The World Of Luxury Fashion Bloggers/Vloggers

perkybones

Rising Star
Jun 30, 2014
UK
Something recently came to my attention.

Most brands (Bvlgari, Dior... you name it) are shamelessly throwing their best products/latest launches to some over-privileged, nouveau riche women on the internet.

First of all, I wondered why. Their audiences are probably not able to afford the things.

Second of all, it has put me off those brands. I really wanted a Bvlgari bag, Self Portrait dress (etc..) but now I feel like they are everywhere... kind of like Zara clothing.

I was seriously wondering why big fashion houses have taken this unnecessary turn? They pay for luxury stays in Paris, gift thousands of £s worth of product and these girls take on multiple brands, too.

Don't get me wrong, I love luxury. I love brands and take pride in what I get. However, a lot of these women seem slightly gormless, and super unappreciative.

Here are some examples of girls who get the stuff

Amelia Liana (daughter of a super rich business man): Best & Worst Luxury Purchases | Amelia Liana
InTheFrow (PhD in fashion marketing. Her videos DO NOT reflect that): Luxury Shoe Haul Unboxing: Chanel and Dior | Inthefrow
Lydia Millen (I do not know who she is..): HANDBAG HAUL | GUCCI, VALENTINO, BULGARI | Lydia Elise Millen

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Until I actually was around the old fashion houses, I thought they were so big and powerful that they almost didn't have to try and didn't need to, like they just ran on this beautiful inertia or magic. Turns out they're just a desperate, begging for features and counting their celebrities and, from what I could tell, this was one major way their brand they monitored their success. But, grain of salt, maybe not all houses are like this. But, like bloggers, brands are using Kendall, Gigi, Bella, Hailey, and Sofia Ritchiewtf for the same reason.

• Agree
Reactions: 8 users
I don't think they really get luxury gifts, they usually buy that kind of stuff themselves. Yes, they get free stuff and a chance to travel, but those are sponsored usually by lower-end brands. Most of their income comes from google ads and rstyle.

But I do appreciate that most of the vloggers are self-made women, not like "Ken-dull", Kylie, Gigi, etc

I don't think they really get luxury gifts, they usually buy that kind of stuff themselves. Yes, they get free stuff and a chance to travel, but those are sponsored usually by lower-end brands. Most of their income comes from google ads and rstyle.

But I do appreciate that most of the vloggers are self-made women, not like "Ken-dull", Kylie, Gigi, etc
Bvlgari endlessly gifts their serpenti bags...

Yes, I agree that at least they are self-made.

But technically, what do they actually do other than promoting things they get for free/showing their ridiculous amount of shopping?

Until I actually was around the old fashion houses, I thought they were so big and powerful that they almost didn't have to try and didn't need to, like they just ran on this beautiful inertia or magic. Turns out they're just a desperate, begging for features and counting their celebrities and, from what I could tell, this was one major way their brand they monitored their success. But, grain of salt, maybe not all houses are like this. But, like bloggers, brands are using Kendall, Gigi, Bella, Hailey, and Sofia Ritchiewtf for the same reason.
^^ wtf typing. ugh restricting brain. sorry guys

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Something recently came to my attention.

Most brands (Bvlgari, Dior... you name it) are shamelessly throwing their best products/latest launches to some over-privileged, nouveau riche women on the internet.

First of all, I wondered why. Their audiences are probably not able to afford the things.

Second of all, it has put me off those brands. I really wanted a Bvlgari bag, Self Portrait dress (etc..) but now I feel like they are everywhere... kind of like Zara clothing.

I was seriously wondering why big fashion houses have taken this unnecessary turn? They pay for luxury stays in Paris, gift thousands of £s worth of product and these girls take on multiple brands, too.

Don't get me wrong, I love luxury. I love brands and take pride in what I get. However, a lot of these women seem slightly gormless, and super unappreciative.

Here are some examples of girls who get the stuff

Amelia Liana (daughter of a super rich business man): Best & Worst Luxury Purchases | Amelia Liana
InTheFrow (PhD in fashion marketing. Her videos DO NOT reflect that): Luxury Shoe Haul Unboxing: Chanel and Dior | Inthefrow
Lydia Millen (I do not know who she is..): HANDBAG HAUL | GUCCI, VALENTINO, BULGARI | Lydia Elise Millen
Are you sure they got the products for free? I am aware that people often lie on Youtube, but generally verified youtubers say when a video is sponsored. Here, they are telling they bought the products...

Are you sure they got the products for free? I am aware that people often lie on Youtube, but generally verified youtubers say when a video is sponsored. Here, they are telling they bought the products...
I feel like a lot of the time if the product is a big youtube "trend item" -like, I don't know, the Gucci Dionysus or something- the vlogger definitely did purchase it themselves because the product is already so popular that it sells itself and the brand needn't give it away for free. This subset of bloggers/vloggers are so unoriginal that it's only expected that they'll all buy the same item once it starts gaining momentum online, if you know what I mean?

The Bvlgari bag though- you can tell it's a prop they all got for free. It's not like Bvlgari is a major player in the handbag market and it will never attain the "status symbol" level in these communities quite like a big gold double-C can, or even Gucci monogram now. Kind of sus that they all "omgosh love the Bvlgari sooo much" at the same time. So in this case, these youtubers wouldn't be seen with the bag if they weren't getting it for free.

• Agree
The bloggers/vloggers may be 'self-made' in terms of their own promotion, but when you look at their instagrams etc a lot of them clearly have daddy's money or rich husbands to fund their huge spending habits. Which in turn get them followers when they post lots of pictures of luxury products. People fawn all over them but its not like they really worked that hard compared to other people!

Lena Perminova was imprisoned in Russia for drug dealing and married the local official who sprung her from jail who is twice her age... and now everyone loves her. All she did was marry a very rich man then show off her life, hot body, and luxury purchases on instagram. Not saying she's not beautiful (I follow her), but it's just depressing in this day and age how people idolise those with money and material goods rather than people with talent or those who actually do some good in the world. It gives a bad impression to young people who think that getting enough money to live a luxurious life is the biggest priority.

• Agree
  • Love
Reactions: 6 users
And it seems that a lot of them do get free trips from fashion brands, they are always posting on their instagram "thank you <insert brand> for this amazing lunch / trip / party " etc

Yes, these youtubers are very lucky, they go on trips, they get free stuff all the time, go to exclusive events, some of them had started showing what they get in their PR boxes and it's a LOT from so many companies. It's rather annoying considering most of them have no talent really. When it comes to makeup tutorials, it's always the same neutral eye looks, when it comes to lookbooks I keep seeing the same Self Portrait dresses and Chanel boy bags.

• Agree
The bloggers/vloggers may be 'self-made' in terms of their own promotion, but when you look at their instagrams etc a lot of them clearly have daddy's money or rich husbands to fund their huge spending habits. Which in turn get them followers when they post lots of pictures of luxury products. People fawn all over them but its not like they really worked that hard compared to other people!

Lena Perminova was imprisoned in Russia for drug dealing and married the local official who sprung her from jail who is twice her age... and now everyone loves her. All she did was marry a very rich man then show off her life, hot body, and luxury purchases on instagram. Not saying she's not beautiful (I follow her), but it's just depressing in this day and age how people idolise those with money and material goods rather than people with talent or those who actually do some good in the world. It gives a bad impression to young people who think that getting enough money to live a luxurious life is the biggest priority.

I agree, especially the end part, but there's nothing wrong with marrying rich or wanting to. idk anyone who would rather have a poor guy.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

This is the truth, old fashion houses can't even afford themselves, that's why some chinese people own 30% of Prada House currently (china, where all the real rich people comes from anyway)

Oh my god their make up tutorials are SO bad!! All the makeup artists I work with hate them. Now everyone copies them and walks around looking like Kim kardashian gone wrong.

Yes, these youtubers are very lucky, they go on trips, they get free stuff all the time, go to exclusive events, some of them had started showing what they get in their PR boxes and it's a LOT from so many companies. It's rather annoying considering most of them have no talent really. When it comes to makeup tutorials, it's always the same neutral eye looks, when it comes to lookbooks I keep seeing the same Self Portrait dresses and Chanel boy bags.
O

• Agree
Oh my god their make up tutorials are SO bad!! All the makeup artists I work with hate them. Now everyone copies them and walks around looking like Kim kardashian gone wrong.

O

I am surprised Lisa Eldridge, who as far as I know is a well established makeup artist, does collaborations with these youtubers.

And it seems that a lot of them do get free trips from fashion brands, they are always posting on their instagram "thank you <insert brand> for this amazing lunch / trip / party " etc
It's definitely true. Chiara Ferragni (theblondesalad) stays for free at Palazzo Parigi everytime she's in Milan, family included. I know this for sure, I do not know how beneficial it is for the hotel tho...the bigger the blogger/vlogger gets the more they pretend free things. There was a controversy with Chiara and Dolce & Gabbana a few years ago because she was demanding a free Miss Sicily Bag and they took it bad and banned her from their shows lol. But I know so many stories like this, that's why I definitely don't pay attention to bloggers & influencers, they don't make trends, they follow them and just wear whatever a brand is paying them to advertise. That's not personal style, you're literally a walking ad. It is a nice way to make a living, for sure, but I don't know how much credibility those people have with the industry people, we'll see how some them will transit from this.
Though, of course a bag (or any piece of accessories) needs to be seen on the right people to get that cult status. I was so surprised/sad to see insta models on the Miu Miu catwalk those past seasons, but look at how many hits and attention the Dahlia Bag by Miu Miu got after Gigi Hadid got papped with it twice. It is a business, we just have to accept it.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Bloggers don't have a long life-span for their career. They only blog about their lives, and honestly once they hit a certain age, I'm not sure people will care. These people seem to spend money lavishly but their career won't last long, but they can take the Lauren Conrad approach and find a way to outlast others.

Reactions: 1 user
Totally agree! My only worry is the way in which it sets an example to young children of what "success" is these days
I'm pretty sure that's why they do it. They need to hook a young audience into their products so as they grow older the brand becomes their "love mark". People nowdays are less faithful to brands.

Honestly, most of these girls are just vulgar. They don't appear very intelligent and I don't get the fascination with them. Nor do I understand the men who want to marry them. sorrynotsorry

• Agree