not a fair judge of character i can't force you to reconsider my character and i'm not going to try to unless you'd be open to it. (this isn't meant to be taken offensively by the way i just can't find a better way to word it).

with that said, sorry i bugged you and i apologize for any and all miscommunications that i was involved in.

That's fine, when I wrote that I was on your Twitter and it made me want to strangle you. Maybe I'm wrong and I'll fall in love with you. Doubt it though.

• Funny
Reactions: 1 user
That's fine, when I wrote that I was on your Twitter and it made me want to strangle you. Maybe I'm wrong and I'll fall in love with you. Doubt it though.

Yeah once again, I get where you're coming from. 90% of my account is satire-esque and sarcasm-esque but if you don't love it you don't love it! thank you for being open-minded at least.

Glad there are no longer any bad vibes regarding this scenario. Thank you again for choosing to not attack and embarrass me on here when i know you could have it means a lot.

Reactions: 1 users
My "loved that" was sarcastic lol i thought that was obvious I apologize for the miscommunication!!!! Sarcasm doesn't translate well over typing :/ I'll edit my post and take that out. --- Kidding I can't edit it but for anyone else reading this interaction I was being sarcastic.

Again- my "loved that" was sarcastic. My ED isn't really bad right now so i guess in between sufferring/recovering.

Your "loved that" seemed as far away from sarcastic as it can get. We do not promote or glamorize any sort of eating disorder. Here's the thing with black swan, when she threw up, it was likely because the class was so intense and she was nervous. I did ballet for 17 years and was nearly professional before my injury, and it happened to so many of us, especially in auditions. Our bodies just reacted that way. However, in To The Bone, the girl clearly has anorexia. We can't say the same thing about Natalie Portman's character. Just because she denies a piece of cake doesn't mean she's anorexic? So I'm not sure where you're getting this from.

As for someone getting on your twitter, don't use the same username for everything. SG is very private and we usually don't like giving away anything too personal. You put those tweets out there for anyone to read. I think the majority of us involved here are genuinely concerned for you, as you absolutely seem to be struggling heavily. SG is a great place to get support and make friends, but PLEASE take some time and read the forums to get a feel of this environment.

• Agree
Couldn't the same be said for Black Swan? The main character was anorexic/bulimic and yet it's listed in this thread.

My apologies regardless.
Joining @FrançoiseEllyn in saying that I don't agree with this idea - there's evidence of a Dorian Gray sort of mental state in Natalie Portman's character, however her eating habits are nothing different than what is described in the best thread on this forum (pinned up in Member Articles, which maybe you'll be able to read soon).

I'm personally quite bothered by the idolisation of Bella Hadid stuff.

• Agree
  • Dislike
PSFDQ2U.jpg

5Tne3Rb.jpg

Y6ppGjn.jpg

8k986e6.jpg

51NVLaS.jpg

@lilangel I know some of these may have been exaggerated for social media, and perhaps it's not my place to say, but it seems like you might not be in the best place right now mentally to be spending time on a forum dedicated to weight loss and being skinny (despite this site promoting healthy weight loss).
I'm personally quite bothered by the idolisation of Bella Hadid stuff.

I'm extremely icked out by the fact that people here are browsing her personal twitter for fodder. I'd like to remind people that this happened to a member before - her SG username matched a Twitter handle, someone happened to find her, she didn't pretend it wasn't her, some posts were used to shit on her - and the person who "outed" her received a nice pink slap and hasn't been back since.

This community is about health. Not bullying or doxxing someone who's expressing suicidality.

I personally would like to offer @lilangel a bit of support. If you find the material in SG triggering in any way, take a break. But you can find threads on depression and anxiety, and girls here who can offer hope. Also, if you're not seeing a counselor, I'd highly recommend it.

• Agree
  • Disagree
Reactions: 11 users
I'm extremely icked out by the fact that people here are browsing her personal twitter for fodder. I'd like to remind people that this happened to a member before - her SG username matched a Twitter handle, someone happened to find her, she didn't pretend it wasn't her, some posts were used to shit on her - and the person who "outed" her received a nice pink slap and hasn't been back since.

This community is about health. Not bullying or doxxing someone who's expressing suicidality.

I personally would like to offer @lilangel a bit of support. If you find the material in SG triggering in any way, take a break. But you can find threads on depression and anxiety, and girls here who can offer hope. Also, if you're not seeing a counselor, I'd highly recommend it.

Yeah, honestly I really understand this feeling and I'm offering some well-intentioned self-criticism here in saying that I am sorry for joining in on the hostility and understanding where your words are coming from and how this must have felt for her.
I definitely would not use her personal statements to criticise her however, they're not really statements that should be criticised because I think that everyone should express themselves in the voice and way that they feel is a good outlet for them! @lilangel sorry for being bitchy (but also please explain the bella hadid thing), tbqh I really want to talk skincare with you and I also really like your internet voice, if you ran a meme page on instagram I'd 100% follow you.

Reactions: 2 users

I was not trying to use her tweets as a way to expose her or out her in anyway. I did not scour through her posts to find ways to make her look bad, that would never be my intention, especially to someone struggling with their mental health.

I understand now that it was inappropriate to publicly post that, however after seeing her comment regarding that she was in between suffering and recovering from an ED, the tweets made me uncomfortable. I wouldn't want this forum to be harmful to anyone in that way and was truly just trying to show my concern.

I have discussed and cleared up any confusion with @lilangel privately and also wish her the best. I apologize for any stress I have caused her.

• Agree
Reactions: 6 users
:rolleyes: that's not doxxing ffs it's like literally the opposite:
Your twitter is anonymous. On your introduction thread you clearly stated you didn't give a fuck if your followers saw you on here. You should understand that some of your tweets are clearly alarming to us (and by all means if you need support most of us can provide it) but don't pretend you were using depression and eating disorders as a means of "satire". Like @FashionThin said we're not doxxing anyone, no one knows who you are.

• Agree
Reactions: 5 users
Disagree: in this case it's not like @Lysa deliberately went to go looking for her randomly and in an unwarrented way -- her twitter was explicitly mentioned in @lilangel 's introduction thread and the user herself said she doesn't mind cross pollination. Totally different vibe from the incident you're referrencing imo.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users
:rolleyes: that's not doxxing ffs it's like literally the opposite:
Yeah, I think I was thinking about the previous situation that had happened here, where ID was actually revealed. Bad use of vocabulary, sorry guys.

Glad to hear that people have been mature in resolving any concerns with lilangel.

(but also please explain the bella hadid thing)
her twitter was explicitly mentioned in @lilangel 's introduction thread and the user herself said she doesn't mind cross pollination. Totally different vibe from the incident you're referrencing imo.

I'm so torn on this in particular. If someone's going to cross-pollinate accounts, whatever, that's their choice. If you're old enough to be on the internet, you should be old enough to know better. But do we reeeally want to have the kind of culture where if you share other accounts, members are going to scroll through to a post from last month and call you out to "please explain" publicly why your opinions are different from the rest of the forums? To me, it's just easiest to draw that line where the forums end - if lilangel wanted to share her unpopular opinion on Bella in the forums, she would have done so. She didn't.

And then again, if you're a big deal on Twitter, you should probably know how the internet works. I dunno.

giphy.gif

I still stand by the "let's maybe go easy on the public shaming of someone who's repeatedly expressing suicidal ideation."

• Agree
  • Love
Yeah thanks but I'll probably never be on this site again! Really not enjoyable having numerous people just shit on me for things without even having spoken a word to me and then having people be supported just because they're well-liked wasn't fun either!

Yeah thanks but I'll probably never be on this site again! Really not enjoyable having numerous people just shit on me for things without even having spoken a word to me and then having people be supported just because they're well-liked wasn't fun either!
We don't have the reputation of being the nicest site. HF twitter is much nicer, here people won't ignore wierd/stupid/dramatic posts. You learned it the hard way. Once you get the way we handle things you'll find that we are a great community.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 5 users

Hi, I understand how you feel after receiving some harsh critisism and hence your reaction now is to flee.

Nevertheless, after reading the posts, you can see that some members actually tried their best to support you and not everyone agreed with the usage of personal tweets against you.

You may just leave this site, since we are all anonymous people online anyway, or you may choose to prove us all wrong and persevere through this rough start. If you do choose to stay, I'd like to say that despite the harsh exterior, the community here is very close knit, inspiring and worth sticking around for.

• Agree
Now to not derail this thread any more, I'd like to say that thinspiration for me is linked with elegance. Watching graceful, intelligent people always reminds me of how amazing it would be to have the full package (including a skinny body). I guess a classic example would be Breakfast at Tiffany's because I desire to have Audrey's aesthetic and charm.

Another (odd?) example would be Gossip Girl. None of the actresses are super skinny but they are all still slim and watching their beautiful surroundings and dresses just reminds me of how l need to be skinny in order to enjoy my social life to the full. I also compare the skinnier actresses to the fuller ones and notice how the skinnier ones tend to look more captivating.

Now to not derail this thread any more, I'd like to say that thinspiration for me is linked with elegance. Watching graceful, intelligent people always reminds me of how amazing it would be to have the full package (including a skinny body). I guess a classic example would be Breakfast at Tiffany's because I desire to have Audrey's aesthetic and charm.

Another (odd?) example would be Gossip Girl. None of the actresses are super skinny but they are all still slim and watching their beautiful surroundings and dresses just reminds me of how l need to be skinny in order to enjoy my social life to the full. I also compare the skinnier actresses to the fuller ones and notice how the skinnier ones tend to look more captivating.

I can relate with the Gossip Girl one! I feel like Leighton Meester would have looked SO striking if her cheekbones were more prominent, but oh my gosh whoever cast her as Blair Waldorf knows their stuff. She does rich preppy backstabbing bitch so well and I am absolutely in love with her acting! I don't remember everything super clearly, but I really don't think Blake Lively was very thin for the show. She has a pretty face though, and I loved her as Serena. The actress who played Lily was super stunning-she seemed so fashionable (and French???? Not sure why I got that impression haha) and I recall her being pretty skinny, if not Vlada-skinny.

Watching Peaky Blinders has me drooling over all the actresses! Annabelle Wallis looks model-thin in that show, and Sophie Rundle looks really good too. The 1920s aesthetic seems to favor skinny and bony girls, so I think any 1920s period drama would work well for "thinspiration". There was one 1920s movie with Keira Knightley in it, and she looked amazing.

Finally, another sort of "weird" one-the Devil Wears Prada. Watching Andy's transformation is super inspiring, and even if she isn't extremely thin at the end, it's more about how her style and how the way she carries herself changes. Of course, there's also Emily's obsession with losing weight (the "I don't eat until I feel like passing out, and then I eat a cube of cheese" line or whatever sticks with me) but that obviously isn't healthy, and I think that it's definitely meant to portray how warped her perception of her body/food is rather than encourage other women to follow Emily's example.

Sorry for the double post, but I just thought of another one-this documentary called Food, Inc. It's basically about the American food industry and how big companies can force small farmers who work for them into treating animals like crap and how utterly processed our food is (plus some examples of how unsanitary the entire industry is and it highlights some cases of food poisoning). Honestly, just watching that makes my stomach churn and I feel like crying every time I see those poor animals. I'm actually considering going vegetarian (and maybe transitioning to vegan?) due to this film! Besides my obvious goal of losing weight, I think that eating less meat/animal products will REALLY help the environment (cow farts and burps, as hilarious as they seem, are actually one of the leading causes of global climate change-methane is probably one of the worst greenhouse gases out there) and I don't feel right giving my money to companies who have no respect for animals and the environment.

So in a way, it's thinspiration, because seeing how poorly the animals are treated and how gross the processing plants are makes me want to subsist entirely on locally grown organic food for the rest of my life :D I really do think that it's a worthwhile watch, not even as someone who wants to lose weight but just as someone who wants to be a more ethical consumer!

Here is copy pasted summary from Google:

"Documentary filmmaker Robert Kenner examines how mammoth corporations have taken over all aspects of the food chain in the United States, from the farms where our food is grown to the chain restaurants and supermarkets where it's sold. Narrated by author and activist Eric Schlosser, the film features interviews with average Americans about their dietary habits, commentary from food experts like Michael Pollan and unsettling footage shot inside large-scale animal processing plants."

(Sorry for going a little off topic-this is a subject I happen to be fairly passionate about, haha. Sorry if my mini-rant thing up there was a bit rambly!)

• Agree
Netflix recently uploaded a Danish movie to it's Mexican selection called The Model (2016). It's about "an emerging model, who struggles to enter the Parisian fashion scene and develops a dangerous obsession for a fashion photographer".

The plot is bleh, but it's somewhat entertaining and insightful (also great thinspiration at some points). Thought some of you may enjoy it!

Cast: Maria Palm, Charlotte Tomaszewska, Ed Skrein.

maxresdefault.jpg

movie-scene2.jpg

la-et-mn-mini-model-review-20160808-snap

Screen Shot 2017-08-14 at 5.18.36 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-08-14 at 5.19.31 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-08-14 at 5.20.53 PM.png

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Sloane Peterson from Ferris Bueller's Day Off was always an underrated character in my opinion. She was cool, classy, and had great 80s style.
IMG_5761.JPG
IMG_5765.JPG
IMG_5763.JPG

• Agree